Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Here's the deal skip

You continuously keep posting that chart like that is data, but its not. Do you know where that chart came from? It was created by a person like us who has no background in any scientific study just a fan of rankings and polls who collected all the data into one chart if you will.

Would you like proof to what I just said? Here it is straight from his own site. The person who created that chart his name is Justin O'Beirne. He made up his own chart and gave each ranking a highest total of 25 points if the city scored perfect, which is the same as you or I scoring the cities on our own. We are not professionals. Read what he had to say on his site to explain his chart.

"In my quest to determine the most important American cities, I discovered a number of studies that sought to rank U.S. cities in order of importance. Some of these studies were academic, others were put together by private companies, and nearly all of them focused on economic data."

Yes, GaWC really does have Atlanta ranked higher than Philly, and in a few other rankings but you see those numbers in his chart the numbers that say "16" or "21", etc he made those on his own as a scientific experiment to combine ALL of the rankings together. There is NOTHING scientific about his chart, it would be the same as you, me, or anyone here doing the chart.

41Latitude - The Most Important Cities in the United States (http://www.41latitude.com/post/400972984/most-important-cities-united-states - broken link)

That chart is outdated as he explained in each of his paragraphs. The FP ranking was for 2008 and if you look at the chart you posted under "FP" Philly, Houston, Dallas, etc were not ranked because they werent on the list in 2008. Atlanta scored high that year but the most recent ranking from FP was released last year and Atlanta was dead last of all American cities.

This is what Justin O'Beirne the creator of the chart you have posted 37 times in your history has to say about "FP" rankings.
"In 2008, the bimonthly American news magazine Foreign Policy, in collaboration with A.T. Kearney and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, released their own ranking of world cities called the “Global Cities Index."

Here are the latest FP rankings as of 2010 (Appreciate the info 18Montclair)

2010 Ranking
1 New York
2 London
3 Tokyo
4 Paris
5 Hong Kong
6 Chicago
7 Los Angeles
8 Singapore
9 Sydney
10 Seoul
11 Brussels
12 San Francisco
13 Washington DC
14 Toronto
15 Beijing
16 Berlin
17 Madrid
18 Vienna
19 Boston
20-tie Frankfurt
20-tie Shanghai
22 Buenos Aires
23 Stockholm
24 Zurich
25 Moscow
26 Barcelona
27 Dubai
28 Rome
29 Amsterdam
30 Mexico City
31 Montreal
32 Geneva
33-tie Miami
33-tie Munich
35 Sao Paulo
36 Bangkok
37 Copenhagen
38 Houston
39 Taipei
40 Atlanta
41 Istanbul
42 Milan
43 Cairo
44 Dublin
45 New Delhi
46 Mumbai
47 Osaka
48 Kuala Lumpur
49 Rio de Janeiro
50 Tel Aviv

Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

Compare that to your chart now. See how Houston was included in 2010 for its first time debut in the ranking but on your chart under "FP" it is blank because Houston wasnt there for 2008 which is the year his chart is for. Atlanta ranks DEAD LAST in the pack of american cities in FP in 2010 when it did favorably in 2008.

Moving on to GaWC... LMAO this was their initial debut ranking, no one believes these people have any credibility to rank cities. Atlanta back in 2000 when it was a metro of 4.1 million people was ranked as an alpha world city. LMAO!!

They had Atlanta in the same tier as Barcelona, Mexico City, etc back in 2000 when it was a metro of 4.1 million... LMAO what credibility? Who actually believes this ranking is the best? Its laughable...

Brookings, Taylor, GaWC all rank every 4 years. GaWC's next release will be in 2012, Brookings in 2012, Taylor in 2012. Mastercard releases once every 2 years so have to wait until next year and Foreign Policy "FP" releases every year.

