Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Maybe its just me, but I've never heard of Chicago being overshadowed by NYC and LA. I would say the three cities are the big 3 of USA, but its just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I agree with you, but in saying "overshadows", I think we're talking why people recognize a certain place as opposed to just basic realistic factors like it has a large population, seaport or manufacturing.

I was implying that in my opinon at least, the overwhelming factor that LA is known on at a national and international level is because of Entertainment/TV/Movies/Hollywood. That's why people know LA, along with beaches and scenery. It's not really because of industry, ports jobs, population, education, workforce. That's a huge thing that sets LA apart from Chicago. Chicago has a huge workforce, pretty large population and infrastrucure - but that's not going to grab your average joe's eye in the world.

I wasn't saying LA doesn't deserve the attention it gets from Media or Entertainment, but it is a pretty huge factor in why everyone knows about LA. I mean there are many cities in the world with massive populations well over LA, tons of industry and huge ports, etc. - but that's not really going to make them "famous" to strangers in far away lands. It doesn't take away from the fact LA has all those things, and they're impressive and good achivements. The way you reacted is kinda how Chicagoans tend to react. There's a lot of impressive things and achivements in this city, but they're not really the "flashy" things that actually garner a ton of attention and recognition.
This is only partially true though. Much of what allows LA to attract so many people has to do with the work available there and the large population. LA's job market is huge and its location is convenient--so along with the great weather, all of this has attracted people to live in LA from both within the US and abroad. Many people know of LA due to having family members and friends who live and work there. Again, entertainment plays a large role but it is far from being the dominant industry.

As an aside, though LA does produce much of the US's film and television series, the bulk of these are not set in LA but elsewhere. There is a disproportionate amount set in LA, of course, but it is far from being the majority.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I have no patience when it comes to these sorts of things. Can we at least have a clue?!
Cultural revolution. How is completely under wraps. Rumor has it that it will start in Chicago. "Taking Back the Radio" seems to be the code name. I've heard its some type of overthrowing of the media by the public.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Because it's not as much of a media center. Other than that, it is often thought of in the same regard.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,159 times
One thing that most of these posts overlook is the fact that Chicago is not a trend setting city. Chicago doesn't really follow any trends. When I lived there I noticed that there wasn't any set way to react to different situations. Chicago people used to be very individually minded.(I don't know if they still are) I remember when grocery shopping back in the 1980s a lady lit up a cigarette in an inner city grocery store and without any kind of timidity or anything smoked as she shopped. Something that probably would have never happened in L.A. or N.Y. There are many other example where people act without any influence over what is the right thing to do as set by the trend setting media crowd. Maybe that has something to do with the way people view Chicago. In the minds of some people if you don't follow trends you are out of it in some way.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
chicago is a great place with alot of things to do. lots of people just like la better because its alot warmer. skyline wise, I think chicagos the best. LA cant even compete with chicago or new york, atleast not yet. chicago may not have as many skyscrapers as new york city, but chicago has taller buildings. new york only has the chrysler building and the empire state building when it comes to skyscrapers over 1,000 feet tall. LA only has library tower.but chicago has the sears tower, aon center, chicago trump tower, john hancock tower, and the one building right next to the sears tower, I think its the at&t tower. although new york will have freedom tower soon, its nothing compared to the chicago spire heightwise. I wonder if they're still building that thing? new york is nice but chicago has nicer neighborhoods too. chicago has more trees and more living space and its the target of less terrorist attacks. plus people in chicago are just more real. i've been to new york and chicago, but this is just my opinion.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
One thing that most of these posts overlook is the fact that Chicago is not a trend setting city. Chicago doesn't really follow any trends. When I lived there I noticed that there wasn't any set way to react to different situations. Chicago people used to be very individually minded.(I don't know if they still are) I remember when grocery shopping back in the 1980s a lady lit up a cigarette in an inner city grocery store and without any kind of timidity or anything smoked as she shopped. Something that probably would have never happened in L.A. or N.Y. There are many other example where people act without any influence over what is the right thing to do as set by the trend setting media crowd. Maybe that has something to do with the way people view Chicago. In the minds of some people if you don't follow trends you are out of it in some way.
Yes!

The city still seems to be that way for the most part. There is no "image" to live up to. You move to Chicago to live. The reason you should move to any city.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
I don't think that Chicago is overshadowed by LA or NY. I think that both of those other two cities have a much larger CSA. Plus there coastal cities. Chicago's location has never helped it. But I disagree with many posters and I think that Chicago is a world class city. I mean, how can you say it isn't. I think the problem with Chicago is that the "media whores" take up camp in LA and NY and don't give Chicago enough or really any recognition. It is definately world class. But on the same token, I don't think Chicago needs all of the exposure that NY and LA get. That is what probably helps to keep the cost of living down. It's nice to know that Chicago is affordable. I also think that the wheather can ge atrocious in the winter as a result of the lake. It can be hard for visitors or even locals to enjoy the outdoors in chicago when your eyes are freezing shut. I think its location and its winter wheather certainly aren't doing Chicago any favors.

Having said all that, I love Chicago. I was just there again last summer and I think Chicago should most definately be more talked about. I think they have great suburbs too. Food is excellent as well. I could easily live in Chicago, and I would appreciate all it has to offer. Especially coming from my last city. You Chicagoans have nothing to worry about. You have a really cool city and so what if it is not mentioned as much as NY or LA. Who cares. And so what if celebrities don't live there at a similar rate to NY or LA. Who cares where celebrities live? What does that mean? I personally think that it gets its fair share of attention. It's not like anyone will ever go through life and not hear and see a hundred things regarding Chi-town.

Also, for the type of ground that Chicago was built on, you have to give those people representing Chicago there props. We take for granite all of their tall buildings, but few understand what takes place in order to prepare the ground for those massive skyscrapers. I mean look at what has to be done just to build a skyscraper in Chicago, yet they still flourish ahead of all cities except NY. I hate to see so many bash Chicago time and time again on here. It makes me wonder if they have ever really been there. So it's not exactly NY. Who is and who cares? Nothing against NY, but it's a great city in its own right and for what they had to work with kudos...chicago.

Im just grateful a place like Chicago was built. I mean what is there to look down on? Great city, excellent skyline, great food, people, etc. What is there to hate? I mean really, I can find a thousand other cities or towns that we can justifiably tear down, but Chicago,....Blasphemy.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Chicago might actually be gaining population this year as it did the year before. Also, the metro is growing and possibly absorbing Milwaukee's into itself.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:05 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbelt Ninja View Post
chicago is a great place with alot of things to do. lots of people just like la better because its alot warmer. skyline wise, I think chicagos the best. LA cant even compete with chicago or new york, atleast not yet. chicago may not have as many skyscrapers as new york city, but chicago has taller buildings. new york only has the chrysler building and the empire state building when it comes to skyscrapers over 1,000 feet tall. LA only has library tower.but chicago has the sears tower, aon center, chicago trump tower, john hancock tower, and the one building right next to the sears tower, I think its the at&t tower. although new york will have freedom tower soon, its nothing compared to the chicago spire heightwise. I wonder if they're still building that thing? new york is nice but chicago has nicer neighborhoods too. chicago has more trees and more living space and its the target of less terrorist attacks. plus people in chicago are just more real. i've been to new york and chicago, but this is just my opinion.

I think now LA can just a little compete. The new skyscapers in LA skyline make it look so much denser now.

who am I kidding? LA has a long way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City