Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You can be self righteous all you want on this board but I bet you drive a gas guzzling car,lives in a non green house with light bulbs that are not energy efficient and a home much bigger than you probably have people in.Not fooling anyone.

Childhood obesity comes from overeating.Period.A problem for Americans.Obesity in children is not a problem in most other countries were coke is served so your point is null.

Plastic bottles that I suppose the non coke products you use don't wind up in the streams and rivers.
Either way its the first company to tackle the problem on such a large scale
Coca-Cola goes green, unveiling new, partly plant-based bottles - New York Daily News

So am I exaggerating and falsifying here too?
Well, I have a hybrid. I bike to work usually. We have solar panels on top of our building. We don't have central heat like many homes in SF.

Your so in denial if you dont think soda has a contributing factor to obesity in America.

Glad to hear Coca-Cola is joining the bandwagon on going Green! Thanks, will be an interesting read.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
I just realized that name regoniton could also be a result of Countries having consulates in U.S.cities too.Countries dont set up places where they have no interest or people in which it is significant.

Atlanta has 25 (Senegal announced that it is moving from its location in NYC and India will be here next year)
Atlanta also has more honorary consulates than ANY other city whch shows how much its considered as an important and growing presence on the international scene.
List of diplomatic missions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by afonega1; 05-12-2011 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Well, I have a hybrid. I bike to work usually. We have solar panels on top of our building. We don't have central heat like many homes in SF.

Your so in denial if you dont think soda has a contributing factor to obesity in America.

Glad to hear Coca-Cola is joining the bandwagon on going Green! Thanks, will be an interesting read.

Glad you are doing your part,I stand corrected forgive me.However I do stand by my other statements.
I said out in America childhood obesity is bad.Every food can be a contributing factor if consumed in mass quantity!I don't understand how you can disagree.
Eating too much bread and cheese like my French Tenants do,but they are not obese and never have been.

Nothing new for Coke.Its ranks number one in its industry in the Green Index and 54 overall out of 500.(Coca Cola Enterprises is a separate company.Mostly the bottling arm)
Green Rankings: U.S. Companies - Newsweek

The Coca Cola Company itself ranks 141 overall. Coca-Cola produces over 500 brands of soft drinks, bottled water, flavored water, juice, teas, coffees, and sports drinks. They are sold globally through the company's network of bottling partners, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
I lead the green workplace initiative at my last job and I know a lot about how these things are measured....Coke is doing things to be green, but it is a HUGE waste emitter in the 1st place, so it has very very very far to fall in terms of carbon waste output. I saw and analyzed the case study for Coke's sustianability initiative and a lot of the carbon reductions is coming from water savings (which is great, but really hard to measure). For that matter, ALL CO2 is hard to measure, and one thing I learned for sure from my work in this field is that there is no sure-fire way to measure CO2 usage. I calculated it for my company (top 20 in the Fortune 500), and I couldn't believe how others showed savings!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
So we've determined that Coke is the soft drink with the most name recognition outside of the US, can we go back to cities now. This Atlanta crap is getting old, it's a great and well known city, can we leave it at that and not try to confront everyone who has a favorable view (supported by facts) of the "A."

Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
So we've determined that Coke is the soft drink with the most name recognition outside of the US, can we go back to cities now. This Atlanta crap is getting old, it's a great and well known city, can we leave it at that and not try to confront everyone who has a favorable view (supported by facts) of the "A."
Well we can ALL agree that the top 5 cities at least does NOT include Atlanta.So yes lets please move on.How bout them Braves?Uh-ohh probably not good to use sports.....

Old 05-13-2011, 04:52 AM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It should would be nice for you to qualify your claims.

Here is more evidence of a "weak corporate base".These are all international companies with there U.S. operations headquartered in Atlanta.
Porsche plans new headquarters, test track in Atlanta - AutoWeek

Sony Ericsson Moves US Headquarters to Atlanta

Atlanta Headquarters | enfinity

What does Atlanta have?It has the higher education thats better than in Miami,The entertainment industry that Boston wishes it could have,a history that far exceeds that of Dallas and Houston,the weather thats better than Philly and on and on.....

