Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Overall would you rather live in?
Indianapolis, 11 15.07%
Chicago 59 80.82%
Chicago or Indy Suburbs. 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times

Advertisements

I don't get the corporate tax rate comparison when the two cities are so far apart in size. Chicago has a higher tax rate because they're Chicago--if a business wants to access that market, they'll pay a bit more than they would in a mid-sized burg like Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:26 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I don't get the corporate tax rate comparison when the two cities are so far apart in size. Chicago has a higher tax rate because they're Chicago--if a business wants to access that market, they'll pay a bit more than they would in a mid-sized burg like Indianapolis.
It's simple, even if the person wanted to start their business across the border in Lake County, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than starting it anywhere in Illinois.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:28 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,348 times
Quote:
You also have to keep in mind that businesses also have a market outside both cities. It would be cheaper for me to locate in a city like Indy or some city in Texas because the business climate is more reasonable. You start raising a bunch of taxes in more categories or make it harder on businesses with more regulated red tape they could leave or lay off to cut costs.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:49 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I plan on starting a major manufacturing company that will be headquartered Indy because I know it won't get taxed to death or worry about union territory, corruption, and over regulation. Chicago is just too expensive especially during these tough economic times. Don't get me wrong I love Chicago but I would never consider it.
I don't know why I laughed at this. Have fun with your "major manufacturing company".

Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Illinois isn't exactly bleeding jobs and dying on the business front. People aren't happy with a lot of the crap going on here, taxes and the politics, but the business situation in Chicago is actually looking pretty good the past few months.

Quote:
Since January 2010, when Illinois employment resumed after the national recession, Illinois has added +97,200 net new jobs. This represents a 1.7 percent job growth, compared to the nation’s 1.4 percent. Leading sectors are Professional and Business Services (+36,000); Trade, Transportation and Utilities (+24,600); Educational and Health Services (+23,900); and Manufacturing (+18,000).
Quote:
Venture-capital funding in Chicago soared in the second quarter, with total investment nearly doubling from a year earlier to $215 million. The number of second-quarter deals was unchanged from a year earlier at 14, according to Dow Jones VentureSource. Chicago dramatically outpaced the nation, nationally, the number of second-quarter deals slipped 1.5% with the total amount of venture investment down 5% from a year earlier, according to VentureSource.

The rising amount of Chicago venture investment reflects both the later stages of deals and rising valuations for tech companies, fueled by a recovering IPO market. It also shows increased investment from out-of-state venture firms, particularly Silicon Valley funds, which are paying more attention to Chicago following the success of online daily-deal provider Groupon Inc.
Quote:
Aspen Marketing expanding its HQ in West Chicago

Apr 19, 2011 02:16AM

Aspen Marketing Services, the largest privately held marketing agency in the U.S., last week launched the expansion of its national headquarters in West Chicago.

Aspen has evolved from a small boutique agency to a fully integrated digital agency.

The agency’s growth spawned a 50,000-square-foot expansion that will accommodate up to 180 more employees, increasing the staff capacity at Aspen’s North American headquarters to nearly 600 people. The construction project will include additional office space, a state-of the-art cafeteria, an employee recreation area, a photography studio and an extensive remodel of existing office space. The project is scheduled for completion in September.
Quote:
Medical organization moving to 155 N. Wacker

By: Eddie Baeb April 27, 2011

(Crain’s) — An organization of university hospitals is moving its headquarters to a new Wacker Drive tower from west suburban Oak Brook.

University HealthSystem Consortium, which provides group buying and consulting services, leased three upper-level floors at 155 N. Wacker Drive.

The organization will bring about 250 employees downtown when it moves in June to its new 77,109-square-foot headquarters, says Penny Hajduk, senior director of human resources for the organization, known as UHC.
Quote:
GrubHub founder — from bootstrapping to $34M in funding
Apr 27, 2011 1:40PM

The hottest consumer Internet company in Chicago not named Groupon took nearly seven years to become an overnight success.

GrubHub.com, which lets consumers in Chicago and other major U.S. cities make food delivery orders online and via mobile applications, has raised more than $30 million in venture capital financing since last November (and about $34 million overall). The company is busting out of its headquarters at 2211 N. Elston, having doubled its employee head count to more than 120 since Dec. 1. Thousands of restaurants nationwide use its service.
Quote:
Wells Fargo signs biggest downtown Chicago lease since 2009
By: Eddie Baeb May 02, 2011

In the biggest downtown lease in almost two years, Wells Fargo & Co. is taking 293,000 square feet in a Wacker Drive complex, a sign that a slow, choppy recovery in the high-rise office market is under way.

