Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for a big city vacation?
Bos 77 62.10%
DC 47 37.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times

Advertisements

DC offers a much faster pace than Boston plus many more areas to explore. DC's diversity also kills Boston. And Boston's nightlife is not on DC's level. A few posters commented that DT DC is 9 to 5. I was in Chinatown on Friday night partying until 3:00 am and I hopped on the train home. Doesn't sound like 9 to 5 to me. Plus DC has more people straddling thru its DT on any given day as well as a bunch of party areas like U street, H street, Adams Morgan, Penn Quarter, etc.. Boston can't match DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC offers a much faster pace than Boston plus many more areas to explore. DC's diversity also kills Boston. And Boston's nightlife is not on DC's level. A few posters commented that DT DC is 9 to 5. I was in Chinatown on Friday night partying until 3:00 am and I hopped on the train home. Doesn't sound like 9 to 5 to me. Plus DC has more people straddling thru its DT on any given day as well as a bunch of party areas like U street, H street, Adams Morgan, Penn Quarter, etc.. Boston can't match DC.

DC puts NYC to shame - only San Jose can come close to equaling DC these days

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-31-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 08:40 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
DC puts NYC to shame - only San Jose can close to equaling DC these days
This is about DC and Boston (cream of the crop)! If we are talking about poor east coast cities, then you should definitely respond.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boreatwork

Quote:
This is about DC and Boston (cream of the crop)! If we are talking about poor east coast cities, then you should definitely respond.

yikes

Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 AM

82 posts, read 90,307 times
This is a good question and the two cities are very close (IMO) but I would go with DC.

It's somewhat bigger, more cosmopolitan and more vibrant.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,182 times
Boston.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:46 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
DC offers a much faster pace than Boston
Could you explain how you came to this conclusion? Boston is often considered one of the most fast-paced cities in the country. When I've been to DC I've never thought of it as such...

Quote:
plus many more areas to explore.
Eh, that's definitely debatable. Boston has tons of interesting neighborhoods in and around the city.

Quote:
DC's diversity also kills Boston.
Yea from a metro standpoint it definitely does...however earlier in the thread a former DCer talked about how un-diverse central DC is and then a current DCer mentioned that they should go to Tyson's Corner in McLean, VA. Central Boston is very, very diverse though I'm not sure how it compares to DC overall.

I think the more important question is: as a tourist, why would you care about the comparative diversity of two cities?

Quote:
And Boston's nightlife is not on DC's level.
I haven't partied in DC enough to say whether or not it has an amazing nightlife, but from my limited time there the only difference I noticed was that bars stay open an hour later. I don't get why you always try to claim that DC has some insanely good nightlife. Boston's may not be great, but DC isn't exactly a superstar in this regard.

Quote:
A few posters commented that DT DC is 9 to 5.
I was one of those and yes, I believe parts of DT DC are 9-5, but not all.

Quote:
Plus DC has more people straddling thru its DT on any given day as well as a bunch of party areas like U street, H street, Adams Morgan, Penn Quarter, etc.. Boston can't match DC.
Yea overall there are more people in downtown DC (though Boston's DT is more packed), but how does that make a city more appealing to a tourist? In regards to the party areas, Boston has Faneuil Hall/North Station/down to Milk Street, the Theater District/Downtown Crossing/The Alley, Boylston Street, Broadway in Southie, Allston Village, Brookline Center, Harvard Square, and Brigham Circle, among others.

But again, you're just talking about partying. I would think a tourist wants to do more than get drunk and grind on some strange ass. Much like DC, Boston has one of the most beautiful urban cores in the nation. What makes Boston special and so easily walkable is the fact that a great deal of its gems lie adjacent to the Common & Garden. Think of it like the National Mall, but instead of Government Buildings and museums (which are all very nice BTW), unique neighborhoods lay on each side.

To the West you have beautiful Back Bay, Commonwealth Avenue & Newbury Street, which offer top-notch dining and shopping. The Comm Ave Mall is a beautiful park stretching from the Public Garden almost all the way to Mass Ave. Surrounding you is one of the most beautiful collections of late 1800s/early 1900s-era brownstones/row homes in the country. Most blocks have various memorial statues, etc.

To the East is the Financial District, one of the largest and most beautiful in the country. Packed with historic architecture and a chaotic street system, it's extremely unique and charming. It's not uncommon to have a small 1700s/1800s-era brick building directly next to a skyscraper.

