Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:07 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,729,639 times

Advertisements

Ny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,285 times
I love California's, the simplicity is great. I also love Oregon's, Michigan's, Virginia's, Pennsylvania's and basically any other state that has a simple old-school look.

Also, states should only have a saying if its iconic and immedeatly recognizable with one specific state. Good examples include: Lone Star State, Live Free or Die, Land of 10,000 Lakes, and Empire State.

Land of Lincoln, America's Dairyland, The Birthplace of Aviation, Great Faces Great Places. No thanks. Those just sound cheesy and corny.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Minnesota's aren't the worst although I could certainly do without the explore in the top left.

I wish we could just go back to these though. I love these:

Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM

56 posts, read 154,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I'll take that over new one!

Terrible, blocky design that looks like it was done by an 8th grader. Alludes to a war that is almost historically pointless and no one really cares about other than the creation of the national anthem or the burning of the original White House. Polling has said most people here would rather go back to having the old, most boring plate in the US design rather than the pile of garbage they dumped on us.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:15 PM

I like the old MD one. That new one is atrocious.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
Personally I think any state that puts their government website at the top.

Amen brother! I’m so sick of every state’s license plate. I first got sick of it in the middle 80s. I remember my home state switching from it’s traditional plate that just said Pennsylvania across the top and keystone state across the bottom to “You’ve Got a Friend in Pennsylvania.” My state, like many others threw millions of dollars at catchphrase campaigns to promote our state.

I miss the pre 1980s plates, but mostly those used between the 30s through the early 70s. Here are some examples:

New plates that I really loath with the worst one having www.state.pa.us or maybe even visitPA.com Hey, if we wouldn’t have left our jobs leave the country, maybe we wouldn’t need plates that promote tourism as a way to bring money into the state…

New
http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/jpglps/USA_PA_GI7_1970's-today.jpg (broken link)
Old
http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/jpglps/USA_PA_GI6_1950's-60's.jpg (broken link)

Ok, if the above photos didn't work, they can be found here:
new plates License Plates of Pennsylvania (United States)
Old plates http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/jpglps/USA_PA_GI6_1950's-60's.jpg (broken link)

Now am I the only one that thinks the old plates look much better? I mean come on, all one that’s familiar with Pennsylvania’s silhouette has to do is look at a 70 or earlier plate, and they instantly know it’s a Pennsylvania plate. It’s so simple that it’s indecently brilliant. I think that this is a case where less is definitely more.

I’ve noticed this with many other states as well. The new plates with their government come visit our state, website, and the like tripe has to go. It’s ugly!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 AM

19 posts, read 53,613 times
DC and California are both pretty bad. California is just too plain, DC is just plain ugly.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Amen brother! I’m so sick of every state’s license plate. I first got sick of it in the middle 80s. I remember my home state switching from it’s traditional plate that just said Pennsylvania across the top and keystone state across the bottom to “You’ve Got a Friend in Pennsylvania.” My state, like many others threw millions of dollars at catchphrase campaigns to promote our state.

I miss the pre 1980s plates, but mostly those used between the 30s through the early 70s. Here are some examples:

New plates that I really loath with the worst one having www.state.pa.us or maybe even visitPA.com Hey, if we wouldn’t have left our jobs leave the country, maybe we wouldn’t need plates that promote tourism as a way to bring money into the state…

Now am I the only one that thinks the old plates look much better? I mean come on, all one that’s familiar with Pennsylvania’s silhouette has to do is look at a 70 or earlier plate, and they instantly know it’s a Pennsylvania plate. It’s so simple that it’s indecently brilliant. I think that this is a case where less is definitely more.

I’ve noticed this with many other states as well. The new plates with their government come visit our state, website, and the like tripe has to go. It’s ugly!
Honestly, I like Pennsylvania's current license plates. The 2000 series is kind of bland color-wise, but the 2005 series is distinguished with its stronger colors, and I can easily spot them in traffic. As for the older plates, the gold letters on the blue background are better than the blue letters on the gold background. Of the older plates, I like the 1995 series best of all.

And I don't have a problem with presenting the website either. Pennsylvania was the first state to do this, and I know that Georgia and Indiana have picked it up too, among other states. And what's wrong with promoting tourism? By the way, manufacturing jobs didn't really leave the country so much as get automated, and Pennsylvania's economy has been much more resilient in this economic crisis than most other states.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 PM

8 posts, read 31,309 times
Actually pretty nice:

Old 05-14-2011, 02:51 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,860 times
The worst license plate ever was the idiotic "Statue of Liberty" plate for New York back in the '80s. The plate is for New York State, not New York City, so the design didn't even represent everyone.

This was fixed when they changed the plate to the NYC-ADKS-NiagaraFalls design later... but now we're in a two-plate limbo because of the return to "Empire Gold" - the hideous orange-and-blue 1970s design that no one likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City