Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 10,855 times

Advertisements

I am a 32 year old single mom of two daughters. One will be going into middle school next year and the other is still in elementary school. I am looking to move to either Atlanta or the Chapel Hill/RD area (includes both city and surrounding areas) and really need help your help in knowing the pros and cons of both. Grew up in Asheville, NC so family is still there, currently in Tampa, FL but want to move closer to my family. I have visited both cities on several occasions (for recreation) but living and visiting is totally different. I work as a Paralegal, so finding a job is paramount, but the health and well being of my daughters is my #1 priority.

Both of my girls are very active in sports and outdoor activities so we need a place where we can go biking, to parks, swimming etc. (the more that are within walking distance the better), aau sports (track, soccer, volleyball, basketball, etc.) and school sports when they are of age. They are also very involved in theater, dance, and horseback riding, so having access to equestrian centers and kid friendly theater programs is important. I need a place that will have excellent schools: elementary, middle and high (not just grades but extra curricular activities and parental involvement as well); we need a place where not only they can grow and thrive, make friends, and be involved but where I can as well. It has been very difficult for me to have a social life in Tampa and meet people my own age and that share the same interests. I need an area that has relatively low crime, no city has none, kid friendly, family friendly neighborhoods. Nice housing that is not too expensive. Cost of living and outside expenses are a big factor (if the house is cheap but the taxes, insurance, gas commuting, costs of maintaining a home and/or spending an evening out is outrageous, what's the point). It all needs to balance out. I need a place that has plenty of diversity and appectance. No closed minded areas or schools. We like southern living, country life and hospitality but like being able to have access to the benefits of the big city.

I want a place that gives us everything we need and a place we can call home. The move is going to happen mid July, so any help knowing the overall benefits and negatives of what both cities offer and what areas and schools to look at move closely would help greatly. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City