In other words Atlanta does a little bit of everything fairly well.

The brand name is relative.The fact that you even are mentioning lets you know that its up and coming.No matter how you protest.

Al those international publications that rank Atlanta as a glbal city of importance yet you think we should listen to you?Please tell me why Atlanta is so prominently ranked in more than 5(five) list?

All your cries and yet everywhere you turn the contradictions in your statements are rife with insecure feelings of proving that you are just inadequate.
Here's the deal skip

You continuously keep posting that chart like that is data, but its not. Do you know where that chart came from? It was created by a person like us who has no background in any scientific study just a fan of rankings and polls who collected all the data into one chart if you will.

Would you like proof to what I just said? Here it is straight from his own site. The person who created that chart his name is Justin O'Beirne. He made up his own chart and gave each ranking a highest total of 25 points if the city scored perfect, which is the same as you or I scoring the cities on our own. We are not professionals. Read what he had to say on his site to explain his chart.

"In my quest to determine the most important American cities, I discovered a number of studies that sought to rank U.S. cities in order of importance. Some of these studies were academic, others were put together by private companies, and nearly all of them focused on economic data."

Yes, GaWC really does have Atlanta ranked higher than Philly, and in a few other rankings but you see those numbers in his chart the numbers that say "16" or "21", etc he made those on his own as a scientific experiment to combine ALL of the rankings together. There is NOTHING scientific about his chart, it would be the same as you, me, or anyone here doing the chart.

41Latitude - The Most Important Cities in the United States (http://www.41latitude.com/post/400972984/most-important-cities-united-states - broken link)

That chart is outdated as he explained in each of his paragraphs. The FP ranking was for 2008 and if you look at the chart you posted under "FP" Philly, Houston, Dallas, etc were not ranked because they werent on the list in 2008. Atlanta scored high that year but the most recent ranking from FP was released last year and Atlanta was dead last of all American cities.

This is what Justin O'Beirne the creator of the chart you have posted 37 times in your history has to say about "FP" rankings.
"In 2008, the bimonthly American news magazine Foreign Policy, in collaboration with A.T. Kearney and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, released their own ranking of world cities called the “Global Cities Index."

Here are the latest FP rankings as of 2010 (Appreciate the info 18Montclair)

2010 Ranking
1 New York
2 London
3 Tokyo
4 Paris
5 Hong Kong
6 Chicago
7 Los Angeles
8 Singapore
9 Sydney
10 Seoul
11 Brussels
12 San Francisco
13 Washington DC
14 Toronto
15 Beijing
16 Berlin
17 Madrid
18 Vienna
19 Boston
20-tie Frankfurt
20-tie Shanghai
22 Buenos Aires
23 Stockholm
24 Zurich
25 Moscow
26 Barcelona
27 Dubai
28 Rome
29 Amsterdam
30 Mexico City
31 Montreal
32 Geneva
33-tie Miami
33-tie Munich
35 Sao Paulo
36 Bangkok
37 Copenhagen
38 Houston
39 Taipei
40 Atlanta
41 Istanbul
42 Milan
43 Cairo
44 Dublin
45 New Delhi
46 Mumbai
47 Osaka
48 Kuala Lumpur
49 Rio de Janeiro
50 Tel Aviv

Global Cities 2010: The Rankings | Foreign Policy

Compare that to your chart now. See how Houston was included in 2010 for its first time debut in the ranking but on your chart under "FP" it is blank because Houston wasnt there for 2008 which is the year his chart is for. Atlanta ranks DEAD LAST in the pack of american cities in FP in 2010 when it did favorably in 2008.

Moving on to GaWC... LMAO this was their initial debut ranking, no one believes these people have any credibility to rank cities. Atlanta back in 2000 when it was a metro of 4.1 million people was ranked as an alpha world city. LMAO!!

They had Atlanta in the same tier as Barcelona, Mexico City, etc back in 2000 when it was a metro of 4.1 million... LMAO what credibility? Who actually believes this ranking is the best? Its laughable...