What I find humorous is when you go around posting that chart like a talented analyst with a PhD from a reputable university made that chart when in reality it was some average civilian who was just curious to see how he would rank every city in importance. Read it before posting it. 41Latitude - The Most Important Cities in the United States (http://www.41latitude.com/post/400972984/most-important-cities-united-states - broken link)

Having said all this, I'll log in later in the day to find my post quoted by afonega, johnatl, and waronxmas this is what each of their posts will look like;

johnatl: "This is wishful thinking like all the other bile you spew out of your hatred for Atlanta"

waronxmas: "You cant accept that the rankings have Atlanta at a respectable position in importance... your just going about your agenda"

afonega1: "Wow so your.telling me the chart is fake?Your just angry Atlanta ranks highly,it ranks higher than PhIlly,HOuston,Dallas,even MiAmi. Its just hard for youto accept Atlanta is the birthplace of MLK, most recognizable brand name coke, busiest airport in the world, home to CDC and TedTurner,TNT,CNN, etc how can you say Atlanta is not as important as peerslike PhIlly,HOuston,MIAmi,DAlklas?"

My response to each of you fellows is not of hate, but your outrageous claims. Do you see the above? I know what youll say before I even make a response post and in the same manner grammatically how you will post as well. NO afonega, the chart you go around posting (probably have it saved as desktop background pic) is not a scientific study. It was put together by someone who created a site to fuel their curiosity for what the most important cities are in the U.S, its no more factual then any thread here on CD which asks "what is the most important city" and every poster has a different list than the others but with NYC on top... those numbers you see with "25", "11" etc on his chart are his own personal number rankings for what he feels the credit those independent studies portray to the best of his knowledge.

I've presented the facts, now I will be quoted by 4-5 Atlantans (always am) who will take their frustration with the facts and opinions on my post with hoodlum level responses and most likely afonega again posting the chart because he doesnt understand what a ****ing joke it is that a common person created it, to him Atlanta ranked high and its all the facts he needs to continue posting it. We shall see in 2012 if Atlanta keeps a high rank on GaWC, probably will as GaWC is conducted by amateurs.. but its clear from FP and a slew of other rankings that in 2008 when the global economy was stable Atlanta was viewed fairly and has since been replaced by many other cities.

I am done posting replies to you 2 Atlantans -afonega waronxmas, quote me and say what you want, take a few swings at both my post, intelligence, and my info if you want IDC. I have a life, a job, and expecting my first child in the next few weeks so I dont have time for you Atlantans nor to sit here and justify why your all in over your heads. Have a blast
First of all my name is not skip.

You were done before you posted. Yet you keep exaggerating and falsifying as if what you say is the word of God.
I accept that Atlanta has slipped in some of these ranking just as it rises.Every city in these list have.Especially in this universal financial times.That was never the argument.The argument was you making the ridiculous claims that Atlanta was somehow inferior and far behind those other cities mentioned in every way shape or form.This is a fabrication on your part.The fact that you acknowledge these list and how much they change yet the more they stay the same.You cant even stick to your original statements because you cant win any of them.

You basically are trying to steer the conversation away from your earlier remarks which were asinine and over the top.So stop and just admit you were wrong.Im not your little brother you can outsmart so easily

You obviously have issue because I posted the chart as a reference to show each study how those cities are ranked in each study ,NOT because the guy added them all up and came up with his own number.This is why I NEVER even mentioned that.It was presented as is to show the ranking of each study period.Obviously if I posted it I gave you enough credit to read the same thing I did.Duhhh..No surprise at all their.
The list is still valid as it shows the breakdown of each city and when and if each city was ranked.
This flies in complete reality of how you say Atlanta does not even fly in the league of other cities.If these charts obviously show how one city can be higher one day versus another then it must show you that it is not an exact science.
You say they have no credibility
However are we suppose to use some person who has nothing but disdain for cities like Seattle,Orlando,Atlanta(the list does go on)because he got an ingrown hair in his rump?

"Dead last"?You with the dramatics again!Its easy to refute you because you are no better than a drama queen,You dont tell the whole truth.In ranking those cites ranked were the most important cities in the world in which every city in America is not represented.Those cities were chosen to be ranked.Big difference smart guy.But im sure you knew that.

The alpha cities index was a change in format of naming only.
Quote:
The 2004 rankings acknowledged several new indicators while continuing to rank city economics more heavily than political or cultural factors. The 2008 roster, similar to the 1998 version, is sorted into categories of "Alpha" world cities (with four sub-categories), "Beta" world cities (three sub-categories), "Gamma" world cities (three sub-categories), and additional cities with "High sufficiency" or "Sufficiency" world city presence.
I must be crazy to give you credit for understanding international economics.In the global economy countries and cities are emerging worldwide,hence the less power and influence America has as the countries can do more for themselves.More global cities are competing with those in the U.S.Does not mean that those cities in the U.S. are doing worse but the field of play has opened up.

