Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:25 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah, after the slack annexation laws were passed and the Texas Cities started to cover large areas, the development became along the lines of LA, but to say that the cities were formed along the lines of LA is totally wrong. Houston had twice as many people as LA when Texas joined the US.
Maybe yall didn’t copy but start doing the same thing. Atlanta hand a lot of satellite cities now turn suburbs. Towns that had a nice size downtown and pretty much did their on thing. Atlanta founders didn’t plan for Atlanta to be a major city, now suburbs didn’t view Atlanta as a core city. So with many close non cohesive satellite cities, being a place with no ambition to be a major city, surround by forest, creeks and hills. Of course there’s no LA or Houston size lay out, that was too large scale. When the 50s and 60s came Atlanta started to sprawl in the areas between. The balkanize region became one metro which explains our lay out. Houston, and DFW had more open areas for larger scale plans which explain yall lay out.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:30 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Atlanta feels like a metro of 3 million, seriously... 18 people who said it feels bigger need to get out more
And you know this how?

You have proven over time with your repeated idiotic remarks about the place that you have never been here.

So, how exactly would you know this?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

You miss what I'm saying just cause Atlanta dominate with large scale new urban project doesn't mean there aren't thousands of individual small developments. However with saying that most Atlanta smaller development are New Orleans like dense single family house, or rowhouses, Atlanta zoning codes are too strict for randomness like that.
There might be and I never stated there wasn't. But not at the level of what Houston and Dallas are building. Basically you are overexaggerating when you say Atlanta is WAY ahead of these two cities in new urbanism. That's not true at all. All three have infilled differently because even Dallas does not have the dense single family townhomes that Houston does in multiple neighborhoods around the urban part of the city. BTW, Houston has already done the dense single family New Orleans like homes decades ago. If Atlanta is ahead, it's barely ahead.

Quote:
Yeah it seem like LA, that buliding spade posted has were modeling after LA style density all over it.
Actually it isn't. It's actually modeled after suburban Tokyo density which is probably denser than most American major cities including the higher dense cities.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 AM

818 posts, read 1,387,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And you know this how?

You have proven over time with your repeated idiotic remarks about the place that you have never been here.

So, how exactly would you know this?
I've been to Atlanta John and have also been to San Diego and Baltimore, Atlanta feels about their size on metro and much much smaller by city. Atlanta feels the same size as Orlando, difference is Orlando is too poor of a hillbilly swamp to afford skyscrapers but without Ted Turner the same can be said for Atlanta.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I've been to Atlanta John and have also been to San Diego and Baltimore, Atlanta feels about their size on metro and much much smaller by city. Atlanta feels the same size as Orlando, difference is Orlando is too poor of a hillbilly swamp to afford skyscrapers but without Ted Turner the same can be said for Atlanta.
This ridiculous statement proves my point. Thank you.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
This ridiculous statement proves my point. Thank you.
Then tell me something, why does Atlanta need skyscrapers? It has no office market to support it, one of the highest vacancy rates in the country with a horrid economy that only gets worse but Atlanta building 5 new skyscrapers when it cant even fill half the ones it has makes sense to you? Why does Atlanta need skyscrapers anyway? It has no corporate power... 1 skyscraper for coke, 1 for home depot, 1 for TNT, 1 for CNN, 1 for Lil Wayne's Cash Money records, 1 for Delta, 1 for the airport, 1 for MARTA, and 1 for CDC is all Atlanta needs with 9 skyscrapers total.

Atlanta doesnt have the market for skyscrapers, it builds them to appear richer than it is and more powerful than it is, but truth is the office vacancy rates tell the true story. Atlanta overbuilds, it built enough condos to house 100K extra people in its city limits, the census came out John and Atlanta gained 3,000 new Atlantans!!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Maybe yall didn’t copy but start doing the same thing. Atlanta hand a lot of satellite cities now turn suburbs. Towns that had a nice size downtown and pretty much did their on thing. Atlanta founders didn’t plan for Atlanta to be a major city, now suburbs didn’t view Atlanta as a core city. So with many close non cohesive satellite cities, being a place with no ambition to be a major city, surround by forest, creeks and hills. Of course there’s no LA or Houston size lay out, that was too large scale. When the 50s and 60s came Atlanta started to sprawl in the areas between. The balkanize region became one metro which explains our lay out. Houston, and DFW had more open areas for larger scale plans which explain yall lay out.
again, there was no large scale layout.
The present look has you confused. The present look came across via removal of homes and realignment of roads to make them look like they were always one continuous street.

