Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:57 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Really? Care to explain that? Miami has had a Human Rights Ordinance that protects Gays from discrimination in housing & employment since 1998. Miami also has a indegent healthcare sales tax since 1991 that covers the poor as well as a transit tax since 2002. Obama carried all three of the counties in the metro area. I don't understand the perception that somehow Miami is a conservative metro.

Did Obama carry every single county in the Dallas, Houston or Atlanta metros?
Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston all have ordinances that prohibit discrimination against gays by the same standard. I'm pretty sure Atlanta does too.

However since this thread is about metro areas I do agree with you. Dallas, Fulton, and Harris counties are islands of blue among a sea of red as far as the eye can see. That is especially dramatic in Dallas and Atlanta.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 06-18-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 04:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston all have ordinances that prohibit discrimination against gays by the same standard. I'm pretty sure Atlanta does too.

However since this thread is about metro areas I do agree with you. Dallas, Fulton, and Harris counties are islands of blue among a sea of red as far as the eye can see.
Don't forget fort Bend they are trending Blue. Brazoria's black population increased by over 100% last decade, the hispanic pop there grew by a hella lot too, Brazoria's conservative streak should be diluted soon.

anyway, I would say Texas is leaning more on the Libertarian side than on the Conservative side.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:02 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default Atlanta...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
We all know that the south in pretty much conservative, but which city/metro in the south is the most liberal in the region?

I think Austin is the most liberal city in the south. Atlanta comes in second.

Austin hasn't even elected it's first Afro-American Mayor yet
it's not the most lib city in the south........

Old 06-18-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Austin hasn't even elected it's first Afro-American Mayor yet
it's not the most lib city in the south........
It will be a cold day in Hell when Austin elects its first black Mayor. You would think they would have at least elected a gay one by now. But thus far few major cities have done that. Off the top of my head I can think of Houston and Portand

Old 06-18-2011, 05:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default Atlanta And Houston..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It will be a cold day in Hell when Austin elects its first black Mayor. You would think they would have at least elected a gay one by now. But thus far few major cities have done that. Off the top of my head I can think of Houston and Portand

Atlanta and Houston are the south " two most gay friendly cities"

Old 06-18-2011, 05:06 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Sure, Austin has an "image" of itself...and people in other cities (esp. in TX) love to complain about the "Austitude". But most people here don't have it and are just livin', like you and me I will concede that on these forums, Houston and Dallas are often put down by Austin...I don't understand why that is the case. But this forum is hardly an accurate snapshot of reality.

Those 4 cities aren't the best comparison...ATL, DAL and HOU are all major metro areas and far bigger than Austin...so of course they are more well-rounded cities. Austin is currently in some awkward spot between college-town and semi-major metro area. A bit of an identity crisis. Grapico: you are correct. Just the number of liberal people in a place doesn't tell us if a place is liberal. Same goes for any measurement of a statistic in a city- you have to look at per capita.

The majority of liberal people vote Democrat...if you look at those numbers, Travis County has been more left politically in recent elections than say, Dallas or Harris County. You can't say that Austin is "just as conservative" as DAL/HOU without empirical evidence of that...unless we're operating under different definitions of liberal/conservative.

Perhaps the OP can define the terms?
It's actually quite the opposite.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Miami and Dallas are too.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:14 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Yeah, all counties within the South Florida metro are have gone blue(meaning a good number of the suburbs). But the main reason for this is, South Florida in general has many larger cities in adjacent counties that are more than just mere suburbs of Miami. Broward County by it's self has a population of 1.8million people, and Palm Beach with 1.3million people. Miami isn't the only "inner-city" in South Florida, and most "inner-cities" tend to go blue.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:42 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Some pretty good points for Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans, and Miami.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
New Orleans is the second "gayest" city in the US, behind San Francisco. Second largest parade as well, a whole festival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City