Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando or DC
Orlando 8 13.56%
DC 51 86.44%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

I have family in Orlando so I am there at least once a year. Was there last July as a matter of fact. Orlando is not more diverse than DC. It's laughable to believe it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Orlando is actually more diverse than DC.
According to the 2010 Census Orlando's white poplulation is 57.6% whereas D.C.'s is 38.5%.

Quote:
Orlando has better hospitals.
Have you ever heard of Children's National Medical Center?

Quote:
Orlando even has better night clubs.
According to who?

Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Quote:

Your credibility has just died a slow and painful death.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,675,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
According to the 2010 Census Orlando's white poplulation is 57.6% whereas D.C.'s is 38.5%.

Have you ever heard of Children's National Medical Center?

According to who?
Just because it has a higher white population does not take away the fact that it is diverse.

Orlando is very diverse. I'm West Indian, and I know plenty of West Indians who live in this city. I went to high school with students from all shades of colors and religions. Every ethnic group in DC is in Orlando. The only reason DC might feel more diverse is because of its urbanity. You could see the diversity while you are taking the metro or walking in downtown DC.

Concerning the hospitals, Arnold Palmer hospital is a good hospital for children. Florida hospital is known around the world to have one of the best cancer treatment facilities.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 AM

20 posts, read 18,372 times
Quote:

Diversity-

Orlando CSA http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Washington, DC MSA http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Hospitals-

Orlando: No hospitals in the Honor Roll list for 2011 in top 15

Washington, DC: 9 Hospitals ranked in top 10 for divisions including Cancer, Geriatrics, Urology, Diabetes & Endocrinology, Psychiatry, Ear, Nose & Throat, Rheumatology, Heart & Heart Surgery, Gastroenterology

Nightlife-

Cocktail Hour http://www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-cities/2010/category/nightlife/cocktail-hour

Live Music/Concerts & Bands http://www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-cities/2010/category/nightlife/live-music-concerts-and-bands

Singles/Bar Scene http://www.travelandleisure.com/amer...gles-bar-scene

Overall-

Results http://www.travelandleisure.com/amer...-dc/vs/orlando

Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
I don't think DC is more diverse than Orlando. I think you guys are really sleeping on Orlando. Orlando actually offers a lot.
Have you actually been to DC?

By restaurants alone, you have the following ethnicities in DC according to Zagat (usual suspects of Italian, French, Chinese and Japanese not included):

23 assorted African
2 Argentinian
4 Brazilian
16 assorted Caribbean
2 Cuban
5 East European
16 Ethiopian
11 Greek
44 Indian
3 Malaysian
5 Moroccan
50 assorted Middle Eastern
11 Spanish
80 Thai
46 Vietnamese

Orlando has:

6 assorted Caribbean
1 Cuban
3 Greek
1 Indian
1 Middle Eastern
1 Spanish
12 Thai
7 Vietnamese

Then you have population demographic comparisons:

DC
"According to the 2010 Census, the population distribution of Washington, D.C. is 50.7% Black or African American, 38.5% White, 3.5% Asian, and 0.3% American Indian. Individuals from other races made up 4.1% of the District's population while individuals from two or more races made up 2.9%. In addition, Hispanics of any race made up 9.1% of the District's population.[73] There were also an estimated 74,000 foreign immigrants living in Washington, D.C. in 2007.[74]"

Orlando
"The racial makeup of the city was 61.10% White, 26.70% African American, 1.43% Asian, 0.34% Native American, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 5.41% from other races, and 2.54% from two or more races. 17.79% of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race".

A key component is that both have 20% non-white or non-black population, but DC's is far more equally divided versus Orlando's nearly 18% Hispanic count.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
The comparison between the two cities is laughable, but the shock from the Orlando boosters is hilarious.

BTW, I'd love to see your list of categories where Orlando blows DC out of the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Orlando?? Stop it...
Whoaa, relax there guys, people are allowed to support this comparison without being called boosters. Furthermore, reread my post and you might notice how I am willing to give credit where credit belongs:

Quote:
Which city offers the best in these criterias?

