Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times

Advertisements

Basically this could be anything, weather, an amenity, a look, a natural resource, whatever. What thing from another city do you wish you could just take for your city. I'll start to give you an idea what I'm talking about.

I love Philadelphia and even though there are many things in other cities that I've loved... rarely do I want them in Philly. Basically I like the way Philly is, so even if i see or experience something great in another city, that doesn't normally make want me to change Philly... it just makes me want to visit the city that contains this feature again. But every so often I not only really like something in another city but I think it would be a perfect fit in Philadelphia and make the city i live in even better.

The feature of another city that i think i'm most consistently envious of and wish i could just steal and take to philly would likely be the DC metro. Sure i know, NYCs is more expansive, boston's and chicago's are both similarly good and their prices if i remember correctly are cheaper than both nyc and dc. i also here the san fran metro is good but i've never been there, but i just love the dc metro because of how perfectly planed it is. i feel like i'm never more than a 15 min walk away from a subway station in dc. on top of that it's just so nice. i know aesthetic quality shouldn't be that important of a factor in what makes a subway system good, but i can't help it. As someone who rides PT daily using a subway system that nice would just makes my days better. as great as nyc, chicago, and boston are they look like disgusting sewers compared to DC.

People from D.C. might think this is a bit odd because i know people there who complain about the dc metro and don't really understand my infatuation. but compared to philly's big X subway map that leaves vast swaths of the city with no subway coverage, the idea of a dc metro underneath philly makes me giddy.

so what feature from another city do you wish your city had?

(for the record though i'd leave the rest of the pt system in philly the same though... i think philly's bus and regional rail system are pretty good as is and though i've never rode a bus in d.c. or the regional rail there, i've heard from people who live that they're awful... although i'm sure they're exagerating)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 11:47 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
The Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina in the Houston or Chicago metro areas. That's the only thing I wish either of these two cities had.

The reason I pick the Blue Ridge Mountains is because to me they're appealing. I like desert scenery too but that would look hideous in Houston having brown mountains. Nasty! These are lush green, and look like they absorb water on a daily basis to self sustain the lush color. Water is a great thing, green is a great color, tree's are always a necessity, and this mountain range is absolutely perfect for what I'd love to see in Houston or Chicago.

Texas Hill Country has beautiful hills that look very similar too and very lush and green, but these in North Carolina are a bit taller, which is a plus.

Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina:

Old 03-20-2011, 11:47 PM

418 posts, read 809,881 times
i wish Baltimore had more nice neighborhoods.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:51 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Hmm, I wish we had Houston's weather and some of our beaches were dolled up Miami style. Those are just the main things.

That's one thing NYC really needs to bring out, it's beaches. That category has a lot of potential.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
I wish the Bay Area/Northern CA had sunny, warm beaches that you could swim in during summer. Also warm summer nights without it having to be 100+ degrees during the day for that to occur, I hate how cold summer nights are in SF and areas around the bay.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:59 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I wish the Bay Area/Northern CA had sunny, warm beaches that you could swim in during summer. Also warm summer nights without it having to be 100+ degrees during the day for that to occur, I hate how cold summer nights are in SF and areas around the bay.
Oh I LOOVVVEEEE cool summer nights in the Bay Area. That is so desirable to me. But I get yer point.

As far as beaches, its funny you should mention that cause I spend a lot of my summer out at Stinson Beach and the water temperature is a non issue with me cause that's what Im used to(but once again I get yer point)....Im actually more concerned about sharks.

As far as the OP, I wish the Bay Area had better sense when it came to getting development projects through bureaucracy better. Like CHINA.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 AM

617 posts, read 1,424,538 times
I wish for Dallas to have an ocean nearby or even for the city to let the Trinity flow as it should would be nice.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times
I wish L.A. had a subway like New York's.
I wish Portland had a waterfront like San Francisco

Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
I wish DC had Chicago's miles and miles of lakefront.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I wish that San Francisco:

- had a more comprehensive and less-expensive subway system ala NYC or Boston.
- had the music scene of LA
- had the late-night/24-hour options of LA or NYC
- had the cost of living of Cleveland

And I wish LA...

- had the parks of Boston or SF
- had the public transit of anywhere else... but specifically, Boston or NYC
- had the Italian food of Boston, Chicago, or NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City