Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM

5 posts, read 8,540 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I grew up in Connecticut, met my girl in South Carolina in college and now we are looking to move to either Philadelphia, Memphis, or Miami area because of optometry school.

I'm looking for insight into the following: Job market, I'm young and looking to start a career, safety, and recreation. We love live music and great food (prefer healthy). We are also "eco-consious" and want to live in a progressive area that offers recycling, parks, and good public transportation.

Can anyone offer insight into which area might be best for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:22 PM

81 posts, read 170,548 times
I can't speak for the other two cities, but in Miami, you will be hard pressed to find a job doing ANYTHING, if you are not fully bilingual in Español.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times
i don't think i will find any arguments that Philadelphia is by far the most progressive of these cities. Also likely the most eco friendly although i'm not very familiar with the eco friendly efforts of miami or memphis.

the job market in philly in generally tough... but compared to the rest of the country i'm not sure... it's pretty bad everywhere right now.

as far as entertainment and restaurants go i don't really think memphis can compare with miami or philly. and philly due to the virtue of being so much bigger than these other cities is tough to beat.

obviously Philadelphia doesn't have the safest reputation but if you live in the right area you can be very safe.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
Miami>Philadelphia>Memphis

Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiooo View Post
Miami is the least cesspool like of the 3, Philly is the most

What qualifies you making that statement. All of these cities are very different from eachother. Philadelphia is by far the largest and most developed of these cities. Miami is also a great city but has a very different culture and way of life than philadelphia. I dont know anything about Memphis so i cant speak for it, but i know it is a lot smaller than philadelphia in all aspects.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:26 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,350 times
Please ignore Californioo.
I also think Philadelphia is a good match for you. The job market is pretty bad everywhere, but PA is doing pretty well for itself despite the economy. I'm not sure about the eco-friendliness. Philadelphia does pretty well on its own in the entertainment area, and it doesn't hurt that its close to New York City, and D.C.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
I'm not a big fan of Philadelphia at this point, but I think it fits your description of what you're looking for fairly well. (The biggest question mark would be safety, but as others have said, you can cut down most of your risk by just being careful about where you go.) Philadelphia is a great city for food, some of it healthy, some of it not very healthy. But there are enough options that you'll be able to find something that suits you. Again, for live music you should be fine there. There is always a lot going on. You can get around easily by public transportation, though it tends to be a little on the expensive side.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Memphis

Public transportation- practically non existent and what's available is unreliable.

Recycling, good program with curbside recycling in the city, more info here.

Parks- Memphis does well in this area IMO Shelby Farms, Overton Park and Meeman-Shelby Forest. No beaches or hilly hiking trails though. New greenline trail through the city from mid Memphis to Shelby Farms.

Live music- Beale Street and a few other places do a fair job, we also have 2011 Memphis in May (http://www.memphisinmay.org/lineup - broken link) that brings in a lot of acts, really big name concerts usually require that you go to Nashville or ST. Louis though.

Great food- BBQ of course, a fair number of decent hole in the wall places and some good ethnic places. Not sure on "healthy" if by that you mean organic restaurants. The other two cities probably have Memphis beat by a country mile on the variety of offerings.

Safety- Memphis is not as bad as the numbers make it out to be. Unlike a lot of cities Memphis does not simply report the most egregious crime. A single incident may result in several different charges being filed, skewing the stats as compared to other cities. Like most other cities of any size Memphis has it's good and bad areas, it is not difficult to avoid the worst areas.

The economy has not been terrific lately, like most everywhere else, but there seem to be several projects in the works that could have a positive impact on the area.

Memphis is recovering from years of a very divisive mayor, racial tension might be a concern. Hopefully, now that he is out of office, Memphis can grow beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City