The banking giant is consolidating operations from five Loop locations into the 10 and 30 S. Wacker Drive building, says Lisa Johnson, who heads commercial banking in Illinois and Wisconsin at Wells Fargo. The bank is moving in stages over several years and ultimately will have about 700 employees in the complex.
Quote:
Tech firm CloudBlue to expand Joliet facility, increase hiring
By Wailin Wong

CloudBlue Technologies, a Georgia-based company that helps corporations safely dispose of their electronics, said Tuesday it has expanded its processing facility in Joliet and hired more than 60 employees.

The Joliet facility has increased its capacity by 200 percent in the last six months and is now better equipped to help local companies with data destruction, electronics recycling and other services, the company said.
Quote:
Technology hiring reboots in Chicago
By: John Pletz May 09, 2011

...Chicago-based online advertising company Classified Ventures LLC will add about 100 jobs locally this year. Google could boost its Chicago staff by up to 20%, topping 500 employees. Microsoft Corp., which employs 540 in Chicago and Downers Grove, has about 20 open positions now and likely will add more. Online daily-deal company Groupon has about 60 openings in Chicago. Savo, which makes sales software, plans to double headcount downtown to about 200. Add to that scores of small startups and non-tech companies, and the talent chase is getting harder and more costly.
Quote:
Winpak Portion Packaging to Construct New Manufacturing Plant in Chicago

Published on May 10, 2011 at 7:34 AM

By Cameron Chai

Winpak Portion Packaging, Winpak’s rigid packaging business division, will construct a new production plant in the greater Chicago. The company has planned to spend US$30 million for this expansion.

The new manufacturing plant will be located in Sauk Village and will generate 40 new jobs instantly. The company will recruit more staff in the future.
Quote:
Google’s gains in Illinois outpace its national growth

By: John Pletz May 16, 2011

(Crain’s) —Google Inc. is growing faster in Illinois than it is overall, thanks to customers such as fast-growing Internet companies Groupon Inc. and GrubHub Inc. as well as consumer-products giants Kraft Foods Inc. and MillerCoors LLC.

Illinois is home to a growing number of Google employees involved in sales and engineering. The company employs about 475 workers in downtown Chicago and expects to grow 25% this year.
Quote:
Caribou Coffee to open more stores in Chicago area

Quote:
Caribou Coffee is planning to open seven to 10 new coffeehouses in the Chicago area in the next year and increase the number of its stores from 56 to as many as 300 in the next five to 10 years.

"This should be our biggest Midwest market by far," Caribou CEO Mike Tattersfield said in an interview. "It's the third largest city in the country, and we're a known brand."
Quote:
GE Capital Expanding in Chicago

GE Capital, the financial services arm of GE, announced today plans to expand its operations in Chicago by bringing 1,000 jobs to the City, building on its already strong presence in the region. Currently, GE Capital has more than 1,000 employees in Chicago and GE has over 4,000 overall in the State of Illinois. This decision reflects GE Capital’s commitment to the region and its desire to support future growth in its business.

“Chicago has been a great market for GE Capital in a number of ways. The City and surrounding areas are home to many thriving, main street companies we serve as customers. Currently, we have over $5.4 billion in financing commitments extended to over 11,000 customers in Illinois. Chicago also offers a deep pool of financial services talent we can draw upon to help serve our customers in the area and across the country,” GE Capital, Americas President and CEO Dan Henson said.
Quote:
Chrysler supplier to open plant in Belvedere
May 27, 2011

A supplier for Chrysler plans to open a new facility in northern Illinois, bringing
200 jobs to Belvidere.

The Rockford Register Star reports Thursday that International Automotive Components will open a 172,000-square foot assembly plant in Belvidere. The company supplies vehicle interiors for the automaker Chrysler Group LLC.
Quote:
Chicago tourism sector sees best summer since '08

Crain's Chicago Business - Brigid Sweeney - ‎8 hours ago‎

Chicago, like other US cities, is benefiting from the weak dollar, too. Chicago ranks 10th among US cities in drawing overseas travel, bringing ...
Quote:
Mariano’s grocery to hire 900 in Chicago

Mariano’s Fresh Market is hiring 900 workers — 450 at each of its two new stores in Chicago — ranging from managers to meat cutters to cake decorators.