Funny how you are so clairvoyant and you know what we were gonna say yet you still canot come up wit anything to present as fact yourself besides trying to pick apart the facts that I and others have presented.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
I dont agree with this obviously but am competent enough to admit biases for where I live, its not worth arguing over since I cant relate to your experience.

I will take your word for it, if this is the experience you personally have had in NYC as well as close relatives and friends then who am I to say youre wrong? I can accept criticism for my city, its not for everyone and thats obvious... but learn to take criticism for your city. If you can handle it then I respect you but if you come out saying hoodlum outrageous things like some of your peer Alantans then expect others to argue back.

For all the supposed bile and hatred that Atlantans claim I have for their city I have yet to post crime stats, your hoodlum culture in bankhead, how pathetic your Koreatowns and Chinatowns look strip malls, your citys weak and sluggish economy, the average income of the average MARTA rider, the poverty rate of all downtown residents, the poverty rate of Atlanta, and the weakness of your citys economy by size and power as compared at least 8 other cities. I tell it like it is, if you want to for my city off what you have personally experienced then be my guest, I was educated to understand that what another man says about his experience is his opinion that same lack of education that I see from droves of your fellow posters who charge at the first person to criticize Atlanta.

I will tell you this I have always felt from the day I first saw Atlanta. Every city has its flaws and drawbacks, no question about it but Atlanta has more than any other city I have stepped foot in with the notable exception for Orlando which is even worse IMO. When posters criticize your city, realize that they might not be lying but are in fact stating the truth of what they encountered there.

Quote:
felt from the day I first saw Atlanta. Every city has its flaws and drawbacks, no question about it but Atlanta has more than any other city I have stepped foot in
This is why I should just stop with you because this shows your ignorance.You have not been anywhere dude and it shows.You probably have rarely been out of Manhattan or Brooklyn to say that.Never out of the country im sure.You call yourself educated because you steeped foot i an Airport 5 years ago?

Just silly.Oh I guess im a hoodlum because this is how you treat people in your post by calling them names.You could bring up all those things but you would also need to mention it for other cities too.How come we dont hear you talking about these things in NYC?the Racism in whole sections of the city?

Just so you understand.Chinatown and Koreatowns are GHETTOS.In NYC it stinks and is so dirty.These are homage to a cities racist past.But I thought you were educated to know that?All around Canal St its just nasty.But hey its NEW YORK!!

Yes Atlanta has a poverty rate that needs to come down.However is not much higher or lower than its peer cities such as D.C.,Baltimore,Miami,Dallas.NYC is pricing the middle class further out of the city.Whats the point if having a city that only rich people can afford to live in a decent neighborhood without fear of crime.Crime in which NYC has plenty.

Atlanta economy is not weak but weakened.Miami is doing a whole lot worse and so are cities out west.

So no its not you telling it like it is as you like to claim.If it were,people still would not be moving here nor would there be such an increase in companies moving theirs business here to and among ofther factors.But hey,you know better than those people don't you?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I just realized that name regoniton could also be a result of Countries having consulates in U.S.cities too.Countries dont set up places where they have no interest or people in which it is significant.

Atlanta has 25 (Senegal announced that it is moving from its location in NYC and India will be here next year)
Atlanta also has more honorary consulates than ANY other city whch shows how much its considered as an important and growing presence on the international scene.
List of diplomatic missions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is not quite true.
After the real deal in DC with over 100 Embassies, New York, Houston and LA round out the top 4.

actually ATL has more than 25. You need external sources other than wiki to find the numbers and addresses, but it is more than 25 for ATL, but it is less than the three other cities I mentioned. NY has more than 100 and Houston has close to 100. ATL has about 60. The cite I last saw listed about 90 for Georgia, but not all were in ATL. I am surprised that Dallas has so few.