Brookings, Taylor, GaWC all rank every 4 years. GaWC's next release will be in 2012, Brookings in 2012, Taylor in 2012. Mastercard releases once every 2 years so have to wait until next year and Foreign Policy "FP" releases every year.

What I find humorous is when you go around posting that chart like a talented analyst with a PhD from a reputable university made that chart when in reality it was some average civilian who was just curious to see how he would rank every city in importance. Read it before posting it. 41Latitude - The Most Important Cities in the United States (http://www.41latitude.com/post/400972984/most-important-cities-united-states - broken link)

Having said all this, I'll log in later in the day to find my post quoted by afonega, johnatl, and waronxmas this is what each of their posts will look like;

johnatl: "This is wishful thinking like all the other bile you spew out of your hatred for Atlanta"

waronxmas: "You cant accept that the rankings have Atlanta at a respectable position in importance... your just going about your agenda"

afonega1: "Wow so your.telling me the chart is fake?Your just angry Atlanta ranks highly,it ranks higher than PhIlly,HOuston,Dallas,even MiAmi. Its just hard for youto accept Atlanta is the birthplace of MLK, most recognizable brand name coke, busiest airport in the world, home to CDC and TedTurner,TNT,CNN, etc how can you say Atlanta is not as important as peerslike PhIlly,HOuston,MIAmi,DAlklas?"

My response to each of you fellows is not of hate, but your outrageous claims. Do you see the above? I know what youll say before I even make a response post and in the same manner grammatically how you will post as well. NO afonega, the chart you go around posting (probably have it saved as desktop background pic) is not a scientific study. It was put together by someone who created a site to fuel their curiosity for what the most important cities are in the U.S, its no more factual then any thread here on CD which asks "what is the most important city" and every poster has a different list than the others but with NYC on top... those numbers you see with "25", "11" etc on his chart are his own personal number rankings for what he feels the credit those independent studies portray to the best of his knowledge.

I've presented the facts, now I will be quoted by 4-5 Atlantans (always am) who will take their frustration with the facts and opinions on my post with hoodlum level responses and most likely afonega again posting the chart because he doesnt understand what a ****ing joke it is that a common person created it, to him Atlanta ranked high and its all the facts he needs to continue posting it. We shall see in 2012 if Atlanta keeps a high rank on GaWC, probably will as GaWC is conducted by amateurs.. but its clear from FP and a slew of other rankings that in 2008 when the global economy was stable Atlanta was viewed fairly and has since been replaced by many other cities.

I am done posting replies to you 2 Atlantans -afonega waronxmas, quote me and say what you want, take a few swings at both my post, intelligence, and my info if you want IDC. I have a life, a job, and expecting my first child in the next few weeks so I dont have time for you Atlantans nor to sit here and justify why your all in over your heads. Have a blast

Last edited by Infamous Past; 05-13-2011 at 05:21 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 AM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Lets get down and dirty let me see where NYC falls at the bottom of the barrell

NYC It is a place of dreams while it is also a place of nightmares. It is a city where powerful architecture shoots up alongside run-down and decrepit buildings. It is also a city of millions of people cramped in a small space. So there is plenty to love and plenty to hate.New York is potholes and barred windows. New York is a crabby Indian or dominican at your local bodega. New York is rotten smells from the subway, ornery guys in suits who work “in finance,” cars honking, sirens blaring, and people walking so fast they get arthritis in their knees when they’re not even thirty.

Too many ignorant people. They act like they don’t see you. They push you on the train, they’re always in a big rush as if they’re on their way to save the world and they only have one minute to do it.

Pollution. Trash is everywhere because a lot of people are pigs. So many people don’t recycle like they should. There are millions of cars on the streets making the air a mess of smoke and fumes and disgusting smells. And have you ever been around the Hudson River? Ewwww.

In no other city I’ve ever visited have I ever accidentally stepped into raw sewage. For a city that requires so much walking, it’s impressive to see all of the litter and trash on the streets. On one hand it’s difficult to imagine how much work has to go into sanitation in a city of that size, on the other hand, you’d think that it could be handled promptly and not cause the streets to smell.

