Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 PM

113 posts, read 164,095 times

Advertisements

The age old question. New York vs California.

Here is my dilemma. I can't decided which city to set my sights on. Yes I want to get into the entertainment industry, I could go either way. I've been to NYC a few times and I love it there. I've never been to Burbank, or anywhere in CA, but it seems like it's a good location, close to LA but not right in the center of the madness. Although I don't mind the madness, which is why I like NYC. I also don't like to drive, and NYC wins there. But CA has better weather, and I pretty much despise the snow.

I don't know how to decide.

If it makes any difference, I am 24, female, and right now I work in retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
The entertainment industry is based in NYC. California is hemorrhaging bigtime. NBC is leaving Burbank altogether. There's a lot more to life than good weather. Go to New York.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:30 PM

326 posts, read 813,532 times
Burbank is better for entertainment unless you plan on doing Broadway type work, CA is your best bet

Old 02-25-2011, 02:31 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
There's a lot more to life than good weather.

So very true.

NYC is where you should go.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM

70 posts, read 157,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The entertainment industry is based in NYC. California is hemorrhaging bigtime. NBC is leaving Burbank altogether. There's a lot more to life than good weather. Go to New York.
This person is wrong. The news and theater industries are based in NYC. The vast majority of film, TV, and other entertainment work is still in LA.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 PM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal-c View Post
This person is wrong. The news and theater industries are based in NYC. The vast majority of film, TV, and other entertainment work is still in LA.
Not true. It's a plurality now. LA lost its majority a few years ago. It still has the largest share, but it's shrank pretty significantly.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresc21 View Post
The age old question. New York vs California.

Here is my dilemma. I can't decided which city to set my sights on. Yes I want to get into the entertainment industry, I could go either way. I've been to NYC a few times and I love it there. I've never been to Burbank, or anywhere in CA, but it seems like it's a good location, close to LA but not right in the center of the madness. Although I don't mind the madness, which is why I like NYC. I also don't like to drive, and NYC wins there. But CA has better weather, and I pretty much despise the snow.

I don't know how to decide.

If it makes any difference, I am 24, female, and right now I work in retail.
You're only 24 and have a lot of living to do so you can probably pretty much go anywhere that you want. I've worked in the industry for a while now and just recently left Universal City/Burbank area. There's Disney & Warner Studios along with Universal Studios all within a half mile of each other. There are plenty of other studios and production companies throughout LA County including Venice and Santa Monica and even out to Orange County & the City Of Industry.

The question you have to ask yourself is "What are my qualifications and what is it that I want to do"? Also will you be able to snag employment before relocating and can you earn enough to pay rent in Burbank? (1Bdrm.1100 & Up) Do you have a reliable automobile? Public trans in LA suxx unless you live off of the Red or Blue Lines and still that's not saying much.

You work in retail so do you plan on being in film/tv Wardrobe? Or Hair & Makeup, Set Design? Or would you rather work directly for a studio in an office/corporate setting? It is in every sense of the word. While you are still youthful and really want to be there then I suggest that you get things in place.. If you are on a tight budget and can tolerate a roomate then I think you can live off of $2000 a month (Take home pay) in a decent area or go solo but will really strecth it very thin in Burbank but it can be done because many do and heck I did it about 15 years ago without a car and just one year of college and some military. It was hard but It's doable..

Also know that outside of New York & LA there is Atlanta where I am now and it's moving in the right direction and if you are union iatse or nabet your wages aren't pretty far off as they would be in LA or NYC. There's productions being done in Detroit, Louisianna, New Mexico, Philly Chicago, Austin, and Orlando but if LA is your desire and you wanna bike on the beach, do Melrose at night, enjoy a concert at LA Live & so on I say "Head West Young Lady"

Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 PM

54 posts, read 78,867 times
Default Burbank

As a native NYer in his 40s, I contemplate a move to Burbank in a year or so. I've been there many times and really love it. Think hard about the real reason you want to move. For city life, nothing compares to NY, least of all Burbank. Given your age, I'd say you'd want more of NY....... unless you dig the warm weather and sunshine. Then its LA all the way. I also love the mountains and the desert LA offers, which you're not going to get in NY. In the end, if you can't make a living, any paradise is not such a joy to live in.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM

113 posts, read 164,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
You're only 24 and have a lot of living to do so you can probably pretty much go anywhere that you want. I've worked in the industry for a while now and just recently left Universal City/Burbank area. There's Disney & Warner Studios along with Universal Studios all within a half mile of each other. There are plenty of other studios and production companies throughout LA County including Venice and Santa Monica and even out to Orange County & the City Of Industry.

The question you have to ask yourself is "What are my qualifications and what is it that I want to do"? Also will you be able to snag employment before relocating and can you earn enough to pay rent in Burbank? (1Bdrm.1100 & Up) Do you have a reliable automobile? Public trans in LA suxx unless you live off of the Red or Blue Lines and still that's not saying much.

You work in retail so do you plan on being in film/tv Wardrobe? Or Hair & Makeup, Set Design? Or would you rather work directly for a studio in an office/corporate setting? It is in every sense of the word. While you are still youthful and really want to be there then I suggest that you get things in place.. If you are on a tight budget and can tolerate a roomate then I think you can live off of $2000 a month (Take home pay) in a decent area or go solo but will really strecth it very thin in Burbank but it can be done because many do and heck I did it about 15 years ago without a car and just one year of college and some military. It was hard but It's doable..

Also know that outside of New York & LA there is Atlanta where I am now and it's moving in the right direction and if you are union iatse or nabet your wages aren't pretty far off as they would be in LA or NYC. There's productions being done in Detroit, Louisianna, New Mexico, Philly Chicago, Austin, and Orlando but if LA is your desire and you wanna bike on the beach, do Melrose at night, enjoy a concert at LA Live & so on I say "Head West Young Lady"
I work in retail because that's the job I happened to get. I want to act. I don't like working in retail. But I live in Texas where I don't have a lot of options.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresc21 View Post
I work in retail because that's the job I happened to get. I want to act. I don't like working in retail. But I live in Texas where I don't have a lot of options.
It comes down to what you want to act in. If it's film and television, I would go with LA. If it's theatre, go with NY. Some things are filmed in NY but not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City