Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 11:52 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times

Advertisements

I found this on poverty rates. Data's from 2010-2011.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/acsbr11-01.pdf

NJ and CT have very low poverty rates. That link actually has some interesting tables, graphs, and maps.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 PM

555 posts, read 591,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Source? That sounds unlikely.

Not sure why that's a positive; assuming it's true, it's because the industry collapsed there. It used to be the largest industrial city in the country, if not the world.
Are you really looking to see smokestacks around NYC? Every big city was once filled with them, London, Paris, New York. Eventually however people try to protect residential areas from industrial pollution.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Chicagoans all make up lies about their area.
Or that somehow the sand dunes that are located on Earth are a vast and different landscape so foreign and unknown to you that they look like they are from another world...
Or that you know the whole population of the planet so well that nobody, NOBODY else could prefer Lake Michigan to the Atlantic Ocean

These are all absurd claims, frankly.
For crying out loud, those are supposed to be examples of my absurd claims??? Lol

Do I doubt there are people who prefer Lake Michigan to Atlantic coast ? Of course not, there are people who prefer onions to oranges, that doesn't change the fact that the Atlantic coast all the way from Martha's Vineyard to the Florida Keys is one big tourism oriented machine while there is nothing remotely similar located on Lake Michigan shore. Doesn't it tell you anything about general preference in the nation and world wide? My absurd claims. Lol I stand corrected, sir. Lol.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM

517 posts, read 677,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Source? That sounds unlikely.

Not sure why that's a positive; assuming it's true, it's because the industry collapsed there. It used to be the largest industrial city in the country, if not the world.
NY State, NJ and CT all have poverty rates below the national average, so it stands to reason that a metro area encompassing the majority of all three states would have a poverty rate well below the national average.

I never said that the low level of industrialization was a positive (or a negative, for that matter); the point is that the region isn't particularly industrialized.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM

517 posts, read 677,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
The average metro poverty rate is 14.1%.

NYC is 13.8%.
Well that's not even what I wrote. I wrote that the NYC region had below-average poverty (which it does) and yet you claimed the opposite.

And your source doesn't show CSA, and doesn't show comparisons to national rates of poverty (compares to MSAs only), yet even here, using your chosen methdology, NYC has lower than average poverty.

So what are you even posting? You're trying to disprove your own argument? Your claim was that Northern NJ has tons of slum areas, yet Northern NJ is the wealthiest section of the second wealthiest state, and in the third wealthiest CSA.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
NY State, NJ and CT all have poverty rates below the national average, so it stands to reason that a metro area encompassing the majority of all three states would have a poverty rate well below the national average.

I never said that the low level of industrialization was a positive (or a negative, for that matter); the point is that the region isn't particularly industrialized.
Yup, according to my link, for the 2010-2011 period the US average poverty rate was 15.9. NJ came in at 10.4 and CT came in at 10.9, both in 2011. New York came in at 16.0, just .1 above the national average.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Well that's not even what I wrote. I wrote that the NYC region had below-average poverty (which it does) and yet you claimed the opposite.
you wrote well below average, it's not. It's roughly average.

Quote:
And your source doesn't show CSA, and doesn't show comparisons to national rates of poverty (compares to MSAs only), yet even here, using your chosen methdology, NYC has lower than average poverty.
What's wrong with MSAs? CSAs overly broadly, IMO.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yup, according to my link, for the 2010-2011 period the US average poverty rate was 15.9. NJ came in at 10.4 and CT came in at 10.9, both in 2011. New York came in at 16.0, just .1 above the national average.
The problem with the that is the parts of states with higher poverty are mostly within the NYC metro. CT is not part of the MSA.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM

399 posts, read 882,284 times
Quote:

So what are you even posting? You're trying to disprove your own argument? Your claim was that Northern NJ has tons of slum areas, yet Northern NJ is the wealthiest section of the second wealthiest state, and in the third wealthiest CSA.

Oh, we're backtracking now? Alright then.

Not sure whats wrong with MSAs as CSAs paint way too broad a picture. We want the picture to be as concentrated as possible if we're tracking these.

The wealth of the state of New Jersey is largely the result of being the offshoot of NYC and Philadelphia.

Nice suburbs, but the infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired for such a wealthy state. Dont get me started politically. North Jersey is mostly a concrete mess with quaint town here and decay there, factories, mill and industry. Not to mention the overbearing density and 4 seasons. Its a mess.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
Nice suburbs, but the infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired for such a wealthy state. Dont get me started politically. North Jersey is mostly a concrete mess with quaint town here and decay there, factories, mill and industry. Not to mention the overbearing density and 4 seasons. Its a mess.
Very affluent mess. Many many states, including Illinois would like to be suc a mess. And how NJ infrastructure
Leaves a lot to be desired? What exactly? Some of the best school systems in the nation? Again, you post nonsense following nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City