Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best state in the Deep South?
South Carolina 11 21.57%
Georgia 25 49.02%
Alabama 9 17.65%
Mississippi 6 11.76%
Louisiana 9 17.65%
(Eastern) Texas 7 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:52 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What North Florida cities have you been to? Jacksonville, Pensacola, and Tallahasee, are just as Southern as anything.
I'm mainly talking about the areas along the coast. It seems like there's a lot of transplants there. And all the tourists & snowbirds don't help either. That area doesn't feel nearly as Southern as most parts of MS or AL so I wouldn't call it the Deep South. Maybe the areas off the coast, but I haven't explored those areas. Some people seem to be saying that the whole Panhandle is very Southern. I think the coastal areas of the Panhandle have just as many transplants as areas in South Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
What do you mean? Metro Atlanta accounts for the bulk of the state's population, GDP, economic power, etc.
I think you interpreted my post wrong.. The previous poster said Atlanta is the state of Georiga pretty much other than Savannah... I don't think he/she knows Savannah doesn't rank second in the state in terms of population, GDP, and economic power.

It's probably due to the name recognition similar to the city of Charleston.. People forget Columbia is the largest MSA and Grennville has the largest CSA in South Carolina...

Old 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Lol @ the typical "is Florida really southern or not?" discussion. I can't count on both hands how many times I've seen this on this site.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I'm mainly talking about the areas along the coast. It seems like there's a lot of transplants there. And all the tourists & snowbirds don't help either. That area doesn't feel nearly as Southern as most parts of MS or AL so I wouldn't call it the Deep South. Maybe the areas off the coast, but I haven't explored those areas. Some people seem to be saying that the whole Panhandle is very Southern. I think the coastal areas of the Panhandle have just as many transplants as areas in South Florida
There are a lot of transplants along the coast, but it is extremely Southern still. Panama City is about as Southern as it gets. And the coastal areas of the Panhandle have nowhere near the amount of transplants as South Florida, and many of the transplants are Southern. I would venture the majority are, in fact. The only thing the Panhandle has in common with South Florida is that they happen to be in the same State. The comparisons pretty much end there. They may as well be different planets.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:23 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
There are a lot of transplants along the coast, but it is extremely Southern still. Panama City is about as Southern as it gets. And the coastal areas of the Panhandle have nowhere near the amount of transplants as South Florida, and many of the transplants are Southern. I would venture the majority are, in fact. The only thing the Panhandle has in common with South Florida is that they happen to be in the same State. The comparisons pretty much end there. They may as well be different planets.
It's all subjective I guess. To me, the coastal areas of the Panhandle don't feel very Southern. When I think of somewhere that's "as Southern as it gets" I think of the Delta in MS, not Panama City, Destin, or Seaside, Florida. Even towns in Northern TN feel a lot more Southern to me. And most of the people that I've known from those areas (especially from Pensacola, since I grew up in a military town) say that it's a lot more Southern & country up here.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
True, but Georgia not only has Atlanta, it also has Savannah, some nice coastal islands, and a handful of decent mid-sized cities.
Georgia has Atlanta and then several small cities/large towns. I in no way would consider Augusta and Savannah mid-sized. Atlanta really is the only game in the state.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Georgia has Atlanta and then several small cities/large towns. I in no way would consider Augusta and Savannah mid-sized. Atlanta really is the only game in the state.
What do you consider Durham, Winston Salem, and Greensboro??

Old 05-30-2011, 03:01 PM

316 posts, read 559,895 times
Definitely Georgia.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Augusta has a metropolitan area exceeding 550,000. I'd definitely say it's mid-sized.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
What do you consider Durham, Winston Salem, and Greensboro??
NC's not on the poll because it's not the Deep South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Augusta has a metropolitan area exceeding 550,000. I'd definitely say it's mid-sized.
I think around here, most people use "midsized" to refer to metro areas around the size of Charlotte, Nashville, Austin, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City