Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah back in its day NOLA was one of the richest cities in the world. But Then again so was Port Au Prince in Haiti. Times change but the comparisons to NY was made. I could see NOLA back in the day more than I could see Atlanta or Miami in any period of its history.

ATL and Miami were always southern feeling, but back in the day NOLA was like a little NY in the south
Yea it was kinda hard for me to relate ATL to NYC but a very elaborate post changed my mind about that. ATL has some aspects that are similar to NYC. I still would like to think NO claims the nickname. If all goes well, in the next 20+ years the city may reclaim that nickname, probably won't be the largest city in the south but some lady once told me "size doesn't matter" so I'll go with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yea it was kinda hard for me to relate ATL to NYC but a very elaborate post changed my mind about that. ATL has some aspects that are similar to NYC. I still would like to think NO claims the nickname. If all goes well, in the next 20+ years the city may reclaim that nickname, probably won't be the largest city in the south but some lady once told me "size doesn't matter" so I'll go with that.
sorry, I don't see ATL.

It is a very dominant city in its area, but it was never felt like a major driving force for the US as a whole as NOLA did.

Back in the day NY, NOLA, ST Louis were major important cities for the US on an International Scale.

A lot of the people coming into the US (or even leaving) came in or left through NY.

On the same note, a lot of the cargo coming into or leaving the US did so through NOLA.

ATL is a major important city for its region, NOLA's importance was on a national scale.

From about 1800 to about 1860, the most important US cities IMO were

NY, Philly, Boston, NOLA and Baltimore. Notice how many of them are in the South?

I think the only other southern city that would come close at that time was Charleston

Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Galveston was important right? I don't know the scale, but before the hurricane it was one of the biggest cities right?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
lol @ this.

how on earth could any city within the u.s. be the nyc of its region and/or compare to nyc? nyc is 1 of 1, period.

transportation? NOPE.
amentities offered? NOPE.
from a financial perspective? NOPE.
iconic status? NOPE.
diversity? NOPE.
contributions to pop culture from a global perspective? NOPE.
etc. etc.

its not about being a homer but about being realistic.

what is wrong with a city being good in its own right? why compare your cities to another city? your cities should be good enough on their own without these ridiculous comparisons that they can't live up to.

anything else, clown?
If you would get off of your high horse for once, you would see that no one is saying these cities are the exact or even close replica of New York. No one is that dumb to think that there's another city in this country that offers as many ammenities as NY..."New York of the South" is really just another way of calling a metro the major business and cultural capital for its respective region, but none of the cities fit that description.

If nothing else, it's a compliment to New York City itself, but apparently you're too arrogant to realize that. And y'all wonder why people have such a problem with y'all. NYC the city itself is spectacular, but most of the people from there ain't nothing special. Y'all really have some nerve acting so grand all the time.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Galveston was important right? I don't know the scale, but before the hurricane it was one of the biggest cities right?
Galveston was important but not as much as NOLA as Galveston never reached its full potential. It was on its way to competing with NOLA on shipping and doing well for itself in Finance and stuff but it never got there. In its day it was one of the top 10 major cities in the SOUTH but never on a national scale as NOLA was.

Back in the late 1880's its biggest competition (well NOLA was miles ahead) came from Charleston, Richmond, Atlanta, Mobile and Savannah in the south.

Houston, Birmingham, Memphis and others all boomed later

Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Galveston was once the largest exporter of cotton.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Galveston (or specifically the business corridor called "The Strand) was referred to as the "Wall Street of the South" until the 1900 storm:

Galveston

1900 Galveston hurricane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For history buffs, the unfortunate outcome for Galveston was the the port was moved inland as a precaution against future storms. This led to Houston quickly overshadowing Galveston as the new economic power on the Texas gulf coast and Galveston, for all its charms, was never much more than a beach town from that point forward.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:48 PM

200 posts, read 294,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Galveston (or specifically the business corridor called "The Strand) was referred to as the "Wall Street of the South" until the 1900 storm:

Galveston

1900 Galveston hurricane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For history buffs, the unfortunate outcome for Galveston was the the port was moved inland as a precaution against future storms. This led to Houston quickly overshadowing Galveston as the new economic power on the Texas gulf coast and Galveston, for all its charms, was never much more than a beach town from that point forward.
It kind of makes you wonder what Galveston would be like today if it wasn't so prone to hurricanes. My guess its city scape would be very similar to what Miami is today, because both have very similar geographic landscapes if you look at a satellite map. Only difference would be Galveston would have more office buildings and less condos compared to Miami, because this region would still be more business oriented compared to Miami. Miami would still have the better beaches and warmer temperatures which makes them suited as a gateway destination rather than a purely business center which is present day Houston.

Anyways, just my 2 cents on this.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
lol @ this.

how on earth could any city within the u.s. be the nyc of its region and/or compare to nyc? nyc is 1 of 1, period.

transportation? NOPE.
amentities offered? NOPE.
from a financial perspective? NOPE.
iconic status? NOPE.
diversity? NOPE.
contributions to pop culture from a global perspective? NOPE.
etc. etc.

its not about being a homer but about being realistic.

what is wrong with a city being good in its own right? why compare your cities to another city? your cities should be good enough on their own without these ridiculous comparisons that they can't live up to.

anything else, clown?
If you were to use a respective scale, then yes.
Transportation: Oldest street car line in the US, and they are widely used in the city. (YEP)
Amenities: who needs 100,000 hotdog stands and 45 Gucci stores? NO does very well for amenities.
Financially: Why would you even bring this up?
Iconic Status: YEP, are you blind to history?
Diversity: On a smaller scale, yes. NO was a popular immigration port
Contributions to pop culture on a global perspective: This is not vague enough, stupid factor to relate these cities.

This is City vs City forum, if you don't like it get out.

And I'm not saying we ARE New York City, we compare to NYC, respectively.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
how on earth is n.o. dominant as far as culture...or really anything within its region, tho??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City