Here are the 41 Consular offices in ATL:

http://local.yahoo.com/results;_ylt=...=Atlanta%2C+ga

Here is the 94 for Houston:
http://local.yahoo.com/TX/Houston/Go...ies+Consulates

Last edited by HtownLove; 05-13-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That is not quite true.
After the real deal in DC with over 100 Embassies, New York, Houston and LA round out the top 4.

actually ATL has more than 25. You need external sources other than wiki to find the numbers and addresses, but it is more than 25 for ATL, but it is less than the three other cities I mentioned. NY has more than 100 and Houston has close to 100. ATL has about 60. The cite I last saw listed about 90 for Georgia, but not all were in ATL. I am surprised that Dallas has so few.

Here are the 41 Consular offices in ATL:

Embassies Consulates in Atlanta, GA on Yahoo! Local

Here is the 94 for Houston:
Embassies Consulates in Houston, TX on Yahoo! Local

That not he same thing;
Quote:
Some consuls are not career officials of the represented state at all; some are locally-engaged staff with the nationality of the sending country,[2] and in smaller cities, or in cities that are very distant from full-time diplomatic missions, a foreign government which feels that some form of representation is nevertheless desirable may appoint a person who has not hitherto been part of their diplomatic service to fulfill this role. Such a consul may well combine the job with his or her own (often commercial) private activities, and in some instances may not even be a citizen of the sending country. Such consular appointments are usually given the title of honorary consul.
Their is a difference between honorary and consulte office.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
That not he same thing;

Their is a difference between honorary and consulte office.
Either way, ATL is not the city with the most.

Consulate generals in Houston 75-
Consulate general in Houston, TX on Yahoo! Local

Quote:
A consul of higher rank is termed a consul-general, and his or her office a consulate-general. He or she typically has one or several Deputy Consuls-General, Consuls, Vice-Consuls and Consular Agents working under the consul-general.
Consulate generals are of higher rank than Honorary consuls and Houston has more generals than ATL has Generals and Honorary combined

Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:

Consulate generals are of higher rank than Honorary consuls and Houston has more generals than ATL has Generals and Honorary combined
the embassies and actual consulates are all that matters or you can get real things done at, have a lot of people working at them offer
ing services, etc.

LMAO @ coke being green, yeah RIGHT... should look up some stuff on the ethics of green marketing. coke is far from green. if all it takes is some staged business move to make you think that well, you are already out for the count...

Old 05-13-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:

LOL.You are so funny.I never said that.Why are you picking an argument when there is not one?The truth is Honorary Consulates are a bridge to formulate if a Consul is needed.In that case Atlanta simply has more.If you really want to be nit picky you can clearly see that like Miami,HALF of all Houston's Consulates are in either in the Middle East or South,Central or Latin America whereas in Atlanta they are fairly distributed as they are in Chicago,NYC,San Fran and NYC.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
the embassies and actual consulates are all that matters or you can get real things done at, have a lot of people working at them offer
ing services, etc.

LMAO @ coke being green, yeah RIGHT... should look up some stuff on the ethics of green marketing. coke is far from green. if all it takes is some staged business move to make you think that well, you are already out for the count...
well, yeah I agree about the first part, but you have me confused on the coke being green. I never mentioned green coke

Quote:
LOL.You are so funny.I never said that.Why are you picking an argument when there is not one?The truth is Honorary Consulates are a bridge to formulate if a Consul is needed.In that case Atlanta simply has more.If you really want to be nit picky you can clearly see that like Miami,HALF of all Houston's Consulates are in either in the Middle East or South,Central or Latin America whereas in Atlanta they are fairly distributed as they are in Chicago,NYC,San Fran and NYC.
Well I dunno where the confusion came up. All I was responding to is your point that ATL had more consulates.

And Houston's consulates are all over the place dude,ATL has half the coverage that we do. we cover Europe, Asia, Africa and South America:

Consulate of the Republic of Albania
The Hon. Pedro A. Rubio (Honorary Consul)
10 Waterway Court, The Woodlands, Texas 77380
(281) 548-4740
www.mfa.gov.al/english

Consulate of the Republic of Angola
The Hon. Simao M. Pedro (Consul General)
3040 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 780, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 212-3840
www.angolaconsulate-tx.org

Consulate of the Argentine Republic
The Hon. Ricardo Augusto Gauthier (Consul General)
2200 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 1025, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 871-8935
www.mrecic.gov.ar

Consulate of Australia
The Hon. Nana Booker (Honorary Consul)
4623 Feagan Street, Houston, Texas 77007
(713) 782-6009
www.usa.embassy.au