Applications open Wednesday at MarianosFreshMarket.com (click on “Careers” and then click on “for store career paths”) for jobs at the Mariano’s at 3350 N. Western Avenue (Roscoe and Western). Mariano’s will call prospective candidates starting June 8.

The store is slated to open late this summer.
Quote:
United Airlines boosting downtown workforce by 1,300
By: John Pletz June 10, 2011

Chicago is beginning to reap the rewards of the merger of United Airlines and Continental Airlines.

United said Friday it is adding another 1,300 jobs in Chicago, which is headquarters to the newly combined airline. The announcement brings downtown workers from elsewhere in the two carriers' operations.
Quote:
Motorola Solutions answers Emanuel's call, adds 400 Chicago jobs

6/14/2011

(Crain's) — After he was elected mayor, Rahm Emanuel wasted no time putting the arm on Greg Brown, CEO of Motorola Solutions Inc., for jobs.

The result: Motorola said Tuesday it will add 400 jobs in the city by the end of next year.

The jobs are primarily in services, sales support and technology integration. Some of the positions are new and others involve jobs being transferred from outside the city and state, the company says.
Quote:
Allscripts ready to double Chicago workforce, add conventions here

Brigid Sweeney June 28, 2011
6/28/2011

(Crain's) — Allscripts Health Care Solutions Inc. announced Tuesday that it plans to boost its workforce here by hiring 300 new employees by the end of next year.
Quote:
Walgreens to add 600 jobs in Chicago

BY FRAN SPIELMAN
Wednesday, June 29, 2011. | Brian Jackson~Sun-Times

Deerfield-based Walgreens is dramatically increasing its Chicago presence — by adding 600 city jobs, building up to a dozen new stores and remodeling 39 existing drug stores in food deserts to feature fresh fruits and vegetables.

Half of the new jobs will be created in Chicago neighborhoods, where residents have precious few shopping choices.

The other half will be downtown, where Walgreens plans to add jobs in e-commerce and information technology.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,013 times
Quote:
Chicago has higher taxes because palms have to get greased and Illinois is a broke state with no signs of coming out of it anytime soon. It's funny how Chicagoians like to refer tend to look down on other places as some mid-sized burg and blah blah and then turn around and get upset when New Yorkers or Los Angelinos look down on them in the same way. Until every American moves to Chicago, then odds are there's other places people would rather live than the city of Chicago.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Property taxes are fairly high in Indy right now.
How so? Indy is subject to the same 1% assessed value cap for homestead properties under Indiana law.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:51 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
so are the suburbs in chicago..
Yea I don't get that school of that. "Well this city is smaller, so it must be more family-friendly". No. Big cities are big because there are many, many families living there.

I don't really see many redeeming qualities to Indianapolis. No offense to the city, but it's just not for me. Too small, too whitebread, too...nothing. Chicago offers so much that I like and it's one of the most desirable cities in the country in my opinion.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Indianapolis is one of the least walkable major cities in the U.S. ...up there with Jacksonville. Not my type of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea I don't get that school of that. "Well this city is smaller, so it must be more family-friendly". No. Big cities are big because there are many, many families living there.

I don't really see many redeeming qualities to Indianapolis. No offense to the city, but it's just not for me. Too small, too whitebread, too...nothing. Chicago offers so much that I like and it's one of the most desirable cities in the country in my opinion.
I agree, big metros are a microcosm, there is anything and everything there... to suit any time period in your life. Most have many sattelite cities where you can live with a few 100k people if that is what you want and never ever go into the major hub city. I've moved to diff places in Chicago based on preferences at diff ages, and will continue to, it is the same way in other major metros.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Interesting that someone from Boston would refer to Indy as "whitebread."

As a "family" guy, here's how I see it -- both are great cities with a good quality of life. Obviously Chicago is bigger and can offer more entertainment/shopping/food options, but between career, family activities and home duties, I don't have enough time to experience all that Indy has to offer, let alone Chicago. If there's something that's a real must-see or do in Chicago, it's an easy trip up there. The "family" suburbs of Chicago are no better than those here in Indy, as I see it. Naperville, IL, might as well be Carmel, IN. However, my mortgage in Carmel would be about half of what it would be in Naperville, and my property taxes would be at most a third. My quality of life would be the same, finances aside. Easy decision.

Then again, I'm a bit spoiled because I go to Chicago a ton for work. So, I can experience Chicago while enjoying Indy's cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City