Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 AM

166 posts, read 376,223 times

Advertisements

NYC-duh
LA-Movies, Lakers, Beaches
Chicago- Skyline, Cubs, Bulls, Pizza, Ohare airport
San Francisco- Golden Gate, Trolley
Miami- Nightlife, Beaches, The canes, LBJ
Dallas- The show, Kennedy, American Airlines, the Cowboys, Texas in General
Atlanta- CNN, rappers, TBS, Delta Airlines
Orlando- Disney, Universal
Houston- NASA, energy, Rockets
New Orleans- Katrina, Mardi Gras
Boston- Celtics, American history
This isn't really in any order btw

Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQpilot3 View Post
NYC-duh
LA-Movies, Lakers, Beaches
Chicago- Skyline, Cubs, Bulls, Pizza, Ohare airport
San Francisco- Golden Gate, Trolley
Miami- Nightlife, Beaches, The canes, LBJ
Dallas- The show, Kennedy, American Airlines, the Cowboys, Texas in General
Atlanta- CNN, rappers, TBS, Delta Airlines
Orlando- Disney, Universal
Houston- NASA, energy, Rockets
New Orleans- Katrina, Mardi Gras
Boston- Celtics, American history
This isn't really in any order btw

Why cant people just be more sensible like you

Old 05-12-2011, 05:54 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Its been posted freakin 4 times in this thread dude.Give it up!!Or come up wit facts that support your argument.Its like youre not even trying because you are so filled with hatred and venom.Your emotions are clouding your judgement.

I am beginning to think that back2dc does this on purpose just to get people rowdy..

Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
[quote=rah;19112255]Yes, but you're more likely to run into people who know about NYC, LA, Miami, SF, etc, but who have little to no knowledge of Philadelphia. It's only natural, as Philly has far fewer immigrants and international tourists compared to those other cities.

I said before though that NYC and LA are obviously the 2 cities with the most name recognition, then i said San Fran, and then Philly, Miami, Boston, Houston etc.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I see you live your life to the tune of generalizations...
I noticed that, too. Atlanta is not that homogeneous. No city is.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
The pot calling the kettle black is rampant on here.Cant stand the heat get out the kitchen.All I have heard is people given the reason for hating a place because apparently they feel they are better.Funny how more Atlanta posters on here have been called irrational but when pressed on what statements were irrational. no one cant pin point.

Not one Atlanta posters has put down other cities or regions like certain posters on here.Certain aspects may be quoted as not the favorite thing but not just categorically written off without hardcore facts.I see a lot of double standards for sure.Passes are given for "the big boys" as if they never had or do have the problems.

Still through all these post those posters who are vehemently hateful of certain cities are full of words but no substance.

One culture I am proud to say Atlanta does not have is the culture of elitism,bullying and snobbery.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Yes, but you're more likely to run into people who know about NYC, LA, Miami, SF, etc, but who have little to no knowledge of Philadelphia. It's only natural, as Philly has far fewer immigrants and international tourists compared to those other cities.
I can only speak from personal experience, but I've never been abroad and met someone who knew nothing about Philadelphia. Typically, they know just as much about it as they do San Francisco. The most common response I hear when I tell people where I'm from is....

...In West Philadelphia born and raised, on the playgrounds where I spent most of my days...

The only thing that kinda irks me is the fact that people usually assume you're from West Philly. There are other parts of the city, ya know. Thanks, Will!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Between our jobs yes, we normally to laugh it up on whats being said. Its pure comedy and on lunch breaks gets us through what is otherwise a very long day, have you heard the expression "children say the darnest things" well a new and very popular idea for a comedy series TV show can be "southerners from the deepest of the south say the most radical things". It would be a hit comedy series.

FYI, I think plenty of black women are attractive, I just have disdain how anything black related gets referred to only Atlanta... like DC, NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc dont have successful black people? Atlantans also continuously keep insisting theyre some "black mecca" because MLK was born there... like blacks in NYC, DC, Dallas, Chicago, etc should feel inferior for not living in ATL... gimme a break. I'm white but I'm open to people of any skin color or background, this is 2011 and we learn to live with each other. The deep south is still living in the 1920s where their cities are predominantly oreo demographically and they vote with a biscuit in one hand and a bible in the other.
I just saw this.Actually you have NEVER heard me refer to Atlanta as a BLACK MECCA or anything of a sorts.However Atlanta does have one of the richest African American cultural and historical backgrounds.Maybe just behind NYC,New Orleans.Learning to live with one another means accepting and learning the roles of how every man has contributed to society.Not just saying "hey,my neighbor is black."