Consulate of the Republic of Austria
The Hon. Otmar Kolber (Honorary Consul)
800 Wilcrest, Suite 340, Houston, Texas 77042
(713) 723-9979
www.austria.org

Consulate of the Republic of Bangladesh
The Hon. Edward J. Hudson, Jr. (Honorary Consul)
35 N. Wyden Drive, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 621-8700

Consulate of Barbados
The Hon. Louis A. Browne (Honorary Consul)
3027 Sleepy Hollow Drive, Sugar Land, Texas 77479
(832) 725-5566

Consulate of the Kingdom of Belgium
The Hon. Jacques E. Bouchez (Honorary Consul)
2009 Lubbock Street, Houston, Texas 77007
(713) 426-3933
www.diplobel.org/usa

Consulate of Belize
The Hon. Hugh D. McCain (Honorary Consul)
7101 Breen Drive, Houston, Texas 77086
(281) 999-4484

Consulate of the Republic of Bolivia
The Hon. Diana Maria Galindo (Honorary Consul)
16646 Clay Road, Suite 200, Houston, TX 77084
(281) 463-0017

Consulate of the Republic of Botswana
The Hon. Stephen V. Vallone (Honorary Consul)
3200 Southwest Frwy., 34th Floor, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 940-4580

Consulate of Brazil
The Hon. Antonio Jose Rezende de Castro (Consul General)
1233 West Loop South, Suite 1150, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 961-3063
www.brazilhouston.org

Consulate of the Republic of Cameroon
The Hon. Charles R. Greene (Honorary Consul)
6984 Oakwood Place Court East, Houston, Texas 77040
(281) 426-5212

Consulate of Canada
The Hon. David McGregor (Consul & Trade Commissioner)
5847 San Felipe, Suite 1700, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 821-1440
www.houston.gc.ca

Consulate of the Republic of Chile
The Hon. Ricardo T. Ortiz (Consul General)
1300 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 1130, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 621-5853
www.consuladodechilehouston.net

Consulate of the People’s Republic of China
The Hon. Hong Qiao (Consul General)
3417 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77006
(713) 520-1462
www.chinahouston.org

Consulate of the Republic of Colombia
The Hon. Maria Matilde Londono (Consul General)
2400 Augusta Drive, Suite 400, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 979-0844
www.colhouston.org

Consulate of the Republic of Costa Rica
The Hon. Sergio Alonso Valverde Alpizar (Consul General)
3000 Wilcrest Drive, Suite 110, Houston, Texas 77042
(713) 266-0484
www.costarica-embassy.org

Consulate of Cote d’Ivoire
The Hon. Marlene McClinton (Honorary Consul)
1302 Waugh Drive, Suite 482, Houston, Texas 77019
(713) 410-0472

Consulate of the Republic of Cyprus
The Hon. William C. Crassas (Honorary Consul)
1128 River Glyn Drive, Houston, Texas 77063
(713) 465-2091

Consulate of the Czech Republic
The Hon. Raymond J. Snokhous (Honorary Consul)
P. O. Box 8, West, Texas 76691
(713) 629-6963

Consulate of the Kingdom of Denmark
The Hon. Ray Jens Daugbjerg (Honorary Consul)
4545 Post Oak Place Drive, Suite 105, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 622-9018
www.denmark.org

Consulate of the Republic of Ecuador
The Hon. Jorge Enrique Bassante Garcia (Consul General)
4200 Westheimer, Suite 218, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 572-8732

Consulate of the Arab Republic of Egypt
The Hon. El Husseini Abdelwahab (Consul General)
5718 Westheimer, Suite 1350, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 961-4915

Consulate of the Republic of El Salvador
The Hon. Luis E. Carranza (Consul General)
1702 Hillendahl Blvd., Houston, Texas 77055
(713) 270-6239
www.houstonelsalvador.com

Consulate of Equatorial Guinea
The Hon. Inocencio Esono Olo (Consul General)
6401 Southwest Freeway, Houston, Texas 77074
(713) 776-9900

Consulate of Estonia
The Honorable Richard Drake (Consul General)
1912 Buschong Road, Houston, Texas 77039
281-442-8247