-entertainment: Orlando. I am a person who likes stuff to do during the day. I am a fun in the sun kinda person. Yesterday it was 91 and I could have gone wake boarding, surfing, or to Universal. DC doesn't hold a candle guys, give me a break.
-diversity: Drawl. Orlando has more of a Hispanic/Caribbean population which adds to the flavor. DC is more well rounded and obviously home to more foreign consulates.
-culture: According to the traditional definition, DC wins this. Museums, American History, etc. However, some of us are not that interested in that and would prefer to be in a real neighborhood, with real people. DC & Orlando both have real people, with real cultures, that are separate from what the cities are perceived to be.
-nightlife: Trade off based on what you like.. DC gets pretty crazy, I've accidentally ended up partying there driving home from NY so I can imagine how good it would have been with a little planning. However, I would venture to guess that those laughing about us suggesting Orlando can hang have no clue. I'll leave it at that, no use beating a dead horse.
-social capital: what?
-cost of living: Orlando, but COL is relative to pay and other factors so IDK why this is always included.
-quality of life: For me my life would be terrible in DC. I'd loose 90% of what I love to do for recreation.
-weather: Orlando. Can't beat sunny and 71 in Jan
-public transportation: DC DC DC. The cities are too different for this to be a comparison factor.
-education: For prestige DC hands down. However, you can get an excellent education in Florida.
-economy: DC right now. If these anti-government folks bring the type of cuts the states are seeing to DC, then the looming government shutdown will seem like a walk in the park to those inside the Beltway.
As you can see, I am not delusional in my support of areas where I think Orlando is better. See that's the point of these comparison threads, we see where each's strengths lie. DC takes the traditional city/urbanity cake in my opinion, and Orlando takes the leisure/recreational one. However, if you'd rather visit a world class museum during the day, and have drinks in Georgetown at night, then you might strongly disagree.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,659 times
I don't think it's fair to compare the two, either. However, I think some posters are acting like nobody would ever choose Orlando over DC in any regard, which isn't true. Although I think it's a great place to visit, I personally have no reason to live in DC, nor would I want to. However, I adore living in Orlando. To each their own.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Whoaa, relax there guys, people are allowed to support this comparison without being called boosters. Furthermore, reread my post and you might notice how I am willing to give credit where credit belongs:

As you can see, I am not delusional in my support of areas where I think Orlando is better. See that's the point of these comparison threads, we see where each's strengths lie. DC takes the traditional city/urbanity cake in my opinion, and Orlando takes the leisure/recreational one. However, if you'd rather visit a world class museum during the day, and have drinks in Georgetown at night, then you might strongly disagree.

Ok first of all I used to live in Orlando, Winter Park to be exact, and I for one will say you ARE delusional. It's no secret what Orlando is and the purpose it serves, amusement parks and hospitality industry. The convention center is nice, and I love the Florida weather and scenery, but there is no category Orlando can come close to DC in other than hotels. Orlando is not more diverse than DC by any stretch of the imagination, we do have a heavy Hispanic population here too you know? Not to mention Africans from all nations, Middle Eastern population, Europeans from all over and Asians. Orlando's downtown would not even compare to Silver Spring, MD or Rosslyn in VA let alone downtown DC. There is no transit system even remotely close Metro, actually the MTA in Baltimore is better than anything in Central Fla. The universities in the district alone exceed any school in Central Fla, and that doesn't even include the ones in DC suburbs. Washington DC is an urban metropolis, with an almost 6 million resident MSA and almost 9 million resident CSA. DC is more cosmopolitan with a work force twice or 3 times the size of ORL. With respect to Orlando it just not comparable by city standards. I actually prefer Tampa over Orlando, I like the location a lot more and people seem nicer there.

Great job on the new Magic arena down there though, I heard its nice.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,675,716 times
Hey, even though I don't like Orlando, I just want the posters in here to know that Orlando is more than Disney and hotels. It came a long way in the last 15 years. It's just a notch below Atlanta. Atlanta is an Orlando on steroids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City