Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
What would be your top 5 tourist traps in the US and the 5 best tourist destinations? Here are mine (just my opinion so please no hate mail ):

WORST TOURIST TRAPS
  1. Hollywood Blvd. (People taking pictures of the sidewalk and buying cheezy mugs and t-shirts)
  2. Times Square (Same as above for the exception people are now taking pics of themselves surrounded by glorified advertisement)
  3. Pike Place Market (There are many fish markets throughout this country but this is the only one where you'll see fish flying)
  4. St. Louis Arch (I really like the way it looks but personally I would rather just drive by then to spend an hour looking at a giant arch)
  5. LA gang tours
    LA Gang Tours
TOURIST DESTINATIONS THAT DELIVER
  1. Las Vegas Blvd. (You came here to experience a gamblers paradise and live shows, LV won't disappoint you)
  2. Orlando ( You came to experience a land of theme parks you will not be disappointed)
  3. Manhattan (You have come to experience big city life and all the skyscrapers and tall buildings that you can ever imagine Manhattan will not disappoint just stay away from Times Square and experience the rest)
  4. DC (You have come to look at the seat of the federal govt. in the most powerful country in the world with plenty of monuments/museums and free activities throughout the city it's a great way to learn about the U.S. without getting charged an arm and a leg)
  5. Mall of America (You have come to experience the biggest mall in the country, that's exactly what you'll find plus how many malls do you know that have a roller coaster and a high school inside of it?)
Honorable mention to California wine country (getting tipsy while being driven around throughout a beautiful landscape who wouldn't like that?)

Agree on the smithsonian especially in DC; fantastic collection of museums and all stringed along the mall; for the most part free. A collection of museums all Americans's can be proud of

Some others to me that meet/exceed expectations are NOLA, Charleston, and Savannah - all wonderful examples of American history still very alive today and great places to see and visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Worst:
Times Square- like others have said.. chain restaurants, glamorous advertising, impressive display but thats what it is, a tourist trap. Manhattan has much more substance.
Going to the top of the Empire St. Building- not worth the wait/cost.
Hollywood Blvd. - see previous posts
Navy Pier- Its nice, some good to it, but its the number one tourist trap in the Midwest
Bakery from Cake Boss in Hoboken- this place is shoulder to shoulder and tiny. A mess.

Best:
Brooklyn- so many things to do/see/eat. especially eat.
Signature Room- Top of Hancock Building in Chicago- Free to get up to the restaurant and cocktail lounge. Having a drink 96 stories up looking downtown Chicago square in the face is a great experience.
Las Vegas- this place is made for tourists, so its not so annoying
Orlando/Disney/Universal- See Vegas
Arches National Park- breathtaking

Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Best:
Signature Room- Top of Hancock Building in Chicago- Free to get up to the restaurant and cocktail lounge. Having a drink 96 stories up looking downtown Chicago square in the face is a great experience.

Agree on this, skip the observation deck and grab a drink and enjoy the view in the night/evening, truly breathtaking and well worth the price of a beverage!

Also walk around a bit and even to the East facing part over the waterfront and down on to the Navy Pier - well worth the trip for these amazing views not to mention this is my favorite skyscraper anywhere

Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree on this, skip the observation deck and grab a drink and enjoy the view in the night/evening, truly breathtaking and well worth the price of a beverage!

Also walk around a bit and even to the East facing part over the waterfront and down on to the Navy Pier - well worth the trip for these amazing views not to mention this is my favorite skyscraper anywhere
definitely.. the observation deck is only one floor higher...not worth the money you have to pay to go up only one flight. I'll take my Windy City Martini and my 96 story perch any day.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:48 AM

does Philly get many annoying tourist types? I can definitely see tourists going for the historical aspects of the city..but it doesn't seem like Philly has many tourist "traps" per se. thats a good thing.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
^^Pat's and Geno's Cheesesteaks are pretty big tourists traps. They're popular based on their reputation and the fact that they are seen as the original cheesesteak places. There are countless cheesesteak joints in Philly that are far better. I never understood the whole "Rocky Steps" tourist scene either. The Philadelphia Museum of Art is one of the best museums in the country, why people wait in line to take pictures of the Rocky statue out front is beyond me.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
I love Seattle's Pike Place Market. Many locals go there. I use to go there for the past 12 years to pick up fresh salmon, fresh flowers or just to hang out. My favorite place in Seattle.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM

14 posts, read 12,771 times
Best tourist cities USA (my opinion)
1. Los Angeles (Hollywood, beaches, theme parks, tours, and nightlife)
2. Orlando (Theme Parks)
3. Honolulu (beaches)
4. D.C. (Historical, museums, lot to see)
5. Las Vegas (Best nightlife, beautifull Vegas blvd.)
6. New York (Statue of Liberty, central park, and times square)
7. San Fransisco (Golden Gate Bridge, trolley, lot too see)
8. San Diego (seaworld, legoland, and beaches)
9. Anaheim (Disneyland)
10. Miami (beaches, and nightlife)

Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 PM

151 posts, read 223,975 times
I think hollywood blvd is kinda nice

Hollywood blvd, and times square are like the same thing

Old 03-21-2011, 06:13 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAjorge View Post
I think hollywood blvd is kinda nice

Hollywood blvd, and times square are like the same thing
You better watch you say, you might start a war. I have been to both, and no they are not the same at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City