Consulate of Ethiopia
The Hon. Gezahgen Kebede (Honorary Consul)
9301 Southwest Freeway, Suite 250, Houston, Texas 77074
(713) 271-7567

Consulate of the the Republic of Finland
The Honorable Ronald A. Kapche (Honorary Consul)
14 E. Greenway Plaza #22R, Houston, Texas 77046
(713) 552-1722

Consulate of the French Republic
The Honorable Pierre Grandjouan (Consul General)
777 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 600, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 572-2799
www.consulfrance-houston.org

Consulate of the Republic of Georgia
The Honorable Lan Chase Bentsen (Honorary Consul)
3040 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 1100, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 585-3233

Consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany
The Honorable Rainer Konrad Muenzel (Consul General)
1330 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 1850, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 627-7770
www.germanconsulatehouaston.org

Consulate of the Republic of Ghana
The Honorable Jack M. Webb (Honorary Consul)
3434 Locke Lane, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 960-8833

Consulate of the Hellenic Republic of Greece
The Honorable Alexandra Theodoropoulou (Consul General)
520 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 450, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 840-7522
www.greekembassy.org/consular/houston (broken link)

Consulate of the Republic of Guatemala
The Honorable Julio Roberto Fong Perez (Consul General)
3013 Fountainview, Suite 210, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 953-9531

Consulate of the Co-Operative Republic of Guyana
The Honorable Terry A. Reis (Honorary Consul)
P. O. Box 440851, Houston, Texas 77244
(281) 497-4466

Consulate of the Republic of Haiti
The Honorable Renato Fabian Pereira (Honorary Vice Consul)
6310 Auden Street, Houston, Texas 77005
(713) 661-8275

Consulate of the Republic of Honduras
The Honorable Lastenia Pineda (Consul General)
6161 Savoy Drive, Suite 625, Houston, Texas 77036
(713) 785-5625

Consulate of the Republic of Hungary
The Honorable Phillip A. Aronoff (Honorary Consul)
11850 Hempstead Highway, Suite 230, Houston, Texas 77092
(713) 476-0497
www.huembwas.org

Consulate of the Republic of Iceland
The Honorable Olafur Asgeirsson (Honorary Consul)
2348 West Settlers Way, The Woodlands, Texas 77380
(281) 367-2440

Consulate of the Republic of India
The Honorable Sanjiv Arora (Consul General)
1990 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 600, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 626-2148
www.cgihouston.org

Consulate of the Republic of Indonesia
The Honorable Kria Fahmi Pasaribu (Consul General)
10900 Richmond Avenue, Houston, Texas 77042
(713) 785-1691
www.kjri-houston.net

Consulate of Ireland
The Honorable John B. Kane (Honorary Consul)
2630 Sutton Court, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 961-5263

Consulate of the State of Israel
The Honorable Asher Yarden (Consul General)
24 Greenway Plaza, Suite 1500, Houston, Texas 77046
(713) 627-3780
http://houston.mfa.gov.il

Consulate of the Italian Republic
The Honorable Cristiano Maggipinto (Consul General)
1300 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 660, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 850-7520
www.conshouston.esteri.it

Consulate of Jamaica
The Honorable Khalfani Omari Fullerton (Honorary Consul)
6001 Savoy Drive, Suite 509, Houston, Texas 77036
(713) 541-3333

Consulate General of Japan
The Honorable Tsutomu Osawa (Consul General)
909 Fannin, Suite 3000, Houston, Texas 77010
(713) 652-2977
www.houston.us.emb-japan.go.jp

Consulate of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
The Honorable Elisabeth Roderburg (Consul General)
P. O. Box 3727, Houston, Texas 77253
(713) 224-2911

Consulate of the Republic of Korea
The Honorable Jung Keun Kim (Consul General)
1990 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 1250, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 961-0186
www.koreahouston.org

Consulate of the Kyrgyz Republic
The Honorable Darrell D. Luthi (Consul General)
15600 Barkers Landing Road, Suite 1, Houston, Texas 77079
(281) 920-1841

Consulate of the Republic of Latvia
The Honorable Stephen P. Payne (Honorary Consul)
5847 San Felipe, Suite 3275, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 888-0404

Consulate of Lebanon
The Honorable Amin Bohsali (Honorary Consul)
2400 Augusta Drive, Suite 308, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 268-1640
www.lebanonembassyus.org