Cramped living spaces and sky-rocketing rents. I know I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I pa less money for my house . Than my best friend pays for his basement apt., So many people, so much congestion, so much anxiety and pressure living in a city driven by the need to succeed and the desire for recognition.

The Subway is A haven to the homeless, rats and roaches, mysterious liquids cascading off the platform in fetid waterfalls and swirling onto the tracks below, people eating weird, smelly foods out of white Styrofoam boxes.

New York is the city version of the obstreperous neighbor who always has to advertise the new crap he’s bought to the entire vicinity. Like him, everything NY has is always ‘The Best’: the best food, the best nightlife, the best people. But we all really know that being a loudmouth is a sign of insecurity.Everyone in NY is a writer.’ While people come to NY to be unique and express their individuality, they inevitably finish up at the end of a line of thousands who came here before them to do the exact same thing. If you want to be an unemployed actor waiting on tables, NY welcomes you with open arms. Remember this: NY doesn’t love you. Hate New York before it hates on you.

In NYC there are more more rats than pedestrians.

Ill finish the rest of the cities that supposedly supposed to be soooo great and so desirable and has no flaws
I dont agree with this obviously but am competent enough to admit biases for where I live, its not worth arguing over since I cant relate to your experience.

I will take your word for it, if this is the experience you personally have had in NYC as well as close relatives and friends then who am I to say youre wrong? I can accept criticism for my city, its not for everyone and thats obvious... but learn to take criticism for your city. If you can handle it then I respect you but if you come out saying hoodlum outrageous things like some of your peer Alantans then expect others to argue back.

For all the supposed bile and hatred that Atlantans claim I have for their city I have yet to post crime stats, your hoodlum culture in bankhead, how pathetic your Koreatowns and Chinatowns look strip malls, your citys weak and sluggish economy, the average income of the average MARTA rider, the poverty rate of all downtown residents, the poverty rate of Atlanta, and the weakness of your citys economy by size and power as compared at least 8 other cities. I tell it like it is, if you want to for my city off what you have personally experienced then be my guest, I was educated to understand that what another man says about his experience is his opinion that same lack of education that I see from droves of your fellow posters who charge at the first person to criticize Atlanta.

I will tell you this I have always felt from the day I first saw Atlanta. Every city has its flaws and drawbacks, no question about it but Atlanta has more than any other city I have stepped foot in with the notable exception for Orlando which is even worse IMO. When posters criticize your city, realize that they might not be lying but are in fact stating the truth of what they encountered there.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
I dont agree with this obviously but am competent enough to admit biases for where I live, its not worth arguing over since I cant relate to your experience.

I will take your word for it, if this is the experience you personally have had in NYC as well as close relatives and friends then who am I to say youre wrong? I can accept criticism for my city, its not for everyone and thats obvious... but learn to take criticism for your city. If you can handle it then I respect you but if you come out saying hoodlum outrageous things like some of your peer Alantans then expect others to argue back.

For all the supposed bile and hatred that Atlantans claim I have for their city I have yet to post crime stats, your hoodlum culture in bankhead, how pathetic your Koreatowns and Chinatowns look strip malls, your citys weak and sluggish economy, the average income of the average MARTA rider, the poverty rate of all downtown residents, the poverty rate of Atlanta, and the weakness of your citys economy by size and power as compared at least 8 other cities. I tell it like it is, if you want to for my city off what you have personally experienced then be my guest, I was educated to understand that what another man says about his experience is his opinion that same lack of education that I see from droves of your fellow posters who charge at the first person to criticize Atlanta.

I will tell you this I have always felt from the day I first saw Atlanta. Every city has its flaws and drawbacks, no question about it but Atlanta has more than any other city I have stepped foot in with the notable exception for Orlando which is even worse IMO. When posters criticize your city, realize that they might not be lying but are in fact stating the truth of what they encountered there.
I'm not an Atlanta booster but dude, it's really not that serious. Spend less time here and more time with the mother of your child. I mean really. Atlanta is just a city, one of hundreds in America. Find another hobby. Really.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
stop basing the answer to this question off of lists. That proves nothing. Tourism rates are the only helpful piece of information, how high the city ranks on the world scale is mostly irrelevant in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City