Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 08:29 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times

Advertisements

Houston and Atlanta
Phoenix and San Antonio

Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
Charleston & Savannah are very much alike.

I'll go out on a limb and compare Jacksonville to Charlotte, but definitely not CLT to ATL!

A sad comparison is Canton & Youngstown, OH - both were once vibrant manufacturing hubs, but now both are rust belt to the core and have lost lots of population, and the remaining wealth in the metros resides out in the suburbs.

I'd also say Myrtle Beach & Daytona Beach are somewhat similar.

Also, Cincinnati & Pittsburgh have quite a few similarities.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:56 AM

82 posts, read 90,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Besides rowhouses, list them and educate me. This should be good.
For Philly and Baltimore:

Industrial heritage

Large African American population

Large Jewish population

Somewhat inferiority complex with NYC and DC

Historic charm

Cultural riches

Severe postwar decline, followed by recent steps at revitalization

Higher education (UPenn, Hopkins, etc.)

Good public transit

Good rail and road accessibility to NYC and DC

Similar climate

Popular public markets

Racial segregation by neighborhood

Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver111 View Post

Industrial heritage

Large Jewish population

Historic charm

Cultural riches

Good public transit

Similar climate

Popular public markets

Agree plus share some some traits no so good

I like Baltimore, though Philly and Baltimore are not the same they really do share some similar bones and development style

Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:

Industrial heritage

Large Jewish population

Historic charm

Cultural riches

Good public transit

Similar climate

Popular public markets

In all honesty, Baltimore has more in common with Saint Louis and Cleveland than Philly. However there are undoubtedly similarities between Baltimore and Philly but mostly its only aesthetically (row homes) imo. Philly has a large number of Italians, Russians, Ukrainians, Jamaicans, Puerto ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans and large Asian population that Baltimore lacks. Oh by the way I laugh at some of your "similarities" especially the "inferiority complex" point which is pure BS because Philly has no type of inferiority complex when it comes to those cities. Philly has more similarities with cities such as Boston and Jersey city (not as diverse as JC though) than Baltimore.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
In all honesty, Baltimore has more in common with Saint Louis and Cleveland than Philly. However there are undoubtedly similarities between Baltimore and Philly but mostly its only aesthetically (row homes) imo. Philly has a large number of Italians, Russians, Ukrainians, Jamaicans, Puerto ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans and large Asian population that Baltimore lacks. Oh by the way I laugh at some of your "similarities" especially the "inferiority complex" point which is pure BS because Philly has no type of inferiority complex when it comes to those cities. Philly has more similarities with cities such as Boston and Jersey city (not as diverse as JC though) than Baltimore.
Don't even waste your time, I asked for an explanation and didn't get one. Which is understandable, because outside of rowhomes there isn't one. Not in size, economy, schools, culturally anything.. Anybody?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 AM

82 posts, read 90,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I think I agree more than disagree with you.

But, I will add that I do think there is a "perceived" inferiority complex. I'm not saying it's 100% true, but I do think there's a sense that Baltimore is in DC's shadow and Philly is in NYC's shadow. Just saying.

And, you are correct that Philly has more Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Russians, etc., but that should be obvious. That's due to Philly's proximity to NYC. The two cities are very close, and the ethnic groups are usually coming from the NYC area.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:

But, I will add that I do think there is a "perceived" inferiority complex. I'm not saying it's 100% true, but I do think there's a sense that Baltimore is in DC's shadow and Philly is in NYC's shadow. Just saying.

And, you are correct that Philly has more Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Russians, etc., but that should be obvious. That's due to Philly's proximity to NYC. The two cities are very close, and the ethnic groups are usually coming from the NYC area.
New account, you are null and void.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Don't even waste your time, I asked for an explanation and didn't get one. Which is understandable, because outside of rowhomes there isn't one.

So seriously you see no similarities outside of rowhomes?

That is the glaring one but beyond that the building style, especially the old warehouses (I mean the Jack Frost Warehouses on the water in either could be just picked up and placed in either and no one would know the difference), similar churches throughout, remaining ethnic enclaves, their grit is most definately similar.

I am by no means saying they are exact and could elaborate on many aspects that are different but they most definately have many similar characteristics

Personally I Philly and Boston more similar but cant deny the similarities to Baltimore.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Actually this part is not true; most move directly to Philly among these groups. The top group migrating from NYC is caucasions actually. For the russians though not the numbers of NYC or LA there is advertisments for Russians to move to parts of the NE, Bucks and Montco in Russia - there is quite the presence these days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City