Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:40 PM

640 posts, read 461,315 times

Advertisements

I went to college in Arkansas. There are some scary people 'round some them there parts....

Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I saw the movie, it was depressing. I also saw Fargo , sort of the same thing, even thou most of it was filmed in your area........... Upper Michigan is working to change the image. Yoopers , you know, have had a hard life. Now that the mines are going, and the timber has all been cut, theres not much left, except, the most beautiful shore line in the world, and a major destination for tourists.
Everywhere you go , be it the mills in Gary, In. to the mines in Min., to the slums of NYC,to the hills of WV.,the car factories in Detroit, they all have one thing in common..... Big business moved in , exploited the people, raped the land, and left the rubble, sad story.........to be reputed, to be condemned, to poverty, and hopeless futures . The problem is correcting all the misdeeds of the all mighty dollar, ......... to be resolved by assimilation as there will soon be no where else to exploit , no where for our unwashed to go ,but to be like kind, all of us, the middle class will be no more. I have seen the enemy, it is us...........we deserve what we get, for doing nothing.....

Sorry for my poetical, politics, but , as carried away as I get , its true, we are a dying nation. 200 plus years may have been the limit. Look whats happened to the USSR, maybe its OUR turn.......

Damn! ........

Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
That is so true. I always wonder why people make fun of the quiet, respectable people who live in small towns, keep to themselves and do no harm to anyone. I grew up in the south. While it was rare that I came in contact with very small town people in rural areas, when I did I gained great respect for their manners and knowledge.
I miss the south so much! A remote house in the Tennessee hills would be paradise on earth.
A-men! Ditto.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
That's not redneck. That's an American exercising their constitutional rights to hunt and protect their families. You have less crime because citizens are armed. The higher crime rates are in towns where only the criminals have guns.
Not competely sure about that,I thought I was before. I've heard that despite western states such as NM & AZ allowing open carrier permits doesn't necessarily deter crime that much,as crime rates there are just as high as other places.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Country Music ?........... Did you know that the abundance of country radio stations is in the big cities, and the concert fans are too. You are much more likely to pick up a country station in the populated sophisticated urban places , than in the rural south.
Are you sure? I used to scan the radio all the time on my trips and I noticed a change in formats the farther away from the cities I got. It would go from mostly urban music to almost all country.
As far as the cities vs the rural south,here in the Phila/NY area there is a total of one(1)country music station,there used to be one in NYC but now that's even gone and even a couple of the a.m. country stations are gone too. In the 90s country was the #1 radio format in the nation,not sure if it still is. My guess now would be urban music
By the way in the Really rural south there's hardly any radio,except for Gospel and Country!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Everywhere you go , be it the mills in Gary, In. to the mines in Min., to the slums of NYC,to the hills of WV.,the car factories in Detroit, they all have one thing in common..... Big business moved in , exploited the people, raped the land, and left the rubble, sad story.........to be reputed, to be condemned, to poverty, and hopeless futures . The problem is correcting all the misdeeds of the all mighty dollar, ......... to be resolved by assimilation as there will soon be no where else to exploit , no where for our unwashed to go ,but to be like kind, all of us, the middle class will be no more. I have seen the enemy, it is us...........we deserve what we get, for doing nothing.....

Sorry for my poetical, politics, but , as carried away as I get , its true, we are a dying nation. 200 plus years may have been the limit. Look whats happened to the USSR, maybe its OUR turn.......

Ahh...a fellow visionary

Old 10-11-2007, 05:22 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Are you sure? I used to scan the radio all the time on my trips and I noticed a change in formats the farther away from the cities I got. It would go from mostly urban music to almost all country.
As far as the cities vs the rural south,here in the Phila/NY area there is a total of one(1)country music station,there used to be one in NYC but now that's even gone and even a couple of the a.m. country stations are gone too. In the 90s country was the #1 radio format in the nation,not sure if it still is. My guess now would be urban music
By the way in the Really rural south there's hardly any radio,except for Gospel and Country!
Thats what the statistics say.. and , I believe............... my experience is , that in the rural south, its first Gospel , then , whats called Country Rock in the larger cities. You won't hear much Folk, or traditional country..or country blues...bluegrass an exception in the southern mountains.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,145 times
Quote:
... that in the rural south, its first Gospel , then , whats called Country Rock in the larger cities. You won't hear much Folk, or traditional country..or country blues...bluegrass an exception in the southern mountains.

Where i was, it was all "ding, ding, ding, da, ding, ding ding"...and "and Jeeesuussz saaaaayid"!!!!

So, in short, Blue Grass and Ministry!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Agreed there...Gainesville, Missouri is practically on the border of Northern Arkansas. There are TONS of Hillbilly towns in Northern Arkansas. Probably the most scary hillbilly town I've ever been to would have to be Berea, KY....I found myself surrounded on all sides by rednecks with guns in old Chevy pick-up trucks (shivers)...I ate at the Cracker Barrel then hightailed my ass out of there
is this the same Berea, KY off of I-75?? The city is far from country, and I've lived here about 3 years. I go to college here, which is more than 50% of the city. I've never seen majority of rednecks with guns or old chevy trucks, most are rich business people that don't want to pay huge city taxes in Lexington. Most of the fields there are owned by the college and the city does makes a lot of traditional things, like candles, brooms. blankets, weaving, etc. It's not scary.
It's a great city, with a diverse pop. within the college. It's small, but not too small.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:52 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
My dad spent some time in Berea while he was growing up. If I ever stop for the night on the way from SC or NC to Chicago, I tend to stop in Berea. It's telling that ajf's "experience" (In which it's clear that there was zero danger. Just some pickup trucks that probably contain the sort of folks that would be the first to help you out if your car broke down) is not indicative of Berea because they were at a Cracker Barrel off the highway! That's like people saying "I dunno if I like Chicago. I went through O'Hare and that place sucked!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City