Dude Houston was the Johnny come lately in the area.
There were many towns around it before it was formed, and there were many that developed after. You really think that all that area around Houston was empty and then Houston just built its boundaries further and further??? lol, no.

Houston had very famous burbs from early on, but back then people would not call it sprawl. The original burbs were densely build and had streetcar public transportation. The first burbs were Montrose and The Heights. Houston spent its annexation power annexing areas that were gonna hem itself in and then filling in the areas between.

It is not until the 60's that those pushed out suburbs started. Look how big an area beltway is and look how everything within those things are different. Its outside the beltway where you find the endless cul de sac, look a like houses.

No Houston did not plan to be big in the way I think you are thinking. It did not set 40 mile long roads and then develop these roads.

The long roads you see like Westheimer used to be Farm to market Roads.
Westheimer Farm Road carried produce from the farms in Katy Texas, to the Markets in Montrose and Midtown. The towns that sprung up along the way were just absorbed into the city.

Anyway, my point is there was NEVER any large scale plans. Just lax annexation laws. A Texas city of 100K population has jurisdiction of 5miles around the city limits in each direction. Besides, a city doesn't plan limits. Developers develop hoods and the city decides if it wants to snatch it, or the residents decides if they want to form their own town or if they want to be annexed into Houston.

All the small towns here with their own downtowns have suburban housing all around it. The city of Katy for example has a population of about 8K, but there are about 250K living around it. The City of Spring has about 12K but there are hundreds of thousands of people living around it. All of these are in Houston's territory. If Houston wanted it can go from two million to 4M in a snap. No laying out of streets and building required, the people are already there.

Texas and Georgia are rather different in this regard. Y'alls metros are built on a zillion different cities while ours are playing king of the mountain. No offense but I rather the area being rules by 5 or 6 mayors rather than 30.

I just can't imagine how anything gets done with 30 people all wanting their way.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Delusional? Now thats not nice, I just tell it like it is and guess what? Your Atlanta CBS news agrees with me, I suppose we're all delusional!

"White said the problem is that Atlanta has not seen positive job growth in three years. Plus, there's been 5 million square feet of new office space developed during that same time period. White also said Atlanta has the second highest office vacancy rate in the nation and more than 20 percent of the city's office space is empty."You could probably see more buildings next year going into foreclosure," said White"

Atlanta Has Second Highest Office Vacancy Rate - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

Read about it John, you may learn a thing or two about your city from me.
Desperate much? Wow, a 9 month old news story! How absolutely fascinating.

How telling that you fail to mention that the five towers were financed by New York, Toronto and German interests? Or the fact that two of the five are now fully leased up? Or that one of those two just sold for a record-breaking price per square foot here?

I guess REAL facts and figures don't fit you hate-filled agenda, do they?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Wow, a 9 month old news story! How absolutely fascinating.
I wholeheartedly agree! As fascinating as it was here is one from May 9th, 2011

"The office vacancy rate in the Atlanta market area increased to 17.4% at the end of the first quarter 2011. The vacancy rate was 17.2% at the end of the fourth quarter 2010, 17.3% at the end of the third quarter 2010, and 17.2% at the end of the second quarter 2010."

MARKET TREND: Atlanta's Office Vacancy Increases Slightly in Q1 2011 - CoStar Group

Old 05-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree! As fascinating as it was here is one from May 9th, 2011

"The office vacancy rate in the Atlanta market area increased to 17.4% at the end of the first quarter 2011. The vacancy rate was 17.2% at the end of the fourth quarter 2010, 17.3% at the end of the third quarter 2010, and 17.2% at the end of the second quarter 2010."

MARKET TREND: Atlanta's Office Vacancy Increases Slightly in Q1 2011 - CoStar Group
And? The national figure is 13.7%. In a market with over 144,000,000 square feet of office space, the figures you post are hardly surprising coming out of a deep recession. Don't you worry though, the space will fill up. Companies continue to move here, many from your region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City