Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better (all aspects)?
Houston 38 29.23%
Philadelphia 92 70.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:40 AM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'll actually be passing through both in a few weeks when I go to America for the first time, so I'm treating my opinion as just an uneducated opinion and not making any conclusions, of course. But Philly seems to have way more of what I value from what I've read/seen (architecture, historic neighbourhoods, culture, quaint cobblestone lanes.etc). Houston the other hand seems just a pretty empty downtown for a city of 5 million (Sydney's downtown would blow Houston's away, judging from google maps) and the skyline is TOO futuristic for my tastes. Something like 1-2% of people take public transport which is pretty poor by any standards.
Trimac,

I agree, comparing downtown Houston to downtown Sydney is not even a comparison. Sydney has one of the most vibrant downtowns that I've been to. With that beeing said, be sure you visit some of the charming parts of downtown Houston-

The Historic District- Main Street, Allen's Landing, and the renovated Market Square

Discovery Green- look to see if there are any activities going on at the park during your stay. This is a great urban park downtown and is very popular. The whole area , park, buildings, sports stadiums, etc. didn't even exist 12 years ago so its quite impressive.

Most of downtown is pedestal skyscrapers with retail hidden underground so it has a very differnt feel than say, George Street. The city is working very HARD to change this so we are headed in the right direction.

From downtown- hop on the light rail and head south along Main (yes we have transit and 5-6 more lines are under construction) and walk around the Museum District/ Hermann Park area

The museums are pretty solid if you like that. Hermann Park is our Central Park or Royal Botanical Garden. It is located in between the Med Center and Museum District. It is very large and very popular. Hermann Park has everything from a urban spaces for city festivals, to a lake with paddle boats, to Japanese Garden, to a Zoo, an outdoor amphitheater, and even a Golf Course.

Be sure to take a picture in front of the Sam Houston Statue at Heramnn Park.

Houston has plenty of charming areas, they just don't pop out at you like in other cities. Other areas to check out include;

-Uptown
-River Oaks, Upper Kirby
-Memorial Park
-Houston Heights
-Washington Avenue and Midtown
-Montrose, Lower Westheimer
-Rice University, etc.

Let me know if you need any tips with your visit, I'd be happy to help

Last edited by H'ton; 05-21-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-21-2011, 11:45 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Philly on the strength of Center City alone. One of the best and most enjoyable urban areas in the country, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Philadelphia. But then, I'm quite a history fanatic. :-)

Old 05-21-2011, 12:03 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Philadelphia. But then, I'm quite a history fanatic. :-)
If you are a history fanatic then you'd be happy to know that Houston is one of two cities in the United States that was created to be the capital of a nation.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:26 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Philly.

One thing I like about Houston is that there is so much potential for the fast-growing city, and it's fun to be a part of that growth and dream of what the city can become. But Philly is one of the most interesting places in the country, and I prefer the climate, personally.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:31 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
says the person from Atlanta

you should not throw stones if you live in a glass house.

Atlanta is more sprawled than Houston.

ATL in 1700sq miles 3.5M
Houston in 1700sq miles is 4.2M

really people sound like idiots talking so strongly about a place that they have never been comes across as idiots.

Try to visit first, then you will have cred to speak on the subject.
Htown, unlike you, I don't have some strange fetish that blinds me to the realities of the city I live in. Yes, it would be an insult to compare Philadelphia to Atlanta too... Atlanta is a place a lot like Houston -- more of a suburbs+ than a city, city. Look at the results of thes polls, H. The polls don't lie. It's not even close ... Philadelphia (of course!).

Old 05-21-2011, 12:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Htown, unlike you, I don't have some strange fetish that blinds me to the realities of the city I live in. Yes, it would be an insult to compare Philadelphia to Atlanta too... Atlanta is a place a lot like Houston -- more of a suburbs+ than a city, city. Look at the results of thes polls, H. The polls don't lie. It's not even close ... Philadelphia (of course!).
Yes because CD participants speaks for the world.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Seriously. Was about to bring this up as well unless he has the same opinion of Atlanta.
Yes, I do. And I think Atlanta is a decent place to live and play, btw... and I'm sure Houston is too. The title of the thread though wasn't Atlanta vs. Philadelphia though. If it were, I'd say the thread was about 50 years premature ... come back in a half a century and Atlanta may be ready to take on Philadelphia. The same goes for Houston.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Look at the results of thes polls, H. The polls don't lie.
LMAO.

If people didn't know you were delusional they know now.

What is scientific about an online poll? Lol, do you know how many people here have multiple accounts?

Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Yes because CD participants speaks for the world.
Ok, so you think if we could somehow conduct a scientific study on which city is preferable, Houton or Philadelphia, Houston would somehow do better than it's done in this poll? lol.... that's delusional. It's Philadelphia, period. Putting these two in a head to head match up is ridiculous.

And, by the way, and again, I'm not slamming Houston. I am well aware of the advantages of living in a up-and-coming metro with a low cost of living since I live in one myself. I think Houston embarrasses itself though by acting like it can compete with the older, established cities .. or that it somehow exists in a "big four" because it just so happens to have incorporated a freaking county's worth of territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City