Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You must be new here. I should have warned you for saying Austin is Liberal, people here don't take too kindly to that phrase.
that is not the point we disagree with, we disagree with his notion that it is clearly Austin (that is not clear) and that anywhere with a Uni is liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
Quote:
Knoxville, home of the original UT , is most definitely not a liberal city by any stretch of the imagination.
BBBBut JMT, we already elected a gay mayor - 4 times. Oh, you mean an openly gay mayor.......

And our most fashionable adress for urban living is ...... Gay street.

But you're right, the OP asked about metro areas and the metro area is pretty conservative.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
there are schools in Texas just as large as UT that are NOT in liberal areas.

University of FLorida, Arizona State, Texas A&M, Liberty University (Jerry Falwell's pet project), Brigham Young, etc are all schools as large as UT that are NOT in liberal areas
My point exactly. However, Gainesville FL (home of the U of FL) is most certainly not conservative at all. It's my hometown, and it's often referred to as the People's Republic of Gainesville. The counties surrounding Alachua County are decidedly conservative, however.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Miami is fairly "conservative" for a large city. Republicans can so definitely win it. We have like 5 congresspeople on our party from Miami's metro.
You have "like 5 Republican congress people" from Miami's metro because Republicans run Tallahassee and gerrymander the districts.

In South Florida, MiamiDade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties are solidly blue voting counties with Broward (Ft. Lauderdale) being the bluest of them all. I'd offer the Durham-Chapel Hill MSA or the Raleigh/Durham/Cary CSA as a candidate as the most liberal metro in the South. It's ALWAYS blue and typically quite liberal.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
We can't dismiss this arguement because there is some truth to this. Those of Mexican ancestry whether they be "legal" or "illegal" will follow a party that takes up their cause which is immigration and important to them.

On the flip side are Cubans in Miami who vote for Republicans. At one time they were Dems until the JFK debacle at Bay of Pigs. Do you know how many Cubans in Miami still blame him for that? Then came Reagan in the 80s and chanted "Cuba Si, Castro No" while sipping coffee in Little Havana and the political tide changed to the Republicans because they would never negotiate with Castro or overturn the Embargo.
Most Cubans are socially Liberals but they vote for the GOP because of their foreign policy stance towards Cuba & their hatred for Castro. It has nothing to do with being "conservative".
Oh please! I couldn't disagree with you more on that one. Certainly the recent immigrants and the younger Cuban-Americans in Miami are different from their parents and grandparents but to call the Cubans socially liberal as a group is just plain wrong.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
At the same token, I wouldn't necessarily group the Republican Cubans in Miami with the Tea Party/Anti-Illegal Immigration crowd. Not that there's is anything wrong with that crowd, but if a Cuban makes it to land illegally, we know who WILL have his/her back, and who won't. They tried to keep Elian in the US, that's the most Anti-Illegal Immigrant thing I've ever seen.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
At the same token, I wouldn't necessarily group the Republican Cubans in Miami with the Tea Party/Anti-Illegal Immigration crowd. Not that there's is anything wrong with that crowd, but if a Cuban makes it to land illegally, we know who WILL have his/her back, and who won't. They tried to keep Elian in the US, that's the most Anti-Illegal Immigrant thing I've ever seen.
In almost all cases, if a Cuban makes it to our shores, he/she stays legally. If Cubans had to face the same immigration issues as other immigrants, they'd sing a much different tune IMO.
The whole Elian drama was a VERY special case. Very good observation!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In almost all cases, if a Cuban makes it to our shores, he/she stays legally. If Cubans had to face the same immigration issues as other immigrants, they'd sing a much different tune IMO.
The whole Elian drama was a VERY special case. Very good observation!
Yeah, and I was only 10 when it happened.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
My point exactly. However, Gainesville FL (home of the U of FL) is most certainly not conservative at all. It's my hometown, and it's often referred to as the People's Republic of Gainesville. The counties surrounding Alachua County are decidedly conservative, however.
didn't mean to imply that it was conservative.

Austin is in the same position. It is surrounded by conservative areas.
Same with a dozen other metros in the south.

Inner loop houston is Liberal, while the rest of the County votes blue. Fort Ben county votes blue too an the rest of the Counties are a sea of Red.

Dallas County usually votes blue while the surrounding counties are red.

The assertion that Austin gets a pass because of a large university is absurd though.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
BBBBut JMT, we already elected a gay mayor - 4 times.
Which mayor of Knoxville are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City