Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans is not as liberal as you may think. Maybe progressive by Louisiana standards, but not nationally.
That is Austin right there. Liberal by Texas standards, but Nationally it would be in the lower half of major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 10:41 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
What I am saying is that Austin has the Image of being liberal. It especially did when it was more of a college town. And as far as College Towns go it wasn't even that liberal.

What makes Texas so conservative is the Sea of small towns surrounding the bigger cities. So when you have a blue dot surrounded by a sea of red that blue dot stands out more prominently.

As for Houston and Dallas, the cities are more liberal than Austin. The inner loop of Houston would give Austin a run for its money, but the suburbs of Houston (except some in Fort Bend) tend to lean conservative.

Also Dallas and Houston has a history of prominent politicians and the recent ones were Republican, so that kinda skews Houston and Dallas's image towards the conservative side. So although LBJ lived and taught in Houston, Its George Bush the first that everyone remembers. To make it worse George the 1st national convention in 1992 was in Houston. On the Dallas Side, George the Second's Ranch is just outside Waco near Dallas. And he chose to retire in Dallas. But just because the man likes Dallas does not mean that Dallas is all that conservative.

As for the Austin Lefty you are talking about, he is Not a Texan or a southerner. He would only feel at home in Austin. They will try and tell you that Austin is more like Portland instead of anywhere else in Texas, but that is BS. Austin is not at all like Portland. It is more like the inner loop of Houston or certain areas in Dallas. Don't try comparing Austin to ATL. Remember this is all in the heads of Austonians. When you tell them you are from [insert anywhere that is not Austin from the south here] their reply is aww, I am sorry for you.

As for your critical mass argument, that is not what I am saying at all. Austin's liberals are not very liberal at all. I am not talking about this place having more or less, I am just saying that they are only perceived as being liberal, as a holdover from the college town days. Austin is more "funny" than weird. It is funny as in the weird look that Hank Hill has when anyone on King of the Hill mentions Austin. The big local debate in Austin is not about Taxes or spending, or welfare programs, it is about who is gonna run Eeyore's Birthday party this year.

There is no critical mass of liberalism in Austin, just a lot of weirdness. They have a homeless transvestites person who runs for mayor every term and they think that makes them liberal.

I have no time for your childish Nonsense. You know Austin people like to blow a lot of hot air but it does not come close to living up to the hype. Austin is NOT Liberal as you guys would like to think. See the rest of the country and then come back and talk.
Lol, Austonians?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:43 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
New Orleans without a doubt is the most liberal city in the South, all others is just BS. Mardi Gras/Bourbon and that is just for starters
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Wrong. This is about metro areas, not just the cities. Metarie is hardly liberal, and neither is the North Shore.
Agree.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Wrong. This is about metro areas, not just the cities. Metarie is hardly liberal, and neither is the North Shore.
NOLA supercedes its metro in being very liberal. The other cities in the south didn't know what liberal was until the last 15 yrs

Old 06-18-2011, 01:29 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Miami may be fiscally conservative but it's is probably the most socially liberal metro in the south.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:33 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Miami may be fiscally conservative but it's is probably the most socially liberal metro in the south.
I disagree. I think Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are just as socially liberal as Miami.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
since forever, people there say y'all. it is definitely southern, what else would it be?
i know people in philly who say y'all... it's not exactly a great indicator of what is and isn't southern.

and i'm sorry... while some of texas seems southern... along the gulf coast. most of texas predominately feels southwestern.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 PM

316 posts, read 559,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You forgot Savannah where you can walk down the street with a drink.
Haha.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I disagree. I think Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are just as socially liberal as Miami.
Really? Care to explain that? Miami has had a Human Rights Ordinance that protects Gays from discrimination in housing & employment since 1998. Miami also has a indegent healthcare sales tax since 1991 that covers the poor as well as a transit tax since 2002. Obama carried all three of the counties in the metro area. I don't understand the perception that somehow Miami is a conservative metro.

Did Obama carry every single county in the Dallas, Houston or Atlanta metros?

Old 06-18-2011, 03:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Fort Lauderdale and the Broward county
both are part of the Miami metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City