Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

I wish New Orleans had a beach front, subways, and a better damn levy/pump/drainage system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
I wish Nashville had a better public transportation system. All of the buses connect through a hub downtown, there needs to be better cross-town options with routes that run in a ring around the city, and a less centralized system. There need to be mini-hubs in the suburban areas, where you can not only connect to downtown, but between the burbs without the time consuming connection through downtown.

I would love to have a commute rail system (subway is a literal impossibility), but that is a long way off. I don't mind using my car, but I would like to be able to drive a short distance to a bus or train station and be able to ride to all of the major areas around the city.

I'm not sure "which" city would be good to emulate, perhaps create our own system...but I would definitely like to have the public transportation that other peer cities offer.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM

475 posts, read 685,060 times
As a people watcher, I would like to see much more pedestrian traffic throughout the city of Atlanta. I would love for all of the city's core neighborhoods to have pedestrian traffic on a DC level.

Midtown is getting there, and Downtown is up to par during working hours. Places like Virginia-Highland and Atlantic Station deliver, but those are only pockets of development.

The reality is Atlanta would probably have to retrofit its infrastructure (which it's doing, again, in pockets) to really accommodate walkers.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:27 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
I was in Nashville over the weekend
I wish Memphis had Nashville's topography. Middle Tennessee send West Tennessee some Mountains and Hills lol

I Wish Nashville had a waterfront like Memphis, Nashville doesn't pay much attention to it's River, for good reason though as the Cumberland River can get naughty sometimes with floods

I Wish Nashville was flood free like Memphis, and had fewer natural disasters like Memphis

I Wish Memphis wasn't so flat

I Wish Beale Street was as Big and Wide like Broadway (Nashville)

I Wish Broadway was more Authentic and less man made like Beale Street

I Wish Broadway had a more unique name like Beale Street, google Beale Street and only One Comes up , Google Broadway and Several comes up, the One in NY being the first

I Wish Memphis was less crime ridden like Nashville

Old 03-22-2021, 10:32 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
I wish Raleigh had Charleston’s coastline. Or Charleston had Raleigh’s infrastructure.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:53 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
An ancient thread that's a decade old, but I'll participate.

I wish Phoenix had urban neighborhoods and public transit like the Northeast cities, and less of the same SFH housing developments throughout.

I also wish Phoenix chose to develop its streets neighborhoods along the canals to create walkable and pleasant public spaces along them, rather than bury the canals behind backyards to suffer from blight. Huge opportunity missed. The grid here is too emphasized over the lived experience of some variation and better economic opportunities. This would've been our equivalent to "waterfronts" that many other cities have.

I wish Papago was still a National Monument, similar to how Tucson has *two* national parks in city limits. We had it and they got rid of it, probably republican mantra of deregulation or some bologna.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:26 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,212 times
San Diego needs a better transit system, with alignments not placed simply because it's the cheapest option. I'd want something like the DC Metro, with better management and performance. Actually, the best solution would be U-bahn and S-bahn system for regional and urban routes, but the choices in the U.S. are lacking. San Diego needs better transit access to beach areas. Sure, most are in fact accessible by transit, but we need dedicated transit lanes & priority to make the trips faster.

Entertainment venues could be better as well, although I don't care for the nightlife of Miami or LA. Seeing the mid-pandemic spring break crowds was pure cringe.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:12 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
My list in gonna be long...lol

Old 03-23-2021, 08:11 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
I wish DC had more ethnic enclaves, they are mostly in the suburbs.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:22 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
I'll throw out some age old quips I have about DC from when I last lived there almost 22 years ago.

I wish G'town had a Metro stop.
I wish they had better pizza and bagels (This one has gotten better on the pizza front I'm sure but bagels? Probably still hard as a rock lol) And no, chains like Einstein don't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City