Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I disagree. I've been to all except SF. Chicago has a huge number of wannabes just like the others. It draws people from smaller towns and cities in the Midwest, and some from the coasts. It definitely has an 'image'...sort of the NYC (closest thing to it) of the Midwest.
It has its wannabees as well, but not in as large of numbers. The atmosphere is much more laid back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 12:29 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
There are plenty of fake people in NYC.

How is stating an honest opinion being fake? (I personally love NYC but plenty don't) ....NYC is one of the most important cities in the world...it's certainly not "factually" the most important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How is being the most important city in the world the same thing as being the city best for everyone or every thing? If it works better for you, you can find analogies in almost anything. Harvard is the best university in the world, but why would you choose it over other institutions for computer science, engineering, dance, film, education, etc. that are actually better in those fields? Michael Jackson might've been a great performer and singer, but how well does he fare among death metal fans?
As you can see above I was quoting tmac9wr. If you would read carefully Why I stated that NYC is the most important city in the world you would not say such absurd things.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:43 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Never been out in Boston, but SF and NYC yes.

The thing about Chicago is there isn't this "image" that draws people to the city. People don't have a set way to dress, act, or behave. If you visit some of the underground House spots around the city you'll easily be able to point out whether people are potraying an image, or just being themselves.

There's a big difference. SF and NYC seem to draw the extremes where people are "trying" to be different. Tattoos, piercings, and bizarre clothes are used as badges of honor rather than self expression.
I guess be sterile, I was refering more to chain restaurants, big box stores, Mcmansions, etc...not so much people. Much of Chicago's north side and near south side have lost much of their soul from 20 years ago.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:15 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
As you can see above I was quoting tmac9wr. If you would read carefully Why I stated that NYC is the most important city in the world you would not say such absurd things.
What are you responding to? What about what I said was absurd? Do you know what absurd means?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-21-2010 at 05:38 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
I disagree. I've been to all except SF. Chicago has a huge number of wannabes just like the others. It draws people from smaller towns and cities in the Midwest, and some from the coasts. It definitely has an 'image'...sort of the NYC (closest thing to it) of the Midwest.
What is this image you're talking about? I live here and have no idea of such a thing.

People move here because they want to live in a big city and it suits their wants and needs. People who move in order to live out some cool fantasy life go elsewhere. I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I guess be sterile, I was refering more to chain restaurants, big box stores, Mcmansions, etc...not so much people. Much of Chicago's north side and near south side have lost much of their soul from 20 years ago.
Some areas have, but many others haven't. Uptown, Rogers Park for example are some of your most diverse neighborhoods in the city.

The thing is though, that people don't move to Chicago to live out "THE Chicago" image. The media hasn't created a Chicago image so there really isn't a set mindset to follow.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Some areas have, but many others haven't. Uptown, Rogers Park for example are some of your most diverse neighborhoods in the city.

The thing is though, that people don't move to Chicago to live out "THE Chicago" image. The media hasn't created a Chicago image so there really isn't a set mindset to follow.
Uptown is, imo, a borderline neighborhood; it has all of the makings of a soon to be yuppi-fied neighborhood, but the Alderman, is slowing that process down by allowing all of the homeless shelters to open up shop there. Broadway just south of Lawrence has seen its share of condo's go up in the last 6 or 7 years, I dont think Uptown or Rogers Park will ever end up like Lincoln Park, but they are different neighborhoods than they were 15 years ago.

Not sure about the "chicago image"...I knew plenty of people who moved to Chicago to live a certain lifestyle, not as glamorized as LA or NYC, but an image none the less.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What are you responding to? What about what I said was absurd? Do you know what absurd means?
Like I said if you would read the thread carefully you would know to what I was responding to. What kind of question is that? Of course I know what absurd means, because I was the one that typed it in here silly.

Now if you want to know what absurd mean let's take a look at the dictionary.

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, absurd means

Quote:
ridiculously unreasonable, unsound, or incongruous
Absurd - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Like I said if you would read the thread carefully you would know to what I was responding to. What kind of question is that? Of course I know what absurd means, because I was the one that typed it in here silly.

Now if you want to know what absurd mean let's take a look at the dictionary.

According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, absurd means

Absurd - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
It's alright if you don't know how to use the word, there's no shame in it.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Uptown is, imo, a borderline neighborhood; it has all of the makings of a soon to be yuppi-fied neighborhood, but the Alderman, is slowing that process down by allowing all of the homeless shelters to open up shop there. Broadway just south of Lawrence has seen its share of condo's go up in the last 6 or 7 years, I dont think Uptown or Rogers Park will ever end up like Lincoln Park, but they are different neighborhoods than they were 15 years ago.

Not sure about the "chicago image"...I knew plenty of people who moved to Chicago to live a certain lifestyle, not as glamorized as LA or NYC, but an image none the less.
Who doesn't move somewhere to live a certain lifestyle? I think your misinterpreting what we're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City