Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
If you live in any part of the US then your a Yankee too..........

I refuse to be part of any region that refuses to use correct spelling and grammar.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:55 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I refuse to be part of any region that refuses to use correct spelling and grammar.
So thats why you don't like the south?????

Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
So thats why you don't like the south?????
What are you talking about? Judging by your talent with grammar, he is speaking of the northeast. Since you are from the north. Because you are from Maryland.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
What are you talking about? Judging by your talent with grammar, he is speaking of the northeast. Since you are from the north. Because you are from Maryland.
Winner, winner...

Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
"Not getting respect" is not really the South's problem in my opinion. After all, there are literally hundreds of threads on General US talking about the south in one way or another.

And while there are obviously a lot of posters who have various prejudices about the south or a general dislike of the south, (some ex-Southerners, some Northerners), I wouldn't say that this means that the south is not "respected" -- just not liked. There's a difference. FWIW I'm not one of these anti-South people although I'm far from a southerner.

The regions of the country which frankly get no respect are the ones that nobody talks about. Take the Great Plains, for instance. The Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Eastern Montana, Eastern Wyoming, Eastern Colorado. No cities of any size, rather uninspiring landscape for the most part (The Black Hills are the obvious exception), declining population, harsh climates. Those who love the Great Plains tend to most like the solitude and elbow room of the big sky and wide open spaces.

Even the Mountain West, probably the second most ignored region, at least gets some cred nationwide for scenery and the ski industry. In other words, people like to visit there even if it remains fairly underpopulated and isolated. The Great Plains don't even get any tourists.

So I conclude that the Great Plains would be by far the region that gets the least respect.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:34 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
So I conclude that the Great Plains would be by far the region that gets the least respect.
Well, there has to be a good reason for most people to want to go there. Doesn't it have some cool farms?

Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 PM

29 posts, read 119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
I notice that people who aren't from the south speak very poorly about southern cities and people. Please tell me why no one likes the south. We got major metropolitan areas, great food, and great vacation destinations. So why do people hate us so much?

Well I won't say hate, but from much of the rest of the country, we found the South to be backwards in a lot of areas compared to the rest. Personally I found this stereotype to be very true for a large % of the southern states when dealing with them from a corporate standpoint. For some reason the southern people just seemed much slower, laid back, not as competent as the Northern counterparts. Sometimes I was shocked on how incompetent some guys/gals were down there. This wasn't true for everyone but on average they were pretty bad.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Your very entertaining so much to the point that you don't even realize that you answered the OP's topic Question of "Why doesn't the South get any respect?"

Its Maryland Haters and Prejudice people like you that give the South a bad name.

Whether you like it or not Maryland is a Southern State and if you don't like then there is nothing you can do to change it which is why you are taking your frustrations out on me....

Again thanks for being so entertaining; your anti-Maryland comments are very comical.......

Old 06-08-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Winner, winner...
So now you are resorting to calling people that you don't associate as being southerners as ignorant......

Very intelligent of you.........

But in reality meaning in the real world people who have common sense will know that the state of Maryland is not in the Northeast and is below the Mason/Dixon making it a Southern state....

Sorry that you can't accept solid facts..........

Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Your very entertaining so much to the point that you don't even realize that you answered the OP's topic Question of "Why doesn't the South get any respect?"

Its Maryland Haters and Prejudice people like you that give the South a bad name.

Whether you like it or not Maryland is a Southern State and if you don't like then there is nothing you can do to change it which is why you are taking your frustrations out on me....

Again thanks for being so entertaining; your anti-Maryland comments are very comical.......
I'm not frustrated at all. In fact, I find you comical. Your assumptions that people hate Maryland are so based in a non-reality that it's truly amusing.

Besides, I'm not from the south. I'm from upstate New York. I just live down here.

I have nothing but love for the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City