Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city best meets my criteria?
Denver 4 7.41%
Louisville, KY 2 3.70%
Austin, TX 6 11.11%
Washington, D.C. 30 55.56%
Pittsburgh 15 27.78%
Portland, OR 3 5.56%
San Diego 8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 17,509 times

Advertisements

Alright so here’s the deal—

I was born and raised in Atlanta, went to undergrad and law school in Georgia, and have never lived outside of Georgia.

I am graduating in May, and I need to get out of Georgia for a little bit. It’s nothing against Atlanta—I just need to experience life in another city to get some perspective, have a new experience, and grow as a person while I’m still young and able.

And that’s where you come in. I need help deciding what city to relocate to. My relocation will be short-term (a year). I have narrowed it down to the cities included in the poll. Please vote for which one you think would be the best fit for me:

About Me
Basics: 25, male, straight, single, white (50% Italian, 50% Northern European), 6’4”
Socoieconomic Status: $75k-$100k salary; private school background
Education: Law degree, bachelor’s degree in business
Personal Style: Mixture - I would describe myself as 70% preppy, 25% heady, 5% hipster

Criteria
-Good nightlife
-1 BR condo/apt., $1,200/month, walkable to nightlife, fully-gentrified, urban, trendy, young, and safe area
-Easy to meet people

I would also like to clarify—I am from Georgia, but I am not “Southern”, culturally-speaking. My parents are from Ohio, I am not a bible-thumper, I have no accent, I am not super conservative.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:47 PM

60 posts, read 90,901 times
I'd go with D.C.

Out the cities you've mentioned D.C. is the most educated, hip, fast paced, has the best nightlife, diverse, most things to do and, there are more lawyers in this city than all of those put together.

When you mean fully gentrified what exactly do you mean?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Just curious and not to be a homer but center city Philadelphia has one of the highest concentrations of Lawyers and national law firms in the country - and mostly fits what you are looking for; likely even price. I live in Center City and well it seems like every third person is a lawyer

Maybe at least worth a look - no matter what good luck on quest/search

Old 03-22-2011, 04:44 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
I would say Pittsburgh. We have Bloomfield which has two Italian grocery stores and numerous Italian restaurants. Pittsburgh also has a long of law firms for a city of its size IMO including ReedSmith and K&L Gates which are two of the world's largest law firms from my understanding. Wages here may not be as high as in some of the other cities you are looking at,(i'm not sure how much local lawyers make but I think it's closer to the national avg than some professions) but you will not have to spend anywhere near $1,200 a month to live in a decent small apartment in a trendy apartment. I found 1 bedroom apartments in the neighborhoods I'm about to mention for as little as $750 on craigslist . The best neighborhoods for you would be the South Side, Shadyside, Bloomfield, and maybe Squirrel Hill which is a little older but still has a nice trendy business district.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Rogue View Post
I'd go with D.C.

Out the cities you've mentioned D.C. is the most educated, hip, fast paced, has the best nightlife, diverse, most things to do and, there are more lawyers in this city than all of those put together.

When you mean fully gentrified what exactly do you mean?
DC is the only one I have visited out of the cities listed. One thing that bothered me about the city--so many tourists. Is it like this only in certain areas? I was also there in the summer, so maybe that made a difference.

How far would $1200 go in Georgetown?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just curious and not to be a homer but center city Philadelphia has one of the highest concentrations of Lawyers and national law firms in the country - and mostly fits what you are looking for; likely even price. I live in Center City and well it seems like every third person is a lawyer

Maybe at least worth a look - no matter what good luck on quest/search
I was thinking about Philadelphia, but I am kind of worried about the winters up there. How long does it last? Also, does the city have a large young population, or do young people tend to be moving out?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I would say Pittsburgh. We have Bloomfield which has two Italian grocery stores and numerous Italian restaurants. Pittsburgh also has a long of law firms for a city of its size IMO including ReedSmith and K&L Gates which are two of the world's largest law firms from my understanding. Wages here may not be as high as in some of the other cities you are looking at,(i'm not sure how much local lawyers make but I think it's closer to the national avg than some professions) but you will not have to spend anywhere near $1,200 a month to live in a decent small apartment in a trendy apartment. I found 1 bedroom apartments in the neighborhoods I'm about to mention for as little as $750 on craigslist . The best neighborhoods for you would be the South Side, Shadyside, Bloomfield, and maybe Squirrel Hill which is a little older but still has a nice trendy business district.
What are the winters like in Pittsburgh? Are they long?

Thanks for the neighborhood tips. That's very helpful.

Is Bloomfield an Italian neighborhood? My grandfather was born in Italy, but both my father and I are American. It'd be neat to live in an Italian neighborhood, but I didn't think they existed anymore, or if they did, met my other criteria. I don't really want to be in a "working class" area, is Bloomfield like that?

The rest look pretty cool, according to Wikipedia.

Last edited by OutofATL; 03-22-2011 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutofATL View Post
I was thinking about Philadelphia, but I am kind of worried about the winters up there. How long does it last? Also, does the city have a large young population, or do young people tend to be moving out?

Philly is colder than ATL in the winter (the cold lasts 2.5 to 3 months), similar to but a tad colder than DC less sever than Pittsburgh

Center City is loaded with young people; now home 200K residents in a little under 6 sq miles; very vibrant with loads of lawyers living and walking to work in CC

This is a decent site for info - again worth at least a look see
Center City District / Central Philadelphia Development Corporation Of Philadelphia

also if you have any specific questions on Philly you can also send me a direct message on here

Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,850,558 times
Does it have to be one of the cities on the poll? What specifics are you looking for?

I voted for DC; but while it may be very urban and diverse with a lot to do, it still doesn't have some things that the other cities do.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Does it have to be one of the cities on the poll? What specifics are you looking for?

I voted for DC; but while it may be very urban and diverse with a lot to do, it still doesn't have some things that the other cities do.
Well, I actually arrived at those cities because of process of elimination and taking out cities that I didn't want to live in. I don't want to live in:

1.) A major Sunbelt city: Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Miami
2.) A Southern "mini-Atlanta" (i.e. Charlotte)
3.) One of the "Big 3": LA, NYC, Chicago.
4.) A city that has very harsh/long winters: Northeastern cities, Midwestern cities
5.) A city in a metro with a population of less than 1,000,000

I should've probably clarified this, but I didn't want to overwhelm the original post.

What city did you have in mind? I am very open to suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City