Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 09:27 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times

Advertisements

Phoenix really is a city on its own, you're best off comparing El Paso to Tucson. Tucson and Phoenix, as any Arizonan will tell you, have a ton of differences and I'd imagine El Paso being closer to Tucson. Dallas and Phoenix are two cities that get compared very often on C-D for one reason or another, so I question how much those two metros share differences. It appears someone who would be drawn to living in Phoenix would also be drawn to living in Dallas. This suggests that the people living in either city would be more similar than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 11:15 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Phoenix really is a city on its own, you're best off comparing El Paso to Tucson. Tucson and Phoenix, as any Arizonan will tell you, have a ton of differences and I'd imagine El Paso being closer to Tucson. Dallas and Phoenix are two cities that get compared very often on C-D for one reason or another, so I question how much those two metros share differences. It appears someone who would be drawn to living in Phoenix would also be drawn to living in Dallas. This suggests that the people living in either city would be more similar than not.
Dallas and Phoenix are NOTHING alike. Not culturally, economically, or scenically. The only similarity they share is that they're both sprawling, auto-oriented, and in the Sunbelt. It's amusing to me how many people think the cities are similar. I think a lot of people think of Dallas as a "Southwestern" city as opposed to a Southern one (and Southwest Airlines is headquartered there), and think that its southwestern the same way Phoenix is. The two cities also tend to attract different kinds of people too, especially due to economics.

As for this, my answer is Tucson

Last edited by biscuit_head; 05-06-2017 at 11:35 PM..

Old 05-07-2017, 12:43 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Dallas and Phoenix are NOTHING alike. Not culturally, economically, or scenically. The only similarity they share is that they're both sprawling, auto-oriented, and in the Sunbelt. It's amusing to me how many people think the cities are similar. I think a lot of people think of Dallas as a "Southwestern" city as opposed to a Southern one (and Southwest Airlines is headquartered there), and think that its southwestern the same way Phoenix is. The two cities also tend to attract different kinds of people too, especially due to economics.

As for this, my answer is Tucson
Dallas and Phoenix are constantly being compared. Dallas is not Southwestern, believe me I am one of those Southwestern "purists" and I'll tell you right now Phoenix isn't one either. But that's for another thread.

But there's a reason these two are constantly being compared to each other by people looking for a relocation and that obviously means the two share enough similarities for people of certain interests, backgrounds, desires, to consider these two places as options. I am starting to think you know nothing about these two cities at all and you're just talking nonsense. It's not like people who consider living in El Paso also look at Manhattan, you know? People formulate a list of places they'd think they would consider moving to based on certain criteria and then narrow it down. More often than not, if someone lists Dallas.... Phoenix also pops up on the list. And vice versa. That means they are obviously similar ENOUGH for them to be compared for relocations on an almost daily basis.

Now tell me how much you really know about Arizona and Texas because you clearly know a lot about it, more than someone who was born and raised in Arizona.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Dallas and Phoenix are constantly being compared. Dallas is not Southwestern, believe me I am one of those Southwestern "purists" and I'll tell you right now Phoenix isn't one either. But that's for another thread.

But there's a reason these two are constantly being compared to each other by people looking for a relocation and that obviously means the two share enough similarities for people of certain interests, backgrounds, desires, to consider these two places as options. I am starting to think you know nothing about these two cities at all and you're just talking nonsense. It's not like people who consider living in El Paso also look at Manhattan, you know? People formulate a list of places they'd think they would consider moving to based on certain criteria and then narrow it down. More often than not, if someone lists Dallas.... Phoenix also pops up on the list. And vice versa. That means they are obviously similar ENOUGH for them to be compared for relocations on an almost daily basis.

Now tell me how much you really know about Arizona and Texas because you clearly know a lot about it, more than someone who was born and raised in Arizona.
There's no need for you to be so condescending and rude. I was simply stating that Dallas and Phoenix really aren't that comparable. And while you're telling me I'm talking 'nonsense,' what evidence do you have that people list Dallas and Phoenix on the same lists for consideration? And no, anecdotes or messages from clueless people on City-Data do not count. Besides, most of the people who compare the two on C-D are often quickly told how different the cities are. And I've been to both Dallas-Ft. Worth and Phoenix enough times over the past few decades to know the two metro are lot more different than alike, and really aren't that comparable, regardless of how many so-called "lists" you claim people have.

