Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..........
Washington, D.C. 57 37.75%
Baltimore 15 9.93%
Atlanta 75 49.67%
Other 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:15 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,442,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Hmmmm! DC use to be the murder capital. If that's not cut throat then I don't know what is.
Atlanta used to be murder capital as well. But I think he was talking strictly about guys in the drug game. I can't imagine anyplace being more cut throat than Miami in the 80's. It was barbaric when it came to that. Georgia - Florida connections are very strong in the game.

But back to Vine City and the whole English Ave, etc. area. It may look suburban on google maps. Trust me. It's no Candy Land. They are making efforts to improve the area however. Starting with bulldozing the housing projects. This has been done all over Atlanta and is pretty controversial.

Last edited by Galounger; 07-07-2011 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Atlanta used to be murder capital as well. But I think he was talking strictly about guys in the drug game. I can't imagine anyplace being more cut throat than Miami in the 80's. It was barbaric when it came to that. Georgia - Florida connections are very strong in the game.

But back to Vine City and the whole English Ave, etc. area. It may look suburban on google maps. Trust me. It's no Candy Land. They are making efforts to improve the area however. Starting with bulldozing the housing projects. This has been done all over Atlanta and is pretty controversial.
When was Atlanta the murder capitol? I don't remember Atlanta ever having a murder rate high enough to be the worst in the nation. What year are you referring to?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
When was Atlanta the murder capitol? I don't remember Atlanta ever having a murder rate high enough to be the worst in the nation. What year are you referring to?
It's been a while. I couldn't remember so had to look it up. It was 1979 following Detroit then bumped off by Miami in 1980. That's according to post number 37 on this CD Thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...apitals-4.html
and also is pointed out on this excerpt from "Cocain Cowboys" which is the story of Miami's huge violent drug trade in the 80's.

On this video they mention Detroit then Atlanta were murder capital's it took Miami's insane drug violence to beat it out.

YouTube - ‪Miami Violence Early 80's‬‏

I'm not trying to make this into a my cities rougher than yours contest just trying to show people like Birdsing how ridiculous it is to think that because google map pictures make some of the areas around AUC look quite and suburban in comparison to D.C. doesn't mean that's what they are. He's made statements to the effect that all of D.C. is way more street smart and tougher because it looks more urban. I advise him not to believe that if he comes to certain areas here.

Street violence in Atlanta is a been there done that thing. And Atlanta's trying hard to keep things from getting back like they used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG4iy...eature=related

Another nearby suburban looking neighborhood.

YouTube - ‪Southwest Atlanta Terroized By Thugs‬‏

And this is the actual suburbs.

YouTube - ‪DeKalb County Murder Rate‬‏

Last edited by Galounger; 07-08-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,011,433 times
Digging this one up to make a grand announcement:

After a nearly 15 year hiatus, the Howard-Morehouse football rivalry will renewed on September 10th at RFK Stadium at the Nation's Football Classic. I might have to roll on up to DC that weekend as it should prove to be a very hype game. Plus, if last year's records are indication, Morehouse has a better than good chance of winning.

The NFC Experience | Nation's Football Classic (http://www.nationsfootballclassic.com/nfc-experience - broken link)

Does anyone in DC know if there will be pre-game Battle of the Bands the day before? If not, I am more than content with watching a battle in the parking lot and of course the battle on the field.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 AM

Sounds like fun. Wish I could make it up there. Go Morehouse!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,788,941 times
Waiting for the new Celebration Bowl this year in Atlanta

Old 10-07-2018, 02:46 PM

690 posts, read 1,008,639 times
In my opinion I currently feel like Morgan State University judged just by physicality (landscaping, building quality, beauty) has a better campus than Howard University. Both are very similar in terms of its long layout and both are located near reservoirs. However, a recent trip to both schools based on what I observed leans me toward Morgan State more. Howard has a little bit to much brick boxy buildings for me, kind of giving a grim look to the campus. I know Morgan State University has completely undergone a construction renaissance in just a span of about 10 years, creating a new dynamic and modern fabric on campus. I like how it differs from the latter with an historic section of the school located on the quad and then a new dynamic and modern fabric as you cross the bridge.

The Communications Center Building was built in 2006 as well as the Student Center building.

The EARL S. RICHARDSON LIBRARY, is a massive building definitely makes a statement as a signature building. It was completed in 2008. This replaced the Brutalist Soper Library functions.

Morgan's Center for the Built Environment and Infrastructure Studies (CBEIS) was completed in 2012 and is a LEED gold green building on the northernmost site of campus.

(all pics by me)

Old 10-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Campuswide Site Improvements/Campuswide Utilities Upgrade were completed in 2013 with landscaping improvements to the academic quad, upgrades to the baseball fields/tennis courts; and landscape improvements on Hillen Road.
Before

After

Morgan School of Business and Management completed 2015 & the adjacent Behavioral And Social Sciences building opened 2017.

(all pics by me)

Old 10-07-2018, 02:48 PM

Morgan State University’s future student services LEED silver building, Calvin and Tina Tyler Hall (under construction) intersection of Coldspring Lane/Hillen Rd. Will be adjacent to library. On the site of the demolished Soper Library. Completion set for 2020. Last time I was there I believe work was up to the second floor.

Recently Approved Northwood Plaza redevelopment. Expected to start this fall or early next year with completion of both phases in 2020.

(all pics by me)

Old 10-07-2018, 03:41 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Morgan's campus is more suburban and thus has more room to expand and build larger, newer buildings whereas Howard has a more urban campus and is geographically constrained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City