Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city attributes would you like more/better improvement of?
Taller buildings/more buildings (residential/office) 6 16.67%
Density 18 50.00%
Diversity 4 11.11%
Public Transportation (light rail/subway) 28 77.78%
Parks 8 22.22%
Highways 1 2.78%
Pedestrian friendly sidewalks 17 47.22%
Pedestrian friendly housing/storefronts 14 38.89%
Population 2 5.56%
Just fine with all of the above for my city 2 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 AM

617 posts, read 1,424,538 times

Advertisements

which of the following city attributes would you like to have more/better of?
  • Taller buildings/more buildings (residential or office)
  • Density
  • public transportation (light rail/subway)
  • Diversity
  • Highways
  • Population
  • Pedestrian friendly sidewalks
  • Pedestrian friendly storefronts/housing
  • Parks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Better public transportation, specifically rail-based transit, will take care of about half of the other things on this list if it is appropriately tied to urban land use policies.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
The bolded options below are the ones I chose. See below for feedback on each:
  • Taller buildings/more buildings (residential or office): Skylines are nice, but I don't care much as they don't lend much to quality of life issues.
  • Density - I'd like to see denser development/more PPSM in the south. It would provide a more vibrant and walkable environment. This one's an important ingredient for Public Transit and Pedestrian-Friendly Storefronts.
  • Public transportation (light rail/subway) - We need WAYYY more of this in the US. Way too much car-dependence, and it only takes away from the pedestrian experience.
  • Diversity - I like this and prefer it, but I think there's a good mix of people in most large cities. So, I don't view this as a pressing issue.
  • Highways - In my opinion we need less of these. These chop the city up and eat-up funds that would otherwise go to more sustainable transportation options (rail).
  • Population - This is fine, but ultimately if density and infrastructure are ok, then population isn't an issue. If anything, the south could use a break from growth to allow for infrastructure to catch-up.
  • Pedestrian friendly sidewalks - More of this and streets that are easy to cross. I realize the south has plenty of sidewalks, but thinner streets and an increased ease of crossing roads could improve the pedestrian experience.
  • Pedestrian friendly storefronts/housing - IMO it's all about mixed-use development to get people living, shopping/eating and working in the same areas. This makes for a vibrant city around the clock. More storefronts and housing on every block makes a more sustainable living environment.
  • Parks - I voted for this, but most southern cities I've visited have a lot of parks. I suppose I voted for it because if density were going to increase, the more parks the better to help balance for QOL.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 3,235 times
Better Public Transit (streetcars, light rail, subway, commuter rail).
So far no sunbelt city has commuter rail except LA

-Atlanta has a subway system but it needs better coverage.

-Houston has light rail but it goes nowhere for a city its size.

-Dallas have a more extensive light rail system than Houston and its getting better.

-LA has a subway system but for a city it size it goes nowhere. It also has a light rail system which is more extensive and I think there are more plans for expansion.
------------------------------------------------------

Density should be a main focus for sunbelt cities however without proper means of public transport this will be difficult to accomplish especially since the more density you have the more you may need heavy rail instead of light rail or a streetcar. Highways can only be for so wide, not to mention they are not environmentally friendly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pedestrian Friendly sidewalks is a most, on both sides of the street. Not no dirt path or people walking in the grass or the street.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There needs to be STOREFRONTS and NOT strip malls.

Last edited by Respect With The Teck; 04-19-2011 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Definitely public transit. That's by far the biggest shortcoming of sunbelt cities.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,262,492 times
density, pedestrian friendly sidewalks, and pedestrian friendly housing/stores. i'd say northern virginia is doing a good job with its new development. it's probably the townhouse capital of the u.s., lots of town centers, everything is close by, lots of sidewalks, and as much as i hate public transportation we do have the dc metro, fairfax county buses, and for private transit tons of taxis.

i don't know why real estate developers space everything out on big lots. wouldn't they want to build more housing on less land to save money? wouldn't they make more money doing that? that's what nova is doing with so many townhouses and apartments and almost everybody here either lives in an apartment complex or townhouse. families too.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,235 times
http://c1.ecolocalizer.com/files/2009/03/marta-map.gif (broken link)

When I look at MARTA I see missed opportunities and NIMBY-ism.
Is there a reason for the large gap between Arts Center and Lindbergh?
Also it seems like a line along I-20 and I-75 would've done some good as well along with an extension from the Airport to Riverdale, GA, and extension from Indian Creek to Stone Mountain, and an extension from H.E. holmes to Six Flags

Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect With The Teck View Post
Better Public Transit (streetcars, light rail, subway, commuter rail).
So far no sunbelt city has commuter rail except LA

-Atlanta has a subway system but it needs better coverage.

-Houston has light rail but it goes nowhere for a city its size.

-Dallas have a more extensive light rail system than Houston and its getting better.

-LA has a subway system but for a city it size it goes nowhere. It also has a light rail system which is more extensive and I think there are more plans for expansion.
------------------------------------------------------

Density should be a main focus for sunbelt cities however without proper means of public transport this will be difficult to accomplish especially since the more density you have the more you may need heavy rail instead of light rail or a streetcar. Highways can only be for so wide, not to mention they are not environmentally friendly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pedestrian Friendly sidewalks is a most, on both sides of the street. Not no dirt path or people walking in the grass or the street.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There needs to be STOREFRONTS and NOT strip malls.
Actually several sunbelt cities have commuter rail...Miami, San Diego, Dallas, Nashville, Albuqueque, Austin, and maybe others that I'm not aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City