Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Overall would you rather live in?
Indianapolis, 11 15.07%
Chicago 59 80.82%
Chicago or Indy Suburbs. 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I've never been to either, but Chicago is a world class N. American city, and is on a completely different level than Indy. Supposedly Chicago's north shore suburbs are some of the most desireable places to live in all of America. Indy overall is probably cheaper I'm sure, but Chicago has one of the best COL-QOL ratios in the country.
Generally when it comes to suburbs, other midwestern metropolitan areas have nice suburbs that are just as on par with Chicago suburbs. (IE: Oakland County, MI or upscale suburbs of Ohios three Cs, or St. Louis county). And these upscale suburban areas of these metro areas generally have at least one mall, with scale down versions of all the stores one might find on the mag mile.

Chicago stands really only because of th gigantic downtown/skyline and world class lakefront, and more diversified career opportunities. Beyond that there really isn't that sets Chicago apart from other areas. Oh, and much larger Mexican population. Big Michigan and Ohio metros have just as much ethnic diversity minus Chicagos enormous Mexican population (Jewish, Polish, Italian, Greek, Arab, Black all have similar presence in Detroit and Cleveland metros).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
you couldn't pay me to live in indianapolis. different size, different culture. thread might be more interesting if it was Minneapolis/Madison vs Chicago... too much of a cultural difference between Chicago and Indy though, Indy might as well be in kentucky.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Chicago does beat Indy in just about any category of course except for taxes and COL esp. if you are single. If you are looking to raise a family though, I think more people would choose Indianapolis as it is geared more towards family.
so are the suburbs in chicago..

Old 06-06-2011, 06:14 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Is this a joke post?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 AM

27 posts, read 86,819 times
Default Illinoyed by Higher Taxes

I would encourage everyone to review the following website

Illinnoyed IEDC Page

And this PDF http://stateofyourfuture.com/pageedi...adAsset/60/316

I lived in both cities, I summarize the following:

If you are single, Chicago is better for most people.

If you have a family, Indianapolis is better for many people

Indy has NO traffic
Indy has MUCH lower taxes
Indy has MUCH less regulation and costs of doing business
Indy has MUCH lower cost of living (in particular the Real Estate)
Indy is cleaner
People in Indy are much nicer(really, they are)
Indy has largest children's museum in the world\
Indy has one of the most elaborate "greenways trail systems" in the country
Indy has one of the lowest unemployment / highest growth rates in the midwest

Chicago is prettier
Chicago has more museums and attractions
Chicago has more of everything
Chicago has much more developed public transit.
Chicago has more and larger "ethnic communities"

Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
I wouldn't really say Indy has MUCH lower taxes. The income tax in Indy is 5.02% compared to 5.00% in Chicago. Sales taxes are 7% plus 2% for all restaurants compared to Chicago's 9.25%. Corporate taxes are 8.5% in Indy compared to 9.5% in Chicago. Property taxes are fairly high in Indy right now.

I still agree Chicago has higher taxes overall, but it's not this monsoon of vastly crazy insane higher taxes like people make it out to be. I don't really know why Chicago always gets blasted as the high tax city. My income taxes and property taxes are middle of the road or even fairly low compared to many places, while the sales tax rate is equal to LA and a bit above most other cities that are around 8% to 9%.

Groceries in Chicago are taxed at 1%, and I buy most everything I need off Amazon at zero sales tax.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 AM

27 posts, read 86,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I wouldn't really say Indy has MUCH lower taxes. The income tax in Indy is 5.02% compared to 5.00% in Chicago. Sales taxes are 7% plus 2% for all restaurants compared to Chicago's 9.25%. Corporate taxes are 8.5% in Indy compared to 9.5% in Chicago. Property taxes are fairly high in Indy right now.

I still agree Chicago has higher taxes overall, but it's not this monsoon of vastly crazy insane higher taxes like people make it out to be. I don't really know why Chicago always gets blasted as the high tax city. My income taxes and property taxes are middle of the road or even fairly low compared to many places, while the sales tax rate is equal to LA and a bit above most other cities that are around 8% to 9%.
The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > Indiana (http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/27.html - broken link) Indiana

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > Illinois Illinois

You are too focused on tax rates. When the cost of living in Chicago is 38% higher it means if tax rates are exactly the same, you will still pay 38%(Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed)
more in taxes. Indiana's taxes happen to be somewhat lower which exacerbates the savings.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:27 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmaxpro View Post
The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > Indiana (http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/27.html - broken link) Indiana

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > Illinois Illinois

You are too focused on tax rates. When the cost of living in Chicago is 38% higher it means if tax rates are exactly the same, you will still pay 38%(Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
more in taxes. Indiana's taxes happen to be somewhat lower which exacerbates the savings.

So I guess what'd be more accurate to say is COL is much lower in Indy, rather than overall tax burden.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:27 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 12:20 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Groceries in Chicago are taxed at 1%, and I buy most everything I need off Amazon at zero sales tax.
Oh Chicago is a lot more complicated than that. One unless they changed it after they just changed it, the tax is 9.75% on all non-perishable goods. 2% for perishable food, drugs and medical appliances. 1% food and beverage tax downtown, 3% soft drink tax and Illinois will now start taxing online purchases. So a person goes out for a nice dinner downtown pays 11.75% tax per person compared to 9% in Indianapolis

Old 07-27-2011, 02:01 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
I plan on starting a major manufacturing company that will be headquartered Indy because I know it won't get taxed to death or worry about union territory, corruption, and over regulation. Chicago is just too expensive especially during these tough economic times. Don't get me wrong I love Chicago but I would never consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City