This is why people get so upset with you.You say things like we are living in 1920's in an oreo society.Everyone that has the ability to reason and learn can obviously see thats far from the truth.Yet you parade it around and try to throw it in our faces as if you know better than us or we are lying.
You don't know the life I live here.You dont know that my friends are from all over the world and country.Even in my own household.So when you say these things why should we not get offended?

Give me a break now!!D.C. is known as Chocalate City for many years.Black Mecca or not.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
I agree with everything you said and you read my mind. I knew from the moment Montclair posted the "most known brand name companies" and when I saw him post there and actually seeing Atlanta rank decently for once I knew he would probably save that web page to his "favorites" and use it in every thread.

I stated in my post that Atlanta has a few name brand companies that are globally renown but has a weak corporate presence which is true. He quotes me and proves my point by throwing a list of the worlds best known companies, as I had stated in my post I did mention Atlanta has a few globally renown companies but that has nothing to do with Atlanta's medicore corporate presence. For all the arguments people make against Fortune 500 companies they dont realize that is how corporate power is measured because those are the BIG 500 companies in the nation that post the largest revenues and wealth generated year after year. Atlanta coming in with 12 shows how weak its base is for economically competitive metros, the more companies shows where the concentration of the global economy is represented in the country's metros. Its no coincidence that the most profitable companies are the most powerful, even Barack Obama knows that because many of those companies sponsored and funded him for his campaign back in 2008. Why? Because they were amongst the only ones who were able to afford it.

You asked him a question "if it isnt Atlanta, then I ask who is it?". The real answer for a person of any city on this forum would be "I dont believe any city is the bottom, but there are some with more negative protocols to work out then others" which would be a very acceptable and vague answer from a poster who shows decency towards their position but a class 5 Atlantan will respond to your question and I can almost promise you the answer will look like this "Houston, Miami, Dallas" because those are the rag doll cities every Atlantan has picked up to cover for their cities shortfalls. Its evident by the way they treat cities like Charlotte and Tampa as if all should bow to them for being "the king of the south" they even go as far to market their city like that. For what? Its not the largest, not even the most economically vital, nor the most toured. Chicago for example is the MOST toured city in the midwest, the largest, the most economically reputable and has all the characteristics of a "king city" for its region. Atlanta has the culture, which if you ask me is probably the worst part about it since it represents the deepest of the south. If you want to be the king you have to take responsibility for your region, future, past, and present. Atlantans run away from sores when you bring up the souths history on the civil war, its something the "king" must take responsibility with.

Your right grapico, Atlanta is the bottom of the barrel city, it lacks a lot and has a lot of improvements that needs to be made but the thing that pushes it most to the bottom of the bracket isnt so much the city's flaws as it is the flaws of its residents. You will never meet people this arrogant, this obnoxious, and this ridiculously dimmed until you see Atlantans. Whats there to be proud of? They dont have the brand name of NYC, the elegance of Chicago, the importance of DC, the economy of Dallas or Houston, the weather of San Diego, the entertainment of LA, the education of Boston, the history of Philly, the appeal of Miami, the beauty of SF.
It should would be nice for you to qualify your claims.

Here is more evidence of a "weak corporate base".These are all international companies with there U.S. operations headquartered in Atlanta.
Porsche plans new headquarters, test track in Atlanta - AutoWeek

Sony Ericsson Moves US Headquarters to Atlanta

Atlanta Headquarters | enfinity

What does Atlanta have?It has the higher education thats better than in Miami,The entertainment industry that Boston wishes it could have,a history that far exceeds that of Dallas and Houston,the weather thats better than Philly and on and on.....

In other words Atlanta does a little bit of everything fairly well.

The brand name is relative.The fact that you even are mentioning lets you know that its up and coming.No matter how you protest.

Al those international publications that rank Atlanta as a glbal city of importance yet you think we should listen to you?Please tell me why Atlanta is so prominently ranked in more than 5(five) list?

All your cries and yet everywhere you turn the contradictions in your statements are rife with insecure feelings of proving that you are just inadequate.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:20 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Isn't it ironic that there are 3 posters for the last 3 days (over several threads) that have done nothing but post about Atlanta yet some how have the gumption to say it is on no one's radar, not worth knowing about, and pretty much is irrelevant? If there is nothing to talk about, why is it that's all you can talk about?

Don't think you are making anyone upset, cool kids...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City