Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM

82 posts, read 90,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
New account, you are null and void.
Is there something specific I said you disagree with, or are you just trolling?

Are you claiming that there isn't a perceived inferiority complex? I am just pulling that out of thin air?

Are you claiming that Dominicans and Russians aren't often from NYC? Seriously?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually this part is not true; most move directly to Philly among these groups. The top group migrating from NYC is caucasions actually. For the russians though not the numbers of NYC or LA there is advertisments for Russians to move to parts of the NE, Bucks and Montco in Russia - there is quite the presence these days
I lived in Brooklyn for a year back in '05, and I remember all the real estate signs advertising "Cheap Philly Homes" in all the immigrant neighborhoods, so I have to disagree.

I remember the signs in Chinese, Spanish, and even Haitian Creole. They would always advertise investment properties in parts of Northeast Philly or wherever.

Immigrants looking to buy a home can't afford the 700k or whatever it takes in a good part of Brooklyn, so they sometimes look to the suburbs or to nearby cities. This is why (IMO) you see more Russians in Rhawnhurst or more West Indians in West Philly or whatever. I don't the Russians are coming directly from Odessa or wherever.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So seriously you see no similarities outside of rowhomes?

That is the glaring one but beyond that the building style, especially the old warehouses (I mean the Jack Frost Warehouses on the water in either could be just picked up and placed in either and no one would know the difference), similar churches throughout, remaining ethnic enclaves, their grit is most definately similar.

I am by no means saying they are exact and could elaborate on many aspects that are different but they most definately have many similar characteristics

Personally I Philly and Boston more similar but cant deny the similarities to Baltimore.
Kid, the long answer is no and the short answer is no.

Outside of rowhomes? nope, actually Baltimore looks like one big North Philly. However the entire city of Philly..nah. The vibe, the people, the culture, the diversity? Nope if you "switched" them I most certainly know I'm not in Northeast Philly anymore and that it would be time to move again...Maybe because this is coming from a New Yorker who only moved to Philly seven years ago and is in Baltimore often to see friends. I feel as though I have a pretty good feel for both.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver111 View Post
Is there something specific I said you disagree with, or are you just trolling?

Are you claiming that there isn't a perceived inferiority complex? I am just pulling that out of thin air?

Are you claiming that Dominicans and Russians aren't often from NYC? Seriously?
Troll, the mods are watchin.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Troll, the mods are watchin.
What exactly are you disagreeing with?

Please be clear, because you make no sense.

Are you saying there is no perception of an inferiority complex? None whatsoever?

Are you saying immigrants in Philly don't have ties to immigrants in NYC? For real?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:33 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Don't even waste your time, I asked for an explanation and didn't get one. Which is understandable, because outside of rowhomes there isn't one. Not in size, economy, schools, culturally anything.. Anybody?
WTH is with this guy?

Here are mine

Columbus - Indy
Cleveland - Pittsburgh
Cincinnati - St Louis
Providence - Hartford (not sure)
Denver - Salt Lake City
Los Angeles - Atlanta

Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM

418 posts, read 809,700 times
I've noticed northeast cities hate being linked to a city to the south of them

Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Don't even waste your time, I asked for an explanation and didn't get one. Which is understandable, because outside of rowhomes there isn't one. Not in size, economy, schools, culturally anything.. Anybody?
SGD - What's up? Although there are many differences, I do agree that Baltimore has more in common with Philly than just rowhomes. Yet, as KP stated, I still think Philly is more similar to Boston than to Baltimore. That said, I'm OK if you disagree since we're just sharing our opinions here.

For me, Baltimore actually has more in common with Norfolk than with Philly. For example:
- Each has ports on the Chesapeake which great influence their character and economy
- Each city has developed a tourist center at their harbor
- There is lots of bridge and tunnel infrastructure in each metro
- Although not as prevalent, Norfolk does have its share of row homes
- Demographics are somewhat similar:
Norfolk: 47.1% White, 43.1% African American, 6.6% Hispanic, 3.3% Asian
Baltimore: 33.1% White, 63.2% African American, 3% Hispanic, 2% Asian

I feel if Richmond and Norfolk had a love child, it would have grown up to be Baltimore.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:26 PM

312 posts, read 437,208 times
Never noticed anyone in Baltimore with an inferiority complex towards Washington. People in Baltimore are chill, they don't give a hell about Washington. It's called having a life, if your tangled thinking about a place you don't live in to mention it everyday, then you have serious issues and should consider moving.

By that aspect, I would say most people in Baltimore are just fine with what they have.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Never noticed anyone in Baltimore with an inferiority complex towards Washington. People in Baltimore are chill, they don't give a hell about Washington. It's called having a life, if your tangled thinking about a place you don't live in to mention it everyday, then you have serious issues and should consider moving.

By that aspect, I would say most people in Baltimore are just fine with what they have.
That is the case with Philadelphia as well. People from Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC are all fiercely proud of their respective cities. The only city that may have an inferiority complex on the East Coast is DC toward NYC but even then the cities are far enough from eachother that it is not noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City