Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Sadly half of the Wilshire Blvd corridor (Anywhere west of Western Ave.) is lacking in a subway because of the shortsightedness of the local politicians.

They are finally putting in a subway now. Once the purple line is in, pretty much all the big sites in LA (that's the key here) will be connected by the subway system. I really hope I still live in LA when that gets finished, but I may have already moved on.
Moved on? Where else would you move to?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:34 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be feasible to travel Hollywood and central LA without a car. That doesn't seem impossible to me.
Again, you could walk in any city. It's not impossible.

You could walk from Charlotte-Douglas Airport to Downtown Charlotte, right?

One of my co-workers runs in from New Jersey twice a week. That's not impossible.

A woman swam across the Atlantic Ocean once. It's not impossible.

"Possibility" has nothing to do with it. If it were just about "possibility," then there'd be no reason for trains, boats, or planes since theoretically I could walk to the edge of Long Island, swim to Saudi Arabia, and then hike the rest of the way to the Himalayas on foot.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Moved on? Where else would you move to?
Bay area. I have more family up there.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Again, you could walk in any city. It's not impossible.

You could walk from Charlotte-Douglas Airport to Downtown Charlotte, right?

One of my co-workers runs in from New Jersey twice a week. That's not impossible.

A woman swam across the Atlantic Ocean once. It's not impossible.

"Possibility" has nothing to do with it. If it were just about "possibility," then there'd be no reason for trains, boats, or planes since theoretically I could walk to the edge of Long Island, swim to Saudi Arabia, and then hike the rest of the way to the Himalayas on foot.
Let me put it this way, I don't see how it wouldn't be FEASIBLE to walk around Hollywood and Central LA and get around those parts using only PT. Why should I think that would be hard to do? If someone who lives there, says they do it on the daily, than I'll take their word for it. I don't need to convince myself that they're lying.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM

All this guy needs in life to be happy:

Google Maps

Kushmart, 6430 Selma Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90028-6204 - Google Maps

Amoeba Music Inc, Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

la fitness, 7021 hollywood boulevard, los angeles, ca 90028 - Google Maps

Pla-Boy Liquor, Yucca Street, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

http://g.co/maps/9bs4r

All within a ten minute walk from my house. Some are literally steps from my apartment.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Looks walk-able and full to me. Doesn't look empty. If you can't walk here, than you can't walk in DC, NYC, BOS, etc. I think with some people it's all about aesthetics MASKED as "walk-ability".

Old 01-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Looks walk-able and full to me. Doesn't look empty. If you can't walk here, than you can't walk in DC, NYC, BOS, etc. I think with some people it's all about aesthetics MASKED as "walk-ability".
I agree.

From some of the images there are things that hurt walkability... like that Jack in the Box (You guys are seriously missing out though Jack in the Box is the sh**) next to Amoeba. At the same time it is not an impenetrable force that makes me drive to Amoeba (and pay for parking)

The aesthetics are definitely quite different from the east coast. As Boston was the city that really introduced me to urban living, I'll admit the urban fabric here took some getting used to. But to say it is not walkable is laughable.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I agree.

From some of the images there are things that hurt walkability... like that Jack in the Box (You guys are seriously missing out though Jack in the Box is the sh**) next to Amoeba. At the same time it is not an impenetrable force that makes me drive to Amoeba (and pay for parking)

The aesthetics are definitely quite different from the east coast. As Boston was the city that really introduced me to urban living, I'll admit the urban fabric here took some getting used to. But to say it is not walkable is laughable.
I saw a couple of parking lots and that Jack N The Box, but that goes back to aesthetics. Because like you said, if you lived in ANY of those surrounding apartments, would those parking lots and fast-food joints physically keep you from getting out of your apartment and prevent you from walking to that trader joes that's around the corner? It's VERY walk-able, and not walk-able in the sense where it's possible but not feasible. It's walk-able in the sense that it's possible and would be MORE feasible than driving, especially if you live in the apartments in the Yucca Corridor/District.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Forgot about this one too, about a 20 minute walk from my front door:

Runyon Canyon - Fuller Entrance, North Fuller Avenue, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

One of the most unique parks in the country. It provides sweeping views of the entire city. LA doesn't seems quite so large or intimidating from the hills of Runyon Canyon.

And oh. my. god. the women that hike here.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:50 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
You also seem to have a history with South Beach, so you probably know all the tourist traps and the legitimately good stuff, etc.

Personally I don't think I would want to spend an entire vacation in one 3 square mile area (don't know if that is the accurate size). Personally I would want to see more of the city.
I understand and agree. But what I am saying is that a trip to Miami could still be worth it even without a car. You've got South Beach. Just like in Vegas you've got the Strip. You are not gonna see everything those metros have to offer but the Strip and South Beach pack enough of a punch to make it worth the trip.

LA is not worth the trip without a car IMO. There is no equivalent to the Strip or South Beach in one compact area in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City