Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

This one is pretty tough since the two states seem to complement each other pretty well. Not sure if I can decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,841 times
bump-
Being a Virginian, I have bias, as does everyone else, but... there is no way to compare NoVa with Charlotte, and no argument can be sustained that suggests that Charlotte has any advantage over the NoVa area except that it still might retain a more genteel atmosphere. You have to think that NoVa is part of a CSA that has over 8M in population and the Va part ranks as one of the wealthiest and has one of most highly educated populations in the US. Secondly, since the unemployment rate in VA is a good deal lower than that of NC, I'd say that the citizens of VA generally are better off than their NC counterparts. Last time I checked, the city that I live in, Lynchburg, had a lower unemployment rate than the best NC had to offer, which is the Raleigh area. You might point out that the Lynchburg metro area is about a seventh the size of the Raleigh area, but considering that the Lynchburg's unemployment rate is three times worse than NoVa, I'd say that the job situation is pretty good here in VA.
If I were to move to NC, I'd be looking in the Triad area for sure- about 15 miles north of Winston, to be exact.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 PM

16 posts, read 135,390 times
Default Virginia is Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyporsche View Post
yeh and how much cotton does va produce?? practically none... and my dad was born in suffolk va, and my aunt still lives there.. its very near virginia beach and he never saw any spanish moss growing up... so i dont beleive that pic... there is even a facebook group that says just bc your inbreed and have no teeth doesnt make u a southerner... saying Va isnt a southern state... where in georgia, florida and north carolina did u live??? did u live in atlanta, south florida, and asheville?? places that are the most diverse and prob least southern in there respective states....
First, having been raised near the VA/NC border, I pretty much think both states have great cities, but I have to lean more towards Virginia.

Now, I have lived in Suffolk, Virginia for over twenty years, and I can say that Virginia is definitely southern. Suffolk DOES have Spanish moss in a few areas, but not as much as Virginia Beach. Just because your dad never saw it doesn't mean it ain't there. I haven't even been to all areas of Suffolk, because it is such a large area.

I also noticed you didn't believe the picture posted of Spanish moss in Virginia Beach. If you want proof, just visit First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, Virginia. That place is covered in Spanish moss, very beautiful. Among other well-known southern species, Virginia also has bald cypress, water tupelo, southern magnolia, and southern live oaks. If you don't know the scientific name of the southern live oak, it is Quercus virginiana. Again, Quercus VIRGINIAna! If you need to know the range of other southern species in Virginia, just go to the USDA Plant database on the web.

You said that the National Weather Service puts Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic as a way to attempt to prove your point about Virginia not being in the South. But, the National Weather Service puts Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina in the Mid-Atlantic region. So does this make the Carolinas non-southern also, NO! Just look up Charleston, SC on the NOAA-NWS webpage and click on the radar imagery at the bottom. It will then bring up a big picture of the Mid-Atlantic.
Or you could follow this link NOAA Graphical Forecast for Mid Atlantic
The NOAA also has climate maps which separates states into different climate regions. In this map, Virginia is placed in the Southeast.
Here's the link U.S. Climate Regions

Most websites place Virginia in the South or Southeast. Just because there are other websites that might place Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast, does not make Virginia a northern state. It is still and always will be a southern state!

For those who don't think of Virginia as a southern state just shows your ignorance. Also, for someone who was a history major in school, you of all people should know that Virginia was a Confederate state, not Yankee.

Oh and about that Facebook page you mentioned, this proves nothing. For someone who went through schooling, which will require research, you should know which types of websites are reliable. I'm sure you have heard of MLA and APA, so I don't think I need to explain any further.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
While I normally don't pay to much attention to the polls on C/D, I think this pool shows youhow close these two states are. The more I think about these two I hold to this:
1.Their is not a single city in VA that can compare to Charlotte.
2. There is not a metro in NC that can compare to NoVA.

After that the rest is tick for track. Although I do want tip say that the true beauty of both areas are the small towns.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM

126 posts, read 296,130 times
I don't think this was the appropriate poll because of the similarities, but I have to go with North Carolina. There's more cities to choose from in different areas.

Last edited by carolinagrown; 08-06-2012 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Beside VA Beach (which I absolutely love)....NC cities win..We're not talking about all of Northern VA and the little towns and suburbs combined. We're talking about CITIES and NC clearly wins. What CITY in VA matches with Charlotte or Raleigh or Aheville????

Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Beside VA Beach (which I absolutely love)....NC cities win..We're not talking about all of Northern VA and the little towns and suburbs combined. We're talking about CITIES and NC clearly wins. What CITY in VA matches with Charlotte or Raleigh or Aheville????
Richmond and Norfolk stack up well to Raleigh and even have a few advantages over Charlotte; they both have more interesting geographical locations and Richmond is the most urban and historic of the larger cities between both states. I like the mix of cities in both states for different reasons. VA's are more urban historic, while NC's are more dynamic and progressive.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 PM

149 posts, read 261,214 times
va and nc are pretty much the same. im from newport news. hampton roads and richmond metro areas pretty much merge especially williamsburg. pretty much the less military in a hampton roads area the more like richmond it is. nova is different. i've been to nc and certain area are similar to hampton roads like fayettevile.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,679,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
va and nc are pretty much the same. im from newport news. hampton roads and richmond metro areas pretty much merge especially williamsburg. pretty much the less military in a hampton roads area the more like richmond it is. nova is different. i've been to nc and certain area are similar to hampton roads like fayettevile.
North Carolina and Virginia are not "pretty much the same" in any way.

Northern Virginia basically runs the entire state of Virginia, the state population is smaller and so is Hampton Roads metro when compared to North Carolina. Fayetteville has a metro of 374,157... so I'm not sure how the area reminds you of HR.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
North Carolina and Virginia are not "pretty much the same" in any way.

Northern Virginia basically runs the entire state of Virginia, the state population is smaller and so is Hampton Roads metro when compared to North Carolina. Fayetteville has a metro of 374,157... so I'm not sure how the area reminds you of HR.
I'm sure the comparison between Hampton Roads and Fayetteville has to do with the military.

Virginia and North Carolina are similar geographically, but the cities are not all that similar. Raleigh and Richmond are very different capitals and Charlottesville compares well with Chapel Hill, but after that I don't see much similarity. Lynchburg and Asheville? Boone and Blacksburg? The Triad and Hampton Roads? Nah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City