Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
There are plenty of fake people in NYC.

How is stating an honest opinion being fake? (I personally love NYC but plenty don't) ....NYC is one of the most important cities in the world...it's certainly not "factually" the most important.
Well NYC and London are the most important city in the world.

Quote:

ALPHA WORLD CITIES (A++)

London, NY
http://www.diserio.com/gawc-world-cities.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 PM

172 posts, read 273,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well NYC is the second most important city in the world

GAWC World Cities Ranking List[SIZE=2]

[/SIZE]

NYC is the most powerful city in the world.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
NYC lost a lot of its soul. It's soul simply got priced out. A lot of history there though.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:44 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Their location. They are both on coasts and being on the Ocean means more immigrants and immigrants lead to more of an exotic feel. Chicago is very pedestrian and homely. You don't feel like you are in a big city when you are in Chicago. Also, Chicago's night life and restaurant scene is pretty lacking for a city that large. I live in Phoenix and I don't really feel like there is anything in Chicago in terms of dining and entertainment than I can't get here but I do feel that way toward cities like NY, LA, SF, Miami and Boston.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago for many of those reasons. If it had better weather, I would live there in a heartbeat. I like how it's a large city that still offers great suburbs with great schools and the people in Chicago are my favorite in the world, they are warm and friendly but edgy enough not to be boring.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:30 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Their location. They are both on coasts and being on the Ocean means more immigrants and immigrants lead to more of an exotic feel. Chicago is very pedestrian and homely. You don't feel like you are in a big city when you are in Chicago. Also, Chicago's night life and restaurant scene is pretty lacking for a city that large. I live in Phoenix and I don't really feel like there is anything in Chicago in terms of dining and entertainment than I can't get here but I do feel that way toward cities like NY, LA, SF, Miami and Boston.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chicago for many of those reasons. If it had better weather, I would live there in a heartbeat. I like how it's a large city that still offers great suburbs with great schools and the people in Chicago are my favorite in the world, they are warm and friendly but edgy enough not to be boring.
Great post.

That is why I love Chicago as well. It seems to be a very well grounded city. I like how the media and entertainment industries have stayed away from Chicago. It's kept the egos of Chicagoans in check and has allowed the locals to enjoy life without being too worried about status, money, glamour...you know, America's poison.

I'm not sure what parts of Chicago you checked out for entertainment, but most of the cool spots in Chicago are away from the tourist areas. One thing that Chicago does better than ANY other city is House. If you ever check out one of the underground spots around the city you'll see why.

Also, the nightlife is more geared towards the residents. The nightlife here fills a void (a need for entertainment) and isn't used as something just to be "over the top" or attract tourist.

It's "My Kind of Town"

Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well NYC and London are the most important city in the world.

GAWC World Cities Ranking List
How is being the most important city in the world the same thing as being the city best for everyone or every thing? If it works better for you, you can find analogies in almost anything. Harvard is the best university in the world, but why would you choose it over other institutions for computer science, engineering, dance, film, education, etc. that are actually better in those fields? Michael Jackson might've been a great performer and singer, but how well does he fare among death metal fans?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:00 PM

71 posts, read 189,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

That is an insane statement. Have you ever heard of Charlie Trotter or Grant Achatz? Chicago is home to several of the best restaurants in the world. Blackbird, Publican, Tru, Everest, Avenues, L2O, anything from Rick Bayless? Where have you been? And the nightlife? Please, tell me about a spot in Phoenix that can compare to the Violet Hour in Chicago and I would hop on a plane now. There are massive nightlife districts where you can walk to a ton of different bars and clubs.

If there is anything that is not "overshadowed" by NYC and LA it is dining and nightlife.

This thread is dumb, because yes, NYC and LA overshadow Chicago in certain areas, like media and entertainment. But restaurant scene, nightlife, art scene, architecture, skyline, pro sports, economic power, political power, public transportation, music scene, etc. You can certainly argue NYC or LA is better in any of those areas, but overshadow? No, I don't think so. There are plenty of people willing to argue Chicago is first or second in those areas. And if Chicago is third, overshadow is the wrong word. Chicago is always in contention, and fourth is usually pretty distant.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaviews View Post
That is an insane statement. Have you ever heard of Charlie Trotter or Grant Achatz? Chicago is home to several of the best restaurants in the world. Blackbird, Publican, Tru, Everest, Avenues, L2O, anything from Rick Bayless? Where have you been? And the nightlife? Please, tell me about a spot in Phoenix that can compare to the Violet Hour in Chicago and I would hop on a plane now. There are massive nightlife districts where you can walk to a ton of different bars and clubs.

If there is anything that is not "overshadowed" by NYC and LA it is dining and nightlife.

This thread is dumb, because yes, NYC and LA overshadow Chicago in certain areas, like media and entertainment. But restaurant scene, nightlife, art scene, architecture, skyline, pro sports, economic power, political power, public transportation, music scene, etc. You can certainly argue NYC or LA is better in any of those areas, but overshadow? No, I don't think so. There are plenty of people willing to argue Chicago is first or second in those areas. And if Chicago is third, overshadow is the wrong word. Chicago is always in contention, and fourth is usually pretty distant.
I agree. Have to question anyone putting Phoenix or Miami in the same league as Chicago on any measure... I think NYC and Chicago far oveshadow LA as to the urban core.

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 02-19-2010 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Yeah, definitely not starting a war or anything, but I'm surprised someone would say Chicago doesn't feel like a large city, and that there isn't anything restaurant/dining/entertainment wise that you can't find in Phoenix.

There are literally thousands of bars and restaurants in the city - something for everyone. The only thing I can think of is if you're around the touristy areas downtown, the nightlife (as far as I'm concerned) is lacking. You have to get a few miles away from downtown to really experience the true city life. Nightlife, dining, entertainment out in the areas where millions of people live. Not sterile downtown full of tourists and business people. Not that I don't love downtown, but I never choose it if I'm going out on the town.

If Chicago doesn't feel like a large American city - than what does? (obviously outside New York)

Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeah, definitely not starting a war or anything, but I'm surprised someone would say Chicago doesn't feel like a large city, and that there isn't anything restaurant/dining/entertainment wise that you can't find in Phoenix.

There are literally thousands of bars and restaurants in the city - something for everyone. The only thing I can think of is if you're around the touristy areas downtown, the nightlife (as far as I'm concerned) is lacking. You have to get a few miles away from downtown to really experience the true city life. Nightlife, dining, entertainment out in the areas where millions of people live. Not sterile downtown full of tourists and business people. Not that I don't love downtown, but I never choose it if I'm going out on the town.

If Chicago doesn't feel like a large American city - than what does? (obviously outside New York)
I don't even get the same feel anywhere in NYC like I do in the heart of Chicago. With the gap left by the twin towers neither downtown or midtown has the incredible look and feel of the heart of Chicago at say the river and Michigan Ave. I'd bet there are now more high rises over 90 stories concentrated within a mile of that spot than anywhere else on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City