To the North you have Beacon Hill, a very unique & historic neighborhood. Beacon Hill is very different in the sense that it's in the middle of a bustling city and very, very dense...but it's extremely quiet. The streets are all single-lane, so it prevents much thru traffic which contributes to its quiet setting. It sets the "Old World" mood perfectly along with the brick sidewalks, some cobblestone streets, and Colonial-era row homes and mansions.

To the East/Southeast/South is Downtown Crossing and the Theater District. DTX is a more gritty shopping district which has lost some of its luster recently (partially due to the stalled Filene's Project) but is still packed with people of all walks of life. It's a great example of intermingling of the 9-5 crowd, city kids, and students from Emerson and Suffolk.

Further Northeast, you have the North End which is among the most unique neighborhoods in the country. Thin streets, beautiful architecture and great restaurants characterize the neighborhood best...that and Italians. I'm not sure if they're straight off the boat, or if they were always taught to speak Italian, but most of the natives here will speak Italian to one another on the street. It's arguably the best Little Italy in the country.

If you're standing in the center of Boston Common, these neighborhoods are all within a 15-20 minute walk. So yea, Boston can easily compete with Washington DC in this regard.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-31-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest
DC offers a much faster pace than Boston
Could you explain how you came to this conclusion? Boston is often considered one of the most fast-paced cities in the country. When I've been to DC I've never thought of it as such...
I find the pace to be pretty similar. In the core, Boston's pace of life is a bit more, but the DC metro area has a faster pace overall than the Boston metro area. For a tourist who is going to stay within the city limits/CBD, Boston is probably the city that feels faster-paced.

Quote:
DC's diversity also kills Boston. Yea from a metro standpoint it definitely does...however earlier in the thread a former DCer talked about how un-diverse central DC is and then a current DCer mentioned that they should go to Tyson's Corner in McLean, VA. Central Boston is very, very diverse though I'm not sure how it compares to DC overall.
Both metro area's diversity is distributed VERY differently. The majority of the Boston metro's racially/ethnically diverse neighborhoods can be found within the city limits. Obviously, there are a lot of Brazilian/Portuguese/Cape Verdean people outside of Boston, particularly in Massachusetts' gateway cities. Within the city limits, DC only has a couple immigrant-laden neighborhoods and is otherwise largely an African American-WASP city. However, the DC suburbs are easily some of the most diverse and international in the country. Is there some spillover "feel" in diversity into the city limits? Certainly at times there is. However, Boston's city limits have lots of immigrants from all over.

Quote:
I think the more important question is: as a tourist, why would you care about the comparative diversity of two cities?
From certain tourists' standpoints, the diversity of a city can contribute hugely to the vibe/atmosphere in the streets. I can definitely understand tourists "looking" for diversity. I think the comparative diversity was brought up just to help the OP make a decision as to which city to visit, assuming (s)he doesn't have time to visit both.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
I find the pace to be pretty similar. In the core, Boston's pace of life is a bit more, but the DC metro area has a faster pace overall than the Boston metro area. For a tourist who is going to stay within the city limits/CBD, Boston is probably the city that feels faster-paced.
I could see that being true. I feel like Boston's urban core is a bit larger than that of DC, but DC tends to "keep going" a bit further outside the central core.

Quote:
Both metro area's diversity is distributed VERY differently. The majority of the Boston metro's racially/ethnically diverse neighborhoods can be found within the city limits. Obviously, there are a lot of Brazilian/Portuguese/Cape Verdean people outside of Boston, particularly in Massachusetts' gateway cities. Within the city limits, DC only has a couple immigrant-laden neighborhoods and is otherwise largely an African American-WASP city. However, the DC suburbs are easily some of the most diverse and international in the country. Is there some spillover "feel" in diversity into the city limits? Certainly at times there is. However, Boston's city limits have lots of immigrants from all over.
It seems like Boston & DC are sort of the inverse of one another in this regard.

Quote:
From certain tourists' standpoints, the diversity of a city can contribute hugely to the vibe/atmosphere in the streets. I can definitely understand tourists "looking" for diversity. I think the comparative diversity was brought up just to help the OP make a decision as to which city to visit, assuming (s)he doesn't have time to visit both.
Yea good point. Thanks for the well-balanced response.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:34 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
if you've already seen all the museums in wash then i think the answer to this question is Boston hands down. If however you are going to philadelphia as well, just in order to avoid extra driving i might suggest D.C. it's certainly a nice runner up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City