Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..........
Washington, D.C. 57 37.75%
Baltimore 15 9.93%
Atlanta 75 49.67%
Other 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,843,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It sounds like you're getting busier confused with faster. More traffic and pedestrians on the streets makes the place appear busier. But are they actually getting things done faster? If anything the heavy traffic in D.C. probably leads to them sitting in their cars longer so they get less done. And I know for a fact the trains in places like D.C. and Philly are a lot slower than the trains in Atlanta because they have to make alot more stops at more stations that are closer together.

NYC is the only city I've been to where natives truly have this must get everything (from ordering a hamburger to catching a cab or train) done quick as lighting or get out the way attitude. But even there you see plenty of visitors and tourist taking their time.
Thats what I was thinking, I dont get that in D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,843,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
People jaywalk here in San Antonio like it's nobody's business. Guess SA must be an east coast city now.
Same in Atlanta they just walk out in the street when cars are coming. Thats why so many around here are getting hit by cars.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,168,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
People jaywalk here in San Antonio like it's nobody's business. Guess SA must be an east coast city now.
WOW, now we are getting into semantics. Do people in San Antonio jay walk? Yes. Is it the norm or the culture? No. That's the difference.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,168,327 times
Here's what you get in DC that measures it pace!

More people on the trains than any other city outside of NYC
Higher percentage of people flooding the DT area by day than any city
Higher percentage of people using PT than any other city outside of NYC
More cars on the streets
Second worse traffic in the US
Higher percentage of people using Bike share programs

Until Chicago or Atlanta or San Antonio can top any of these categories consistently, DC is more fast paced.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,853,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
WOW, now we are getting into semantics. Do people in San Antonio jay walk? Yes. Is it the norm or the culture? No. That's the difference.
If by "norm" you mean do most people in the area walk? Then, no. But for those who are on foot, it appears the overwhelming majority are jaywalking instead of using the crosswalk. I'm sure it's the same way in Atlanta.

I rarely if ever use the crosswalk when I'm on foot.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:14 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,853,502 times
Quote:

More cars on the streets

Until Chicago or Atlanta or San Antonio can top any of these categories consistently, DC is more fast paced.
Now who's getting into semantics? For the record, I was not arguing that any of these cities were faster paced than DC (although Chicago might be). I was just correcting your false claim that jaywalking isn't common outside of the NE.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So are we saying being "cut-throat" is equal to being fast pace?If that is what mot people say is a part of being fast paced then no I dont think Atlanta is that.I hope it never gets like that either.
Don't forget I mentioned urban as well which relates to the cutthroat attitude there. Your enviroment is going to affect how you go on about your ways. I'm not understanding why would Atlanta have the same attitude as people in DC when the layout of the cities are different. You guys don't have to deal with catching crowded subways, hailing cabs, catching buses and dealing with bustling streets.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,442,242 times
Quote:

More cars on the streets

Okay. I finally get it. I never could really understand why you guys in the N.E. are always talking about how much faster everything is. It's because you're interchanging the words busy or bustling and hectic with the word fast. When I go to the airport in Denver for instance or when I went through registration in college in the Midwest you had large crowds of people rushing to get from one point to another. And a lot of people getting flustered and tense or being a little rude trying to get to lines before they got too long. Same thing you're talking about with your streets and sidewalks during rush hour.

Here's the thing though. There's really nothing fast about all that. There may be a lot of fast movements but no ones really getting anything done fast. It's like with the crowded subways in Tokyo. That crowded condition requires everybody to hustle a bit more and perhaps be more rude to accomplish the same task of getting everybody from work to home or where ever. But I understand now that you don't necessarily actually mean faster you really just mean busier and more crowded and hectic.

I really don't agree with that definition of fast. In New York on the other hand you have a lot of type A personality business types that are always striving to get a huge amount of everything done everyday. Now that's what I call a fast life style and you see that pretty often down here among professionals and that's really an American cultural phenomenon more than a N.E thing. But no city IMO, Not D.C. not Philly or Atlanta really compare to New York when it comes to the percentage of those type of people you come across.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:49 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It sounds like you're getting busier confused with faster. More traffic and pedestrians on the streets makes the place appear busier. But are they actually getting things done faster? If anything the heavy traffic in D.C. probably leads to them sitting in their cars longer so they get less done. And I know for a fact the trains in places like D.C. and Philly are a lot slower than the trains in Atlanta because they have to make alot more stops at more stations that are closer together.

NYC is the only city I've been to where natives truly have this must get everything (from ordering a hamburger to catching a cab or train) done quick as lighting or get out the way attitude. But even there you see plenty of visitors and tourist taking their time.
Actually fast-paced means busy and hectic.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times
Quote:
Chicago is not faster than DC, Philly or Boston. They don't even jay walk in Chicago so that kills your argument. How can you be in a rush and don't jaywalk? That's an east coast mentality to the fullest.
I guess you have never been out of the country have you?Ever been to Tokyo?Singapore?Frankfurt?Stockholm?They dont jaywalk in ANY of these places.Rules are adhered to religiously due to cultural differences.So your argument is flawed by basing things off limited knowledge.

For the record Chicago IS busier than D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City