For one, the DFW area has far more F500 Companies headquartered there (at least 25), far more company headquarters overall, and has a far higher GDP (over $500 Billion in DFW vs. $215 Billion in Phoenix) than the Phoenix area. Phoenix is no slouch and has rebounded from the recession. However, it's economy is not as diverse as the DFW area, and people tend to relocate to Phoenix for the scenery, outdoor activities, weather, and lifestyle that you cannot get in Dallas-Fort Worth's prairie-and tornado-prone setting (Phoenix is in a far more beautiful natural setting than the DFW area overall). People tend to move to Dallas-Ft. Worth to advance their careers with the opportunities there and take advantage of the business-friendly climate of Texas, and enjoy the amenities of a large metro area without the costs of the coastal cities. More likely than not, people don't move to DFW for the scenery, outdoor activities or weather as people do when considering Phoenix. That's the biggest difference as to why I said the cities aren't easily comparable because most people who relocate to those cities have different needs and wants.

And learn to respond to someone like you have some sense and tact instead of being combative and rude for no reason.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:32 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
There's no need for you to be so condescending and rude. I was simply stating that Dallas and Phoenix really aren't that comparable. And while you're telling me I'm talking 'nonsense,' what evidence do you have that people list Dallas and Phoenix on the same lists for consideration? And no, anecdotes or messages from clueless people on City-Data do not count. Besides, most of the people who compare the two on C-D are often quickly told how different the cities are. And I've been to both Dallas-Ft. Worth and Phoenix enough times over the past few decades to know the two metro are lot more different than alike, and really aren't that comparable, regardless of how many so-called "lists" you claim people have.

For one, the DFW area has far more F500 Companies headquartered there (at least 25), far more company headquarters overall, and has a far higher GDP (over $500 Billion in DFW vs. $215 Billion in Phoenix) than the Phoenix area. Phoenix is no slouch and has rebounded from the recession. However, it's economy is not as diverse as the DFW area, and people tend to relocate to Phoenix for the scenery, outdoor activities, weather, and lifestyle that you cannot get in Dallas-Fort Worth's prairie-and tornado-prone setting (Phoenix is in a far more beautiful natural setting than the DFW area overall). People tend to move to Dallas-Ft. Worth to advance their careers with the opportunities there and take advantage of the business-friendly climate of Texas, and enjoy the amenities of a large metro area without the costs of the coastal cities. More likely than not, people don't move to DFW for the scenery, outdoor activities or weather as people do when considering Phoenix. That's the biggest difference as to why I said the cities aren't easily comparable because most people who relocate to those cities have different needs and wants.

And learn to respond to someone like you have some sense and tact instead of being combative and rude for no reason.
He made it clear that Dallas and PHX aren't similar, but fit similar criteria to those looking to relocate.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
Aside from the listed outdoor activities (and do people really move to Phoenix for its weather?), what lifestyle does Phoenix have which is unavailable in DFW?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:20 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Aside from the listed outdoor activities (and do people really move to Phoenix for its weather?), what lifestyle does Phoenix have which is unavailable in DFW?
Theyre offer similar nightlife, etc, but the reason I'm picking PHX as the winner is because it has all that Dallas does, but w/o the crappy weather and with the added bonus of being in the middle of several mountain ranges, and close to varying topography and weather. A 1.5 hour drive puts you into pine forests with temps 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Cant do that in Dallas.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Lots of people move to Phoenix due to the weather. It might be hot as hell for 3-4 months of the year, but you don't have to shovel heat. Why do you think so many Midwesterners move there?

I really don't understand why so many Dallas posters get really sensitive about the fact that a lot of people do move to cities for their scenery, weather and availability of outdoor recreation just because Dallas really doesn't have much to offer in that department. I'd say that Dallas has more to offer than Phoenix from an urban and economic standpoint though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
He made it clear that Dallas and PHX aren't similar, but fit similar criteria to those looking to relocate.
And all I'm saying is that lot of people who make those comparisons on here do so merely because they're both considered major metropolitan areas in the Southwest, but Dallas is not a Southwestern city and doesn't attract the same type of people once you factor in their economies and lifestyle they offer and how different they are from each other for those very reasons. Most of the Dallas vs. Phoenix threads here are often filled with most of the posters describing how the two cities couldn't be more different and aren't a really good comparison.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 05-08-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 03:28 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
Quote:
I question the whole weather thing too. It depends on what part of the country you're moving from. Phoenix does have the con of being too hot for too long.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 6,593 times
I would compare El Paso to Albuquerque more so than Phoenix. A little big city that is heavily influenced by a Mexican culture. El Paso resembles more of the San Antonio cultural influence if you would compare it to a Texas city. The hispanic population in San Antonio is much more Tex-Mex or Tejano however, meaning a Mexican culture that has assimilated with the white Texan culture and vise-versa in terms of style, food, accents and music. Whereas El Paso has stuck with a much more traditional Mexican culture due to their geographic proximity to the country itself. Although El Paso is not quite like Phoenix, it is definitely more closely related to that than Dallas. Not to mention, it is closer to Phoenix than it is to Dallas. Dallas has a mix of Southern, Midwest, and hispanic cultures while El Paso is strictly hispanic and Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City