Consulate of Lithuania
The Honorable William C. Altman (Honorary Consul)
4030 Case Street, Houston, Texas 77005
(713) 665-4218
www.ltembassyus.org

Consulate of Malaysia
The Honorable Mont P. Hoyt (Honorary Consul)
P.O. Box 131026, Houston, Texas 77219
(713) 278-7979
www.gov.my/mygov/home

Consulate of the Republic of Malta
The Honorable John D. Ellis Jr. (Honorary Consul)
2602 Commonwealth Street, Houston, Texas 77006
(713) 654-7900

Consulate of the United Mexican States
His Excellency Carlos I. González Magallón (Consul General)
4507 San Jacinto Street, Houston, Texas 77004
(713) 271-6800
www.sre.gob.mx/houston

Consulate of Mongolia
The Honorable Edward T. Story (Honorary Consul)
P. O. Box 399, Comfort, Texas 78013
(713) 759-1922

Consulate of the Kingdom of Morocco
The Honorable Joanne Herring Davis (Honorary Consul)
2121 Kirby Drive, Suite 144, Houston, Texas 77019
(713) 521-7607

Consulate of the Republic of Namibia
The Honorable Jean-Michel Malek (Honorary Consul)
1330 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 2200, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 965-5119
www.namibianembassyusa.org

Consulate of the Kingdom of The Netherlands
The Honorable Geert Visser (Honorary Consul)
5177 Richmond Avenue, Suite 720, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 622-8000
www.nlconsulatehouston.org

Consulate of New Zealand
The Honorable Kathleen D. Kelly (Honorary Consul)
P.O Box 2, Sealy, Texas 77474
(713) 973-8680
www.nzemb.org (broken link)

Consulate of the Republic of Nicaragua
The Honorable Hermes Guerrero Szabo (Consul General)
8989 Westheimer, Suite 103, Houston, Texas 77063
(713) 789-2762

The Royal Norwegian Consulate
His Excellency Lasse Seim (Consul General)
2777 Allen Parkway, Suite 1185, Houston, Texas 77019
(713) 521-2900
www.norway.org/houston

Consulate of Pakistan
The Honorable Mohammad Aqil Nadeem (Consul General)
11850 Jones Road, Houston, Texas 77070
(281) 890-2223
www.embassyofpakistanusa.org

Consulate of the Republic of Panama
The Honorable Alvaro Dutari (Consul General)
24 Greenway Plaza, Suite 1307, Houston, Texas 77046
(713) 622-4451
www.conpahouston.com

Consulate of the Independent State of Papua New Guinea
The Honorable Nathan M. Avery (Honorary Consul)
4900 Woodway Drive, Suite 575, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 966-2500

Consulate of the Republic of Paraguay
The Honorable Gustavo E. Ayala (Honorary Consul)
4707 Welford Drive, Bellaire, Texas 77401
(713) 592-6498

Consulate of the Republic of Peru
The Honorable Carlos R. Polo (Consul General)
5177 Richmond Avenue, Suite 695, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 355-9517
www.consuladoperu.com

Consulate of the Republic of The Philippines
8 Greenway Plaza, Suite 930, Houston, Texas 77046
(713) 877-6700

Consulate of Poland
The Honorable Zbigniew Jacek Wojciechowski (Honorary Consul)
35 Harbor View Drive, Sugar Land, Texas 77479
(281) 565-1507
www.forum-polonia-houston.com

Consulate of the Portuguese Republic
The Honorable Jim Westmoreland (Honorary Consul)
4544 Post Oak Place Drive, Suite 350, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 759-1188

Consulate of the State of Qatar
The Honorable Yousef Al-Khater (Consul General)
1990 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 810, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 355-8221
www.mofa.gov.qa

Consulate of the Republic of Romania
The Honorable Nicholas Alexander Florescu (Honorary Consul)
4265 San Felipe, Suite 605, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 629-1551

Consulate of the Russian Federation
The Honorable Nikolay E. Babich (Consul General)
1333 West Loop South, Suite 1300, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 337-3300
www.rusconshouston.org

Consulate General of the Republic of Rwanda
The Honorable Cynthia Perry
70 Terra Bella Drive, Manvel, Texas 77578
281-489-2067

