Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Country do you prefer to Live based on Criteria given?
Canada 40 16.53%
United States 202 83.47%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
I know Miami is hated there, but I talked about culture, the famous Latin America's gate where latinos from everywhere gather and mix up, the Cuban influence.
I don't know where 'there' is, I meant I hear from Americans that Miami ain't all that great. Also, I hate to nitpick, but you didn't talk about Miami's unique culture, you just flat out said it was a unique city, and again, I just found that funny.

I have nothing against it, but it's just, out of all US cities, I wouldn't pick Miami out as the one that was special.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:01 PM

1,018 posts, read 510,901 times
Economy- United States
Weather- United States
Natural Scenery- Tie
Food- United States
Safety- Canada
Best Tourist attractions (in any City you like within either Country)- United States
Education- Canada
More Diverse- United States
Entertainment (Music, Sports, Movies etc.)- United States
History- Tie
Which is more important to the World- United States by far
which has more important Cities- United States
Better Lifestyle- I say United States
Better to raise Children- United States
Which Has More Vibrant Cities- United States
Which has the most invention's- United States
Overall Financial Contribution's- United States
Fashion & style- Tie
Superior Government- United States

Old 01-05-2017, 01:32 AM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times
Well I'm not sure you can compare the world's most important country with one that has 1/9th the population.

The US beats Canada in climate, geography, and natural scenery hands down as the US has a far greater variety of topography and climates than Canada. Economy and fashion industry the US by far although on an individual basis Canadians are more fashion conscious than Americans. Inventions, US of course. Tourist attractions, again the US due to the sheer number of options that the US has over Canada. Economy, no contest, the US.

World recognition, well obviously the US being a superpower which has benefits {international political, social, and economic sway} but conversely this means that the US get's blamed for everything and it's citizens at home and abroad are more likely to be victims of terror attacks or just prejudices. Canada can't compete but considering we are a nation of just 36,000,000, Canada punches WAY above it's weight in international influence. Being a G8 member is very important and Canada is well respected throughout the world. For it's size no other country on the planet holds as much social, political, and economic influence as Canada, nobody.

In terms of personal lifestyles and quality of life thou Canada comes out on top in nearly every category. Our public education system is far superior and much more egalitarian. Our cities and country as a whole is much safer. Our governments, corrupt as they are, are not at all influenced by religious fanaticism, a gun lobby, or the extreme 0.1%. We don't make as much but our income gap is vastly smaller and our minimum wages much higher and we have an extensive social welfare system for the less fortunate.

Workers rights are light years ahead of the US especially in our very generous maternity benefits and leave, vacation time, and wage parity. Canada is much more progressively liberal when it comes to nearly every metric.............gay rights, immigration, penal system, healthcare, divorce, no death penalty, and we are the only democracy in the world with no abortion law. It is considered strictly a medical issue and we still find it bizarre how it is even an issue in the US little alone such a big one.

I will stay in my beloved Canada but the US offers more of everything in nearly every category but on a personal level, Canadians enjoy a standard of living and quality of life that simply isn't available anywhere in the US.

It's often said that the US is a great place if you are rich and Canada is a great place if you're not.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:04 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
The US, and it's not close at all. Canada is a great country, but the US has more to offer than the majority of the World. Of course that doesn't mean we're the best, however.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:29 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
[*]Economy- USA has the largest and most influential economy in the world.
[*]Weather- USA. US has pretty much every climate available. Canada is just cold, which really sucks. One of the main downsides and reasons I couldn't leave the USA for there.
[*]Natural Scenery- I'm gonna go with USA. Both are beautiful but USA has much more variety in this category
[*]Food- USA for more top restaurants
[*]Safety- Canada by a lot
[*]Best Tourist attractions (in any City you like within either Country)- Definitely USA. NY, California, Vegas, Disney, etc.
[*]Education- Canada wins K-12 but USA wins higher education
[*]More Diverse- USA
[*]Entertainment (Music, Sports, Movies etc.)- Definitely USA. It's the entertainment capital of the world.
[*]History- USA. It's not that much older than Canada but it has a much more exciting history IMO
[*]Which is more important to the World- Definitely USA
[*]which has more important Cities- USA. Not only does it have a higher number of internationally important cities, but it has New York which is arguably the most important city in the entire world.
[*]Better Lifestyle- Depends. I wanna say Canada in an overall general sense for safety, political mindset, friendliness, and social services. BUT me personally, I prefer the US. I love my lifestyle in NYC. Canada doesn't offer anything like it, and that's unfortunate because if they did then I'd possibly consider moving there. I've also always said that if I were to leave NYC it would be for a place in a tropical climate with better beaches (ocean beaches. I'm a surfer and I need waves). I DEFINITELY can't get that in Canada either, but I could get it in multiple different parts of the US. I feel like Canadian (ocean) beaches make Coney Island look like a tropical paradise, lol.
[*]Better to raise Children- Canada
[*]Which Has More Vibrant Cities- USA. I do think that there are a very large number of American cities that are very poorly designed, too autocentric, and just really bland overall, but it has enough better ones to offset them. And it also has NYC which is kind of an automatic win in this category
[*]Which has the most inventions- USA
[*]Overall Financial Contributions- USA again. NYC (along with London) is known as the Financial capital of the world. NYC is also home to the TWO largest (yes, #1 and #2) stock exchanges in the world, and the Financial District in Manhattan is the worlds largest financial center. And that's just one city.
[*]Fashion & style- USA mainly for NYC and LA.
[*]Superior Government- Depends what you mean by superior.
USA is way more powerful, but I hate the politics here sometimes. Actually all the time. I do like that I get to have a say in American politics though, since we are by far the most powerful and influential country in the world. Even if I'm just one vote. Canada has much better social services though. I work in healthcare and I see firsthand how ****ed our system is in the US. I would love to have a healthcare system like Canada's.

Overall: not a very fair comparison. The two countries are in completely different leagues.

Part of me would really like to live in Canada though. It seems a lot easier and relaxed.
There's just so much more excitement and opportunity here in America though especially in NYC where I live. And I wouldn't be able to deal with the cold weather and lack of ocean beaches up there either.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 01-05-2017 at 02:38 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 07:23 AM

638 posts, read 977,732 times
no country can compare to the United states

Old 01-05-2017, 08:24 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times
On the topic of Canada's international influence: There's no doubt that it's substantial, but I think it's definitely hurt in that department by its proximity to the United States. I always think of Australia. I only learned a few years ago that Canada has a significantly larger population than Australia, which really surprised me. I'd always sort of assumed that Australia was the bigger country because it seemed to play a bigger role on the international stage and in global culture. But Australia benefits from dominating its region.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:30 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,178 times
From my visits to Canada, Canadian cities are cleaner and my relatives up there don't have to worry about healthcare. But that damn Cold weather would depress. I guess if you grew up there and get use to that weather, you would not mind. Im probably paying a visit to Toronto in early March. Hoping that the weather is friendly to a Florida native.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:02 PM

71 posts, read 91,217 times
Is this a joke thread or? How could a country of 35 million possibly offer more than a country of 325 million?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:59 PM

182 posts, read 226,055 times
Not a fair comparison. California alone has a larger population than all of Canada. I honestly don't know what country the US can be compared to...Maybe China...Japan...Russia...Germany...Australia....I don't know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City