Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:58 PM

32 posts, read 62,511 times

Advertisements

This hasn't been discussed very much in the forums and I have been reading the forums for quite a while but haven't really posted until now.

My current situation is that I am living in Pittsburgh, PA and just moved onto the second set of interviews for two separate jobs. One is based out of Salt Lake City and the other in Phoenix. The way the discussions have been going, I am fairly confident I will get job offers for both of them.

So my question is, what are some of the Pros and Cons between living in Salt Lake City and Phoenix and which would you prefer?

About myself:

I am in my mid 20's, single, love the outdoors, and love the diversity of the city. Outdoor wise, I love camping, hiking, snowboarding and must have reasonable access to them. I have a 3 year old lab that accompanies me so the the city should be dog friendly with access to parks. With regard to city life, I would like to have a variety of food options, bars, and other places to socialize.

Great weather is also important and it looks like both of these should achieve that.

Last thing is that I have 3 friends that are located in each of those cities so I won't necessarily be moving without knowing one person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
I would overwhelmingly vote for Salt Lake City. The stereotypes don't hold up for the most part for those who talk smack and then visit. It's a beautiful city in an amazing setting with clean air and much less congestion than Phoenix. The downtown area offers quite a bit of entertainment in terms of restaurants, bars and shopping (Check out the open-air Gateway complex). Given your desire for the outdoor recreation (easy drive to Park City) and dog-friendly aspect you can't go wrong. Check out the neighborhoods of 15th and 15th, Sugar House, Liberty Park and The Avenues.

Liberty Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Avenues, Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sugar House, Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Salt Lake City Dining Guide
Salt Lake City, Utah - Clubs in SLC, UT Bars & Nightclubs
DogFriendly.com's City Guide: Salt Lake City, Utah
Shop the Gateway - Premier Shopping & Dining in Salt Lake City, Utah

Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu2pgh View Post
I am in my mid 20's, single, love the outdoors, and love the diversity of the city. Outdoor wise, I love camping, hiking, snowboarding and must have reasonable access to them. I have a 3 year old lab that accompanies me so the the city should be dog friendly with access to parks. With regard to city life, I would like to have a variety of food options, bars, and other places to socialize.
If you like camping, hiking, and snowboarding then consider Salt Lake City by all means. Maybe the best access to big mountains of any city in the US---you've got the Wasatch practically at your doorstep. As far as restaurants and bars, Salt Lake City isn't as bad as it's reputation would have it...It's still weird drinking at bars in Utah at some level with the whole private club deal, but they've eased up some restrictions. And downtown is a lot better these days from the last times I visited SLC. Personally I feel that SLC is underrated for even a small city in the West... in a ways the whole Utah Mormon thing seems scares away people. But SLC and nearby Park City actually have the lowest percentage of Mormons in Utah.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:53 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Aaargh! I meant to say the neighborhood of 9th and 9th, not 15th and 15th (though that's nice as well).
9th and 9th, Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 12,477 times
"clean air and much less congestion"
This is a blatant fallacy. i live in slc and everything that has been said about it is true, it is beautiful, small, diverse and a great setting for the activities you are interested in. however if you have every been to slc in january-feburary then you know that "clean air" is not what you'll find. the inversion is horrible! however if you can deal with a little pollution for a month out of the year i'd definately recommend SLC over Phoenix. and the stereo types dont hold true, its a very great place to live

Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM

32 posts, read 62,511 times
It is great to see people sticking up for SLC. I was there in mid-February for the first time and thought it was a really cool city. I went out one night downtown but actually stayed in Sandy right outside of Little Cottonwood Canyon which was convenient since I was there for a ski trip to Snowbird and Brighton.

With regard to Phoenix though, I don't think it would be a terrible decision. Skiing and snowboarding would definitely be sacrificed but camping, hiking ect are available but a further drive away. Summers would be awfully long and hot though from what I hear. My brother lived out there for 4 years and I visited a few times and was able to handle the mid-summer heat but I'm not sure how I'd handle it for 7 or 8 months straight.

What are some of the selling points of Phoenix? How would you compare summer heat between Phoenix and Salt Lake City?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Salt Lake ftw.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,909 times
Salt Lake City, it has a better location and the city is built/designed better and much more interesting urban landscape,culture, etc.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 AM

106 posts, read 246,634 times
Salt Lake City has the same dry hot summers as Phoenix, but it's a solid 20-30 degrees cooler. However when it comes to winter weather, it's obvious that Phoenix is the winner.The stereotypes are not true of either city proper (Both SLC and Phoenix themselves are relatively democratic and artsy) but they can be true of the suburbs. Provo and Mesa are some of the most Republican (and Mormon) cities in the U.S.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:48 PM

489 posts, read 910,864 times
SLC all the way. Great infrastructure, and access to outdoor activities is unmatched by any city in the US, except for water. There is even talk of rail being expanded to Park City and some ski resorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City