Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 10:58 PM

129 posts, read 368,561 times

Advertisements

I think Miami needs to beat out Houston for that 3rd spot first before it starts comparing itself to Chi-town. Houston's overall skyline is much much larger than Miami's. look it up.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:42 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
I think Miami needs to beat out Houston for that 3rd spot first before it starts comparing itself to Chi-town. Houston's overall skyline is much much larger than Miami's. look it up.
There they go again, trying to make a competition out of a comparison. lol. They are two completely different words...look it up

Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 AM

229 posts, read 1,043,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Other than being located next to a body of water what similarities are there?
You need to read the thread rather than just catching the tail end of the conversation.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldbfree007 View Post
Here is someone else coming in on the tail end of the conversation. Many statisticians already place Miami third based on what has made it to construction thus far. Houston has taller skyscrapers than Miami, but Miami has more tall builidings overall in one skyline. I knew Miami was third over a year ago before I ever heard anybody say it just by using my calculator.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 PM

314 posts, read 1,036,941 times
Miami is third, case closed. Chicago has the tallest buildings but funny how not many look at it as "better" than nyc. Why? because hancock and sears are big black ugly monsters.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
Miami is third, case closed. Chicago has the tallest buildings but funny how not many look at it as "better" than nyc. Why? because hancock and sears are big black ugly monsters.
It has nothing to do with the Sears Tower or Hancock buildings. Well, ok, a little bit, but thats not why people prefer it. They prefer it because its aesthetically pleasing to look at with all the different styles, wonderful architecture, the lakefront, etc. Lots of things come into play and its not just density/size that you need to consider. Sure, NYC is far more dense and larger than Chicago's downtown, but I just dont think it looks better. Chicago's skyline is very balanced, unlike NYC.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,658 times
Chicago has many more unique looking buildings than NYC, where most of the buildings are dull and boring. There are only a few buildings that everyone recognizes. (Empire State, Crysler, Citigroup)

Oh, and I don't think that the Sears or Hancock are anywhere near ugly.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
Chicago has many more unique looking buildings than NYC, where most of the buildings are dull and boring. There are only a few buildings that everyone recognizes. (Empire State, Crysler, Citigroup)

Im sorry but just because people can't recognize a building, it suddenly dull?
PALEZZ - but i guess i expect something like this because you are from Chicago and almost everyone is biased towards their hometown and hate their rival so it makes sense (not trying to offend you - i know I am biased towards my hometown and its rival!)

Old 07-21-2008, 12:59 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Im sorry but just because people can't recognize a building, it suddenly dull?
PALEZZ - but i guess i expect something like this because you are from Chicago and almost everyone is biased towards their hometown and hate their rival so it makes sense (not trying to offend you - i know I am biased towards my hometown and its rival!)
That's not really what I meant. When I see pictures of New York, most of the buildings look really brown and old. I think that they just look very alike, there's not too much distinction between them. If you look at a picture of Chicago, though most of the buildings have something unique that sets them apart from each other. Some examples are; The Lake Point Tower, The CNA Plaza (that tall, red building), Marina City, and the Smurfit Stone Building. (the one with the diamond-shaped top)

I'm not trying to trash NY, I'm just saying, that, IMO, Chicago's skyline is more interesting.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
It has nothing to do with the Sears Tower or Hancock buildings. Well, ok, a little bit, but thats not why people prefer it. They prefer it because its aesthetically pleasing to look at with all the different styles, wonderful architecture, the lakefront, etc. Lots of things come into play and its not just density/size that you need to consider. Sure, NYC is far more dense and larger than Chicago's downtown, but I just dont think it looks better. Chicago's skyline is very balanced, unlike NYC.
Agreed! Check out some of my creations at this thread.

QuantumPX - SkyscraperCity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City