Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 PM

39 posts, read 53,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullocity View Post
Can we please close this thread?! Between flotard, paradoxical and midwest1 's stupidity this thread is not worth even having open anymore. It's literally a bunch of 12 year old boys arguing now.
What's wrong with stating it how you see it. Does everything have to be layered in a child proof flame retardant politically correct veil? I think Chicago is a cesspool so what of it. Is what I say factually wrong in any way. Is Chicago not a hotbed of corruption and criminal activity? Does it not have a reputation that's a 100+ years old for this sort of degenerate activity?

Chicago is a Randian nightmare city. It's a place where the well heeled and corrupt high society trod roughshod over everyone in their path. If it existed as its own country it would be right up there with Argentina in nations run as kleptocracy.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
However, the sheer amount of blind boosterism from each side of the argument is just ludicrous, including several hypocritical and/or bigoted replies that have consumed a large amount of this thread. And the people who leak out of the woodwork who have either 1) never lived in one of the cities or 2) spent considerable amounts of time outside of their own little bubble in either city aren't what I'd call credible or informed posters (and their reputation clearly indicates so). I'm not sure this thread is worth the internet space it occupies...
A lot of posters, including myself, either live in NYC, the NYC area, or have visited it multiple times. I can speak almost as well for NYC as an actual lifelong resident. Leave it to a resident to know more, sure, but you could easily ask an NYC area person who visit the city often next. I think there have been plenty of balanced posts and limited homerism from some 'boosters'.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
I say Chicago because of the cost of living.

I like that I can pay 1100 a month for a 2 bedroom in a nice area in the city.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 PM

399 posts, read 882,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
What if my neighborhood has 20 bars or a 100? How about 100 restaurants? This is NYC not buffalo or Des Moines... There are nycs suburbs that have more than this. See Hoboken. Admit it: You have never been to NYC, have you? Lol

Lol. I don't know of any jobs in NYC that pay less than in Chicago. I know doormen in NYC who are making 80-100k a year. Lol

NYC and Chicago teachers make roughly the same salary.

You tell me which city it goes further in.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
And I think we're kind of done with you.

Oh.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
despite chicago's problems, i wouldnt bring up QOL and crime when tryin to defend nyc tho //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...shot-head.html
besides, nyc crime stats have notoriously been skewed by the nypd

But Chicago.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Please delete my access to this site. I think it's deteriorating, by allowing some of these new member bashers to do just that, bash. It's clear they are only on this site to bash Chicago, and I've never seen any of their nasty comments come under scrutiny from the moderators. I'm done, but I hope moderators will try to run a better site for those who chose to stay.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I've been at that point for a while now.
He almost had a legitimate argument at first and THEN his true intent was unveiled.

Why? for living the NYC (Flatbush, Bk) life for a few years and then moving on?

Im still in NYS, and visit the city frequently as virtually everyone I grew up with is in either the city or Boston.

An extremely small percentage plan on staying. The rest are with me. They cant foresee themselves lasting very long once they hit their 30s.

Brooklyn is getting more expensive, which is where most of them live. After awhile, you want things for yourself. I have a brother in Honolulu. Been there 12 years. He plans on leaving soon. Why? The cost. He wants things. Its not a foreign concept.

This isnt anti-NYC BS. Im a damn NY sports fan and visit as much as I can. However, what its become, im not a fan of. See things for what they are, youll be better off for it. The working class made NYC, and now its increasingly a city for the 1%.

I can watch the ****ing Rangers on tv.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh I'm not crying, I'm laughing that someone is trying to claim that too many options in a city is a bad thing and you're better off living in a smaller city with overall less going on. This person clearly has issues with NYC and that's fine, not everybody is going to like it, but let's not make things up now.

Seemingly everything has gone completely over your head, but you cant expect much from the internet.

There are no issues. Its a matter of practicality. That word thats been used about 8 times now. Its not about rural vs city, or Frog Balls, AR vs Brooklyn, NY, its about what is practical means of living. Its not about extremes.

You have access to much more of other cities than NYC on a middle class salary. Thats the prevailing point. I can experience 80-90% of Chicago with a middle class salary, and about 20% of NYC. On a regular basis, forget about it. Thats what I call bang for your buck, and before you cast off Chicago as a third world city, spare me.

For the record, ive also lived in Jersey as well, and went to college there, so I dont need a sermon on Jersey's greatness either, just in case.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think this mystery person who lives in a small place in NYC and only talks about it yet never does anything is only in theory. At best, that person eventually moves. But I have never known anybody who is in a major city to never go out in say NYC, yet suddenly move to more affordable Chicago, Boston, Philly etc and suddenly be going out all the time... and vice versa. Meaning even if they DID move from NYC, to say, Philly, or even Denver, they aren't all of a sudden going to be having this fabulous lifestyle. If you live in Long Island and stay in Long Island, and never venture into the city, yeah... a move might help. But they aren't goin to be movin to a *city* somewhere else either and enjoying it, they usually move to like suburban Denver or Atlanta or something. And other than these weird "theoretical" people who move to NYC and struggle, I think more often than not, those with the means to relocate to NYC often do b/c they feel stilted in their career in whatever city they currently are and need to make a jump, or are offered a job in NYC.

You may have a career in armchair psych. Not sure they pay as much as city data however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City