Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM

239 posts, read 509,244 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about nice coastal towns recently. These two came to my mind because I've been to both and they're both gorgeous IMO. Both cities are of high income and are centers for universities (UCSD in La Jolla and University of Miami in Coral Gables). Which one would you rather live in and why? Which do you think is better in terms of housing stock, water activities, and overall aesthetics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 AM

419 posts, read 998,545 times
I'd prefer Coral Gables, La Jolla is nice too, kind of crowded these days I hear though.

La Jolla is much smaller, and a community within San Diego

Whereas Coral Gables is it's own city outside MIA.

This is why I personally prefer Coral Gables.

-Diverse Culture
-Great Food
-Upscale Shopping
-Downtown
-More Tropical Feel
-MORE Energy
-Close to the heart of MIA downtown and MIA beach

Coral Gables to me is more on the same level as Beverly Hills

Here is why.

-They are both their own cities within the greater regions of the city
-Both are known for their wealth and prestige
-Both have similar buildings (coral gables has biltmore hotel, beverly hills city hall)
-Both close to downtown and the heart of the major city they are outside of
-Similiar population
-Similar household income
-Similar priced homes
-Both are near where big colleges take place ( University of MIA, UCLA)

Beverly hills isn't really diverse though as compared to Coral Gables.

I can go on and on but check it out for yourself.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Beverl...alifornia.html
https://www.city-data.com/city/Coral-Gables-Florida.html

Old 05-24-2012, 12:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
La Jolla, it's one of the most beautiful communities in America imo. The water is very clear there and it has some of the whitest sand I've seen in CA, good waves at some beaches while good swimming at a beach like La Jolla Shores, great diving/snorkeling, scenic cliffs. etc.. The views from atop Mt Soledad are amazing where you get a 360 view where you can see past Downtown SD to Mexico, to Orange County, and during clear winter days the snow capped mountains 100 miles to the north.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
La Jolla. As far as comparing it to just Coral Gables. It is a unique and scenic location. However, I have noted that, beyond its beauty, San Diego metro is pretty vapid, particularly in its "culture."

Old 05-24-2012, 07:24 PM

233 posts, read 530,797 times
Coral Gables, not that La Jolla isn't very nice, its just Coral Gables appeals to me more.....much lusher, more urban, more historic homes, the Biltmore Hotel, the Venetian Pool, right next to the action and buzz of Miami, and Miracle Mile and the Downtown Area along Ponce De Leon is booming right now with new development. San Diego is nice, but too slow. I think Coral Gables is more comparable to Beverly Hills, but on the downside Coral Gables is closer to the some of Miami's rougher neighborhoods than BH is to any in Los Angeles. Palm Beach may be more comparable to Beverly Hills in appearance but lacks BH's proximity to big city life.

Last edited by sofla951; 05-24-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
but on the downside Coral Gables is closer to the some of Miami's rougher neighborhoods than BH is to any in Los Angeles.
Exactly. That's why I picked LaJolla. "Buffered."

Coral Gables is way too close to parts of Miami that have chain-link fences.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:18 AM

233 posts, read 530,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Exactly. That's why I picked LaJolla. "Buffered."

Coral Gables is way too close to parts of Miami that have chain-link fences.
True, but for me personally the other benefits of Coral Gables outweigh that negative when speaking to La Jolla, which I find nice to be somewhat boring compared to Coral Gables.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,504 times
La Jolla is good if you only care about going in the water in the summertime. Go in the water in Feb. when it is cold, not that fun. Some of the year you see more people hanging around in the sand, rather than the water. Florida beaches are just so much better than California beaches to me. Florida water at the coldest month is darn near San Diego at it's warmest month. Plus Miami has a really cool latin feel to it. There are so many different types of people there. San Diego feels very 'All-American'.

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 05-25-2012 at 02:36 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 08:33 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times
LaJolla. It's a joy to be outside. Coral Gables is muggy and sticky and can often be miserable being outside. LaJolla also to me seems FAR nicer to walk around and bike around than Coral Gables. Same theme- enjoyment of the outdoors is almost automatic. Outside with a smile is better than outside with a frown.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
la jolla is VERY beautiful and the downtown gives an amazing mediterranean feel especially when you can follow those narrow back alleys down the hillside and to the water.

the water, yeah it's cold. It's clear for san diego standards but not for any other standard.

Other than that, it's very sterile. The only thing i found myself there was the comedy club. They have more art gallerys than any other form of entertainment The restaurants are WAY overpriced.

When i lived in san diego, i took several girls to the cliffs in la jolla and we jumped in the water

coral gables i have almost no experience with (other than driving through and briefly shopping there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City