Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 11:12 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times

Advertisements

If you put quality of life, architecture, night life, art & culture, world status, food & drink all together for comparison then New York & Chicago overshadow LA .. and the experts from around the world agree.

The world's greatest city? - Time Out Travel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
If you put quality of life, architecture, night life, art & culture, world status, food & drink all together for comparison then New York & Chicago overshadow LA .. and the experts from around the world agree.

The world's greatest city? - Time Out Travel
Huh? Chicago does not by any means overshadow L.A. in terms of world status, culture, night life, or really any of the categories you mentioned.

That aside, I want to point out that I think people are seriously misusing the word "overshadow".

To me, the word overshadow implies that two cities (or two aspects of cities) are in direct competition with each other and that one is being significantly overshadowed by the other. For example, it would be appropriate to say that New York significantly overshadows Philadelphia, because they are in the same region and are in direct (either real or perceived) competition/rivalry.

But saying something like Chicago's architecture "overshadows" L.A.'s architecture is dumb for several reasons:

1. How can two city's "architecture" compete?
2. Chicago and L.A.'s architecture exist completely independent of one another and are totally unrelated. Therefore, even if there was such a thing as an architectural competition, Chicago and L.A. would not be competing.

If Miami has better beaches than L.A., does that automatically mean Miami's beaches "overshadow" L.A.'s? I wouldn't say so, because both city's beaches exist completely independently of one another.

The only category I can think of where Chicago and L.A. would really "compete", and therefore where the use of the word overshadow is appropriate, would be in terms of international name recognition. And we all know that L.A. does a little more than "overshadow" Chicago in this category

Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
^^ Good Point.

Chicago did invent the near future of music though in House. It's coming back around and you'll see the dance craze growing later in the year.

In the beginning there was Jack!...and Jack had a groove...

Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Huh? Chicago does not by any means overshadow L.A. in terms of world status, culture, night life, or really any of the categories you mentioned.

That aside, I want to point out that I think people are seriously misusing the word "overshadow".

To me, the word overshadow implies that two cities (or two aspects of cities) are in direct competition with each other and that one is being significantly overshadowed by the other. For example, it would be appropriate to say that New York significantly overshadows Philadelphia, because they are in the same region and are in direct (either real or perceived) competition/rivalry.

But saying something like Chicago's architecture "overshadows" L.A.'s architecture is dumb for several reasons:

1. How can two city's "architecture" compete?
2. Chicago and L.A.'s architecture exist completely independent of one another and are totally unrelated. Therefore, even if there was such a thing as an architectural competition, Chicago and L.A. would not be competing.

If Miami has better beaches than L.A., does that automatically mean Miami's beaches "overshadow" L.A.'s? I wouldn't say so, because both city's beaches exist completely independently of one another.

The only category I can think of where Chicago and L.A. would really "compete", and therefore where the use of the word overshadow is appropriate, would be in terms of international name recognition. And we all know that L.A. does a little more than "overshadow" Chicago in this category
It's easy to compare things. You compare because they are different. If they weren't, there would be nothing to compare.

And that's a no.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 PM

Not to be biased...but Chicago is underpriced, underappreciated, and a hidden gem to most Americans. It's avoided the draw of people hoping to live the life they see on "The Hills" or "The City" and has remained a low key spot that seems to only be truly known to actual Chicagoans.

I just see the city growing in the future. Hopefully it stays under the radar though because I would hate to see it lose its soul. When I see my favorite spots start to be overrun with "those" crowds that I try to avoid...it will be time to move on to greener pastures.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:39 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,022 times
Chicago is great the way it is and I don't want people to move here from all over the country and raise rents & sterilize it like they did with Boston, SF, and much of NYC.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:43 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Chicago is great the way it is and I don't want people to move here from all over the country and raise rents & sterilize it like they did with Boston, SF, and much of NYC.
Chicago is no less "sterile" than Boston, SF, or NYC...Not by a long shot.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Never been out in Boston, but SF and NYC yes.

The thing about Chicago is there isn't this "image" that draws people to the city. People don't have a set way to dress, act, or behave. If you visit some of the underground House spots around the city you'll easily be able to point out whether people are potraying an image, or just being themselves.

There's a big difference. SF and NYC seem to draw the extremes where people are "trying" to be different. Tattoos, piercings, and bizarre clothes are used as badges of honor rather than self expression.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
It's just hard to believe that someone is living on the fringes of society when they're paying $1,500 a month for rent. There are exceptions...but usually they're just that, exceptions.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Never been out in Boston, but SF and NYC yes.

The thing about Chicago is there isn't this "image" that draws people to the city. People don't have a set way to dress, act, or behave. If you visit some of the underground House spots around the city you'll easily be able to point out whether people are potraying an image, or just being themselves.

There's a big difference. SF and NYC seem to draw the extremes where people are "trying" to be different. Tattoos, piercings, and bizarre clothes are used as badges of honor rather than self expression.
I disagree. I've been to all except SF. Chicago has a huge number of wannabes just like the others. It draws people from smaller towns and cities in the Midwest, and some from the coasts. It definitely has an 'image'...sort of the NYC (closest thing to it) of the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City