Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 AM

589 posts, read 376,870 times

Advertisements

Sunny California has been taking a beating lately on our 2011 Forbes cities lists. Stockton took first place as the Most Miserable City for the second time in three years, and four Golden State metros ranked high on our Most Toxic Cities list. Alas, California also claims the top spots on our newest list: Cities Where The Economy May Get Worse. Riverside ranked No. 1 thanks to a high unemployment rate (13.9%) coupled with weak job growth, a hefty number of mortgage loans 90 days or more delinquent (8.21% of all loans) and a projected migration pattern that finds 4,000 residents expected to leave the area this year.
Other Golden State metros on the list: Stockton at No. 2, Los Angeles at No. 4, Bakersfield at No. 5, San Francisco at No. 6 and Sacramento at No. 7. All of these cities have double-digit unemployment rates and paltry job growth projections. All except LA have housing markets in which prices continue to decline or remain stagnant.

Cities Where Economies Are Getting Worse - Forbes.com

Ouch ! Poor Californian cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 01:06 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,269,048 times
Great! More West Coast people moving east. Please leave that "laid back" crap in Cali.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Great! More West Coast people moving east. Please leave that "laid back" crap in Cali.
All Californians aren't bad, some of them leave because they're tired about taxes and high cost of living, some of them didn't vote for tax-and-spend politicians.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,269,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
All Californians aren't bad, some of them leave because they're tired about taxes and high cost of living, some of them didn't vote for tax-and-spend politicians.
No doubt. It has to be very frustrating to be anywhere near center/right and live out there. I am from New England and I have to say California and New England have to be the most beautiful places on earth with some of the worst politicians to be found.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,836,665 times
Quote:
No doubt. It has to be very frustrating to be anywhere near center/right and live out there. I am from New England and I have to say California and New England have to be the most beautiful places on earth with some of the worst politicians to be found.
Ugghh, don't turn this thread into a west coast vendetta and politcal pity party, you have a habbit of doing that. BTW New England has some of the strongest economic growth right now, so much for your political theories. http://www.boston.com/Boston/businessupdates/2011/06/mass-economy-growth-fourth-the-nation/N7cxgTDNJyhbKlBCgj67aI/index.html?p1=News_links (broken link)

Politicians in Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Ohio just to name a few are equally as bad. Just about everywhere it boils down to the haves and the have nots.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Ugghh, don't turn this thread into a west coast vendetta and politcal pity party, you have a habbit of doing that. BTW New England has some of the strongest economic growth right now, so much for your political theories. Mass. economy’s growth fourth in the nation (http://www.boston.com/Boston/businessupdates/2011/06/mass-economy-growth-fourth-the-nation/N7cxgTDNJyhbKlBCgj67aI/index.html?p1=News_links - broken link)

Politicians in Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Ohio just to name a few are equally as bad. Just about everywhere it boils down to the haves and the have nots.
Yeah but Texas politicians know economics, so I'm ok about them

Old 06-08-2011, 07:35 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
You have enough problems in Texas where I dont even know how you have time to worry about California. But I appreciate your concern.

The difference between California and Texas is that CA has tax-and-spend-politicians while Texas has spend-but-don't-tax-politicians.

You do know that Texas just had to make horrific cuts to education and human services to close a $25 Billion deficit, dont you? And that all indications point to a terrible scenario for schools and an even worse future for the poor, elderly and sick.

And that's another difference between CA and TX. California's leaders would rather take on debt and be harangued by the media than deny food for the hungry, medicine for the sick, care for the elderly and education for those who can't afford it.

And I support them 100%.

And it all comes down to greed imo. There is a faction of the political spectrum that loves to talk a good talk when it comes to Christianity, but at the same time, cries foul at the mention of any taxation to help others. Anyone else find that to be the peak of hypocrisy? They are wolves in sheeps clothing if you ask me.(This does not pertain solely to TX btw as every state has people like that).

And its easy to compile some ridiculous and oversimplified ranking picking on California, the state that suffered the most during the housing meltdown-which led to 2 Million jobs being lost.

In fact, despite the long, drawn our recession, California's economy declined for the first and only time in 2009(just like Texas whose economy shrank by 1.5%) when it declined by 2.1%.

Otherwise, in 2010, 2008, 2007 and so forth, our economy has grown despite any setbacks and that speaks to the reslience of our state and national economy.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
It seems that California is truly on a downhill slide now. I really hope things turn around for the better in what was once a great state.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It seems that California is truly on a downhill slide now. I really hope things turn around for the better in what was once a great state.
I hope too, but I don't think it's possible with these politicians..

Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,602,502 times
Quote:
The east coast could use a bit more of a laid-back mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City