Consulate of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
The Honorable Abdulrahman Alshaya (Consul General)
5718 Westheimer, Suite 1500, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 785-5577

Consulate of Senegal
The Honorable Fatou Nidiaye Sall (Consul General)
9701 Richmond, Suite 212, Houston, Texas 77042
(713) 706-3300
www.senegalembassy.org

Consulate General of Singapore
The Honorable Michael Dee (Honorary Consul)
333 Clay, Suite 4605, Suite 4605
(713) 739-3035

Consulate of the Republic of Slovenia
The Honorable Richard B. Wilkins III (Honorary Consul)
2925 Briarpark Drive, 7th Floor, Houston, Texas 77042
(713) 361-4900

Consulate of the Kingdom of Spain
His Excellency Miguel A. Fdez De Mazarambroz (Consul General)
1800 Bering Drive, Suite 660, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 783-6200
www.spainemb.org

Consulate of Sweden
The Honorable Jan B. Dryselius (Honorary Consul)
2909 Hillcroft Street, Suite 515, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 953-1417

Consulate of the Swiss Confederation
The Honorable Margherita Young-Zellweger (Honorary Consul)
11922 Taylorcrest Road, Houston, Texas 77024
(713) 467-9887
www.swedishconsulate.org

Consulate of the Syrian Arab Republic
The Honorable Ayman M. Midani (Honorary Consul)
1022 Wirt Road, Suite 300, Houston, Texas 77055
(713) 622-8860

Consulate of the Kingdom of Thailand
The Honorable Charles C. Foster (Honorary Consul)
600 Travis Street, Suite 2000, Houston, Texas 77002
(713) 335-3901
www.thaiembdc.org

Consulate of the Republic of Trinidad & Tobago
The Honorable Pat Younger (Honorary Consul)
2400 Augusta Drive, Suite 250, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 465-4660

Consulate of Tunisia
The Honorable Alfred Boulos (Honorary Consul)
12527 Mossycup, Houston, Texas 77024
(713) 935-9427

Consulate of the Republic of Turkey
The Honorable Ali Findik (Consul General)
1990 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite 1300, Houston, Texas 77056
(713) 622-5849
www.houston.bk.mfa.gov.tr

Consulate of Ukraine
The Honorable Gregory Buchai (Honorary Consul)
5433 Westheimer, Suite 200, Houston 77056
(281) 242-2842
www.mfa.gov.ua/usa/en/

Consulate of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
The Honorable Paul Lynch (Consul General)
1000 Louisiana, Suite 1900, Houston, Texas 77002
(713) 659-6270
www.britainusa.com

Consulate of the Republic of Uruguay
The Honorable Christopher Cox Ashby (Honorary Consul)
1220 S. Ripple Creek Drive, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 781-3993

Consulate of Venezuela
The Honorable Carlos Osorio (Consul General)
2401 Fountainview Drive, Suite 220, Houston, Texas 77057
(713) 974-0028
www.consuvenezhouston.org

Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,962 times
Houston definitely has more than Atlanta. And a lot of oil focused countries like Angola, Equatorial Guinea, and Qatar (this is NOT a bad thing). But Atlanta ranks pretty well, too--definitely not a bad mark for our city.

It's amazing the drop off after DC, NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta. Most other cities only have a handful.

It's hard to get up to date info about which city has what, and whether something is honorary or not. Atlanta used to have an Honorary Haitian Consulate, but now I think it's a real one, and the US government's info confirms this, but Haiti's own Embassy site says Georgia is represented by Miami (there's also one in Orlando they don't mention). Atlanta also has one from Slovenia if I recall--their flag flies right outside of Colony Square on Peachtree Street.

South Africa and Ghana need consulates here. Liberia too. We are one of the main gateways to all of these countries.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

It's hard to get up to date info about which city has what, and whether something is honorary or not.
Not really. The List I posted was from 2010. It is 4 Consulates short though.
2010 List of Houston Area Consulates (http://adaptations-inc.com/2010_list_of_houston_area_consul.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

South Africa and Ghana need consulates here. Liberia too. We are one of the main gateways to all of these countries.
We have a Ghanan Consulate.

Consulate of the Republic of Ghana
3434 Locke Lane, Houston, Texas 77027
(713) 960-8833
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City