Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: pick one
NYC 108 59.02%
Seattle 75 40.98%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I agree, its not as if NY is a flat land trapped location either. The mountains in the suburbs are some of the best places in the U.S. and the beaches have variety of quiet and pleasant to bustling and arcade designed IMO.

NY gets overlooked for natural beauty IMO

Agree along the Hudson only 15 or so miles above Manhattan is gorgeous, sleepy hollowish even

"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" #15 -- Tapan Zee | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zhangwei0119/3223141864/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I'm not so sure it is overlooked. I think in reality it just might take a good bit of time and effort to get to the places. I think people in Seattle in this regard, could be up on their "hike" in much less actual time. It's easier to get in and out of the city (it's much much smaller) and in closer proximity to untouched nature. That is why the nature folks like Seattle so much, it's the quick access.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree along the Hudson only 15 or so miles above Manhattan is gorgeous, sleepy hollowish even

"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" #15 -- Tapan Zee | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zhangwei0119/3223141864/ - broken link)
Very peaceful, thats what I like about real northeastern cities NY/Boston/Philly they have 'urban', 'suburban', and 'rural'. Although the suburbs are less dense than the west, the suburbs have better scaping on land IMO. Rural outskirts of big NE metros are charming, historic towns and villages with striking scenery

Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm not so sure it is overlooked. I think in reality it just might take a good bit of time and effort to get to the places. I think people in Seattle in this regard, could be up on their "hike" in much less actual time.
I do think its overlooked for all NE metros. If you follow some posts I read by a member named 'Howest2008' and many others that agree with him on the west coast you would think the NE has no topography and is only a big hustle city.

The image of NY appears to mix with city well but its natural scenery gets the short sick in these discussions IMO. Many members believe central park to be all the nature in the NY metro

Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm not so sure it is overlooked. I think in reality it just might take a good bit of time and effort to get to the places. I think people in Seattle in this regard, could be up on their "hike" in much less actual time. It's easier to get in and out of the city (it's much much smaller) and in closer proximity to untouched nature. That is why the nature folks like Seattle so much, it's the quick access.
agree and disagree.

From the city core yes, though many in the metro have both quick access to the city and nature

I spent half my youth in Bucks county PA, could be in (CC) Philly in 30 minutes, Manhattan in 90 and this in about 10 minutes

New Hope, PA from the Bridge | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00/6262268926/ - broken link)

But agree the scale and construct and more dramtic mountains in Seattle afford a difference; though the beaches in the NE are actually far better from May to October (water stays warm through at least half of October)

Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
I do think its overlooked for all NE metros. If you follow some posts I read by a member named 'Howest2008' and many others that agree with him on the west coast you would think the NE has no topography and is only a big hustle city.

The image of NY appears to mix with city well but its natural scenery gets the short sick in these discussions IMO. Many members believe central park to be all the nature in the NY metro

Yes while a different beauty and less dramatic overall areas of VA, MD, PA, NY, CT, and MA can be quite stunning very close to the city

Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM

61 posts, read 119,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
the only reason seatle is not getting "dumped" on is because most that are pro ny is not even taking this thread or poll seriously. I didnt even vote knowing nyc will win anyway.

Seatle vs new york city....really?
How can we expect a poll like this not to be scewed? When the NY metro area has over 20 million people and Seattle has about 3.5??? Obviously anyone on this thread from NY and chose to make that city home will vote NYC.. NY is an amazing city but Seattle wins easily for beauty and as a desireable place to live within people who have a choice. Its the most educated city in the country and competition is fierce for jobs. Honestly the hipster young professional and artsy neighborhoods of NY try and emulate those of Seattles but it feels more artificial. With the major difference in population I'm surprised this poll isn't 95% to 5%.. having said that I love both cities. Seattle is like a mini NY with much more to do outside the city besides visit other cities.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
the only reason seatle is not getting "dumped" on is because most that are pro ny is not even taking this thread or poll seriously. I didnt even vote knowing nyc will win anyway.

Seatle vs new york city....really?
The ban surprises me

Seattle for me.... I am not fan of NYC for living (it is ok to visit once in awhile though). Far too many people squeezed together for my liking. The outdoor ativities near Seattle are awesome, and the city is more beautiful

Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 AM

515 posts, read 986,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevett View Post
How can we expect a poll like this not to be scewed? When the NY metro area has over 20 million people and Seattle has about 3.5??? Obviously anyone on this thread from NY and chose to make that city home will vote NYC.. NY is an amazing city but Seattle wins easily for beauty and as a desireable place to live within people who have a choice. Its the most educated city in the country and competition is fierce for jobs. Honestly the hipster young professional and artsy neighborhoods of NY try and emulate those of Seattles but it feels more artificial. With the major difference in population I'm surprised this poll isn't 95% to 5%.. having said that I love both cities. Seattle is like a mini NY with much more to do outside the city besides visit other cities.
Haha what? Seattle is not even on most New Yorkers radar, let alone trying to "emulate " urban Seattlietes. I'd love to know what hipster young professional and artsy neighborhoods in Seattle you're even referring to, and what neighborhoods in New York you think are trying to copy them.

And, no, Seattle is nothing like a mini NY.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Haha what? Seattle is not even on most New Yorkers radar, let alone trying to "emulate " urban Seattlietes. I'd love to know what hipster young professional and artsy neighborhoods in Seattle you're even referring to, and what neighborhoods in New York you think are trying to copy them.

And, no, Seattle is nothing like a mini NY.
Why so uptight?

All the times I have been to Seattle, I heard NYC talked about exactly ZERO times... so it is not like NY is on Seattles radar either as many new Yawkers would like to believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City