Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 03:10 PM

178 posts, read 480,714 times

Advertisements

Colorado City Arizon is a scary place. IT gives regular LDS Mormons a bad reputation. They are fundamentalist LDS the whole town seems to be involved in the polygamist group. It is said that if you are driving through even the police of that community will follow your car to verify you are leaving. Luckily Utah Nevada and Arizona Law Enforcement cracked down on the city about a year and a half ago and are cleaning up its act. Too late for the many 15 year old girls who had to become the ninth wife of the mayor or police commisioner, while the teeneage boys were ran out of the town to reduce compitition.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,857 times
I live in snowflake/taylor, az. you are right it is VERY creepy, the town was founded by crazy mormon pollygamists!! also there is alot of cousin lovin goin on around here and its not hard to spot the inbreads! also there is this weird tweeker/smelly hippie comunity east of town, cops wont even go out there! even if there a murder! i will be moving back to mesa very soon!! this place scares the **** outa me!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:29 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,607,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixFive175 View Post
I went to Gatlinburg, TN from my home in E. Peoria, IL. I stopped at Berea for lunch. Berea has a fantastic visitor center which emphasizes and sells crafts made by artisans in the area. It's off of the furthest N exit, Exit 77, along I-75.

Berea also has a very good college, considered one of the "greenest" colleges in the nation.

I also read on a list that Berea is a sort of gay center for Kentucky. I didn't see much of that, but given the amount of artisans and a college there, I guess it doesn't surprise me.

As for rednecks: Hmmmmm. Maybe that person had a bad experience. I'm sure there are rednecks around Berea, as there are in most places, actually. I just know I didn't encounter any and I found Berea to be a really nice stop along I-75, worth checking out.

By the way, for those headed south, Berea is your first glimpse of mountains, seen to the E and SE. About 5-10 miles south of Berea, you actually drive through some of them!

Everything you said is head on! When I went to Bristol Tennessee from WI I drove through Berea and even stopped, not sure what the exit number was very friendly folk there. I too noticed the mountains as I ascended into Berea it was a view worth photographing in which I did.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,803 times
Dudes and dudettes, Berea is an awesome little town to visit! It's a craftsman community. Wonderfu arts and crafts. The historic boone tavern hotel is a great place to visit and don't forget to order the world famous spoon bread in their restaurant.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,412 times
Most of the small towns in middle Tennessee. I felt like everybody just watched me get out of a huge flaming space ship that I just crash landed in the parking lot. As I walked in someplace they acted like my third eye or big ole ratlike tale scared them so bad they couldn't talk or smile. Just look with various expressions on their faces.
Oh, I forgot. UNLESS it looked like I was going to spend money. Then those people involved might act like my best buddy since childhood. But after I spent my money and they sensed no more coming. They only saw the guy from the space ship again.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:27 PM

652 posts, read 1,784,939 times
Default I think you're off

You're inferring things that are not defenseable, you are assuming things that you cannot prove and your whole concept is more than a little condescending and bigotted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
I've always been a little fascinated about the idea that there are these incredibly secluded towns in the hills of Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Towns where people are possibly inbred and choose to keep to themselves and out of mainstream America. Trust me- i'm not making fun of any of these states, simply using the state names that most commonly come up when discussing this matter.

Are there people who live near places like this where it's best not to get too deep into the woods because of the people who live there? Anybody have some good stories to tell? Has my mind been warped by movies such as Deliverance and Wrong Turn?

Just wondering.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 PM

200 posts, read 806,840 times
the Moderator cut: substitute "member" who posted this should be forced to take an appalachian culture class at the local community college. There are no towns like that anymore. Ignorance is what fuels stereotypes!

Last edited by Bo; 03-23-2009 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: It's fine to disagree but there's no need to insult other members you disagree with.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:21 PM

6 posts, read 15,853 times
Default Pikeville, KY

Pikeville, Kentucky host Hill Billy Days

check it

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_t4NA5DJjs]YouTube - Hillbilly Days Clog Dancin 2006[/url]

Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
I love seeing these "city folk" who are scared of these little towns! For all the talk of equality, non-judgementalism, and acceptance some can be downright condescending. Perhaps this whole thread reeks of it. It shows a total lack of understanding of small town American culture. But never, ever, go to Cedartown, Georgia.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 PM

6 posts, read 15,853 times
this road don't go to Aintry........you done taken the wrong turn.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ovz434Aac&feature=related]YouTube - Deliverance in 60 Seconds[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City