Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for a big city vacation?
Bos 77 62.10%
DC 47 37.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That is because most of the drivers and motorists in DC are not actually DC residents, many people in the District of Columbia don't drive, those are the Maryland and VA residents who may or may not know their way through the District who may drive so indecisively. The city was voted the most walkable city in America in 2009. And when the DC streetcars come back in 2013 it will seem even busier.
By who? I've never seen DC be recognized higher than #5 (here) for walkability. It's certainly a walkable city, but not like San Francisco, Boston, or New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Amafi Coast?

YouTube - ‪Positano Town Amalfi Dramatic Coast Italy World Wonder Travel Views South Europe by BK Bazhe.com‬‏

Old 06-07-2011, 09:39 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Can't go wrong with either one--I love visiting Boston. The only reason I give the edge to DC is that, if you're a first-time visitor, there's really something special about seeing the White House, Capitol, Lincoln Memorial and others in person--particularly at night. You just can't replicate that with another city.

But you could easily fill a week in each city and not run out of things to do. In Boston, I get a lot of jollies simply by strolling around Back Bay and Beacon Hill, and having a picnic in the Public Garden.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As a tourist, you should go to Boston, especially if you've already seen the Monuments.

Fenway > Nationals Park

Harvard > Georgetown + Every other school in the DC Metro^56

Newbury Street > M Street
Yes to #s 1 and 3, but what's #2 got to do with being a tourist? I don't think people really vacation in cities based upon what institutions of higher learning are located there.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 PM

330 posts, read 878,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Can't go wrong with either one--I love visiting Boston. The only reason I give the edge to DC is that, if you're a first-time visitor, there's really something special about seeing the White House, Capitol, Lincoln Memorial and others in person--particularly at night. You just can't replicate that with another city.

But you could easily fill a week in each city and not run out of things to do. In Boston, I get a lot of jollies simply by strolling around Back Bay and Beacon Hill, and having a picnic in the Public Garden.
Nice statement and absolutely true! Wish there were more city-data members like you that add value to reading city-data posts. Unlike a very few posters that don't look at the big picture and only look to boost their city without any pure consideration.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,609 times
1.) I love when people base how good nightlife is on how late people are up partying. By that metric, College Park MD destroys every other city in nightlife with it's two sub-par bars.

2.) I wish DC's population didn't increase by 78% during the day. It would be much better if it was a lot lower - in other words, a lot more people should be in the city at night, equalizing out that percentage.

3.) Metro is my favorite transit system in the country but it DOES NOT run late enough. This has been a problem sooooo many times. The freaking patco speedline in South Jersey is 24/7 and metro closes at 3 on weekends, it's a joke. It needs to change asap.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Patco in the wee hours leaving Philly

YouTube - ‪PATCO Train Confessions (An a*@rayis Documentary) [Philly/South NJ]‬‏

Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post

I agree DC is a fantastic place, but the OP said that he/she had already visited DC and had no interest in the monuments, etc.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree DC is a fantastic place, but the OP said that he/she had already visited DC and had no interest in the monuments, etc.

To be fair on this topic DC has some really cool areas just out of the typical monumnet tourist scene. That being said back to the original OP criteria Boston to me still gives a slightly more urban vibe; the only counter-point IMHO was they stated they were already visiting NYC (obviously an urban vibe) and Philly which is very close to the city feel you get in Boston so DC may offer a different perspective. Either way both would offer a good experience.

End of the day the NE in general has a very string of cities to explore and enjoy the American urban experinece

Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
By who? I've never seen DC be recognized higher than #5 (here) for walkability. It's certainly a walkable city, but not like San Francisco, Boston, or New York.
Im sorry that was in 2007 but nonetheless here...Boston came in 2nd followed by SF.

DC the Most 'Walkable' City - Brookings Institution puts capital first, then Boston and San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City