Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 07:39 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Well sure, that's true. However, the traffic in Nashville is much worse than Richmond in general. And the metro is much more spread out.
The average commute in metro Nashville is 27 minutes; in metro Richmond, it's about 25 minutes. Negligible difference.

http://censusreporter.org/profiles/3...tn-metro-area/

http://censusreporter.org/profiles/3...va-metro-area/

Old 06-24-2016, 08:26 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The average commute in metro Nashville is 27 minutes; in metro Richmond, it's about 25 minutes. Negligible difference.

Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN Metro Area - Profile data - Census Reporter

Richmond, VA Metro Area - Profile data - Census Reporter
You are nitpicking. Commute times don't tell the whole story. Where you work and live absolutely has an impact. I'm not arguing that.

However, have you driven in both? Ever seen the amount of congestion in both? I can assure you that traffic is worse in Nashville. There is very little congestion in Richmond, except around where 64 meets 195 and I-95.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN Metro Area - Profile data - Census Reporter

Richmond, VA Metro Area - Profile data - Census Reporter
Here are some other sources that point to what I've experienced:

http://williamsonsource.com/nashvill...ities-of-2015/
Nashville ranked 19th worst traffic city in U.S.
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...s-traffic.html
Nashville has 11th worst traffic in US, says study - WSMV Channel 4

Old 06-24-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
You are nitpicking. Commute times don't tell the whole story. Where you work and live absolutely has an impact. I'm not arguing that.

However, have you driven in both? Ever seen the amount of congestion in both? I can assure you that traffic is worse in Nashville. There is very little congestion in Richmond, except around where 64 meets 195 and I-95.
That's not nitpicking; it's facts. Average commute times is about the only way to make an apples-to-apples comparison. But otherwise, I'd expect a larger, more popular, faster-growing metro to have more traffic. That's just plain ol' common sense.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
That's not nitpicking; it's facts. Average commute times is about the only way to make an apples-to-apples comparison. But otherwise, I'd expect a larger, more popular, faster-growing metro to have more traffic. That's just plain ol' common sense.
I guess the difference between traffic in Nashville and LA is negligible too given that the mean commute time is 30 mins there (and only 5 min difference from Richmond):

Los Angeles, CA - Profile data - Census Reporter

Glad you agree traffic is worse in Nashville though, despite commute times.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I guess the difference between traffic in Nashville and LA is negligible too given that the mean commute time is 30 mins there (and only 5 min difference from Richmond):

Los Angeles, CA - Profile data - Census Reporter
LA's traffic is legendary for sure but the region also has multiple employment centers which disperses it somewhat, plus it has a relatively robust transit system which is expanding.

Quote:
Glad you agree traffic is worse in Nashville though, despite commute times.
Yeah it's just intuitive.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:33 AM

77 posts, read 165,328 times
I have spent my entire life in Raleigh and Virginia i went to school in both places. I have my mother in Newport News father and brothers in Raleigh. Richmond is in a better location than Raleigh. Richmond is cheaper but the job selection in Raleigh is much better schools in Raleigh are better, traffic in Raleigh is worst. Raleigh is much more like Va Beach/ Chesapeake than it is Richmond. Both have a decent nightlife as a young black man in his 20s. Both have areas of crime like any major city but Richmonds are more plentuful and in a lot of areas in the city. Richmond is more comparable to Greensboro than in is to Raleigh. Feels southern except in its downtown where it feels philly/baltimoreish. Public transportation not great in either. Both have a lot to do for children edge Richmond for kings dominion. Raleigh has 3 major universities and Richkond only has VCU even though Richmonds hbcus are great. If your in you20single in your 20s I would say Richmond. If you have a family or want to go to college I would say Raleigh. If you prefer southern neither is anything like a eaat coast city dont believe the hype about the transplants making it northern in VA outside of NOVA or in NC.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:57 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
I have spent my entire life in Raleigh and Virginia i went to school in both places. I have my mother in Newport News father and brothers in Raleigh. Richmond is in a better location than Raleigh. Richmond is cheaper but the job selection in Raleigh is much better schools in Raleigh are better, traffic in Raleigh is worst. Raleigh is much more like Va Beach/ Chesapeake than it is Richmond. Both have a decent nightlife as a young black man in his 20s. Both have areas of crime like any major city but Richmonds are more plentuful and in a lot of areas in the city. Richmond is more comparable to Greensboro than in is to Raleigh. Feels southern except in its downtown where it feels philly/baltimoreish. Public transportation not great in either. Both have a lot to do for children edge Richmond for kings dominion. Raleigh has 3 major universities and Richkond only has VCU even though Richmonds hbcus are great. If your in you20single in your 20s I would say Richmond. If you have a family or want to go to college I would say Raleigh. If you prefer southern neither is anything like a eaat coast city dont believe the hype about the transplants making it northern in VA outside of NOVA or in NC.
Let's point out the questionable statements here:

1) Richmond's crime really is overblown. The lion's share--over 50%--of violent crime in Rich is committed on the Southside alone...
2) Richmond is more comparable to Greensboro than Raleigh?? Needs explanation!!
3) the only traditionally southern area of the city is the Southside. Richmond is still of the South, but the character and culture of the rest of the city are firmly characteristic of modern-day Mid-Atlantic...
4) Raleigh doesn't have three "major" universities, and Richmond doesn't only have VCU...
5) Explain your "neither is like an East Coast city" statement...

Well, you admitted you are from Newport News. Judging your post, I'd say you are QUITE unfamiliar with Richmond. Really, your post is much more descriptive of Newport News than Rich--are you sure you didn't confuse your cities here?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:25 PM

77 posts, read 165,328 times
I lived in Richmond went to school in Prince George have also lived in Petersburg. I was speaking of Richmond not Newport News. The Raleigh Durham area has UNC, NC State, and Duke three major universities known nationwide. Richmond has VCU which isn't as renowed as none of the schools in Raleigh area. Richmond at least from an african american viewpoint is much more southern than tidewater. It is also the most fmdangerous city in Va with the most hoods. It is known for being the most gutta city in VA in pretty much any other place you visit. Outside of downtown neither Raleigh nor Richmond are east coastish. Richmond has areas like the fan, carytown and the southside that look like parts of New Orleans or Savannah GA. Raleigh is definitely more like Chesapeake or Va beach outside of its downtown. Richmond is much more like Greensboro the design downtown its more urban feeling. Raleigh is more suburban.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:50 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
I lived in Richmond went to school in Prince George have also lived in Petersburg. I was speaking of Richmond not Newport News. The Raleigh Durham area has UNC, NC State, and Duke three major universities known nationwide. Richmond has VCU which isn't as renowed as none of the schools in Raleigh area. Richmond at least from an african american viewpoint is much more southern than tidewater. It is also the most fmdangerous city in Va with the most hoods. It is known for being the most gutta city in VA in pretty much any other place you visit. Outside of downtown neither Raleigh nor Richmond are east coastish. Richmond has areas like the fan, carytown and the southside that look like parts of New Orleans or Savannah GA. Raleigh is definitely more like Chesapeake or Va beach outside of its downtown. Richmond is much more like Greensboro the design downtown its more urban feeling. Raleigh is more suburban.
Agree, the universities in the Triangle are overall more prominent. But RVA has more than just VCU.

The Richmond area also has the University of Richmond, where current Democratic VP candidate and former Richmond mayor, Tim Kaine, is a law professor; Randolph Macon College, where the current Representative from the 7th district who unseated the former Majority Leader of the U.S. House is also a professor; Longwood University, where the VP debate will be held this year; Hampden-Sydney College; and yes, you also have VSU, VCU and VUU.

Also, how long have you been away from living in the region? I ask because yes, Richmond had the stereotype of being a dangerous place, and it seems hard to shake particularly with former residents. But that has improved dramatically. Richmond, as the region's urban center, still has a reasonable crime rate in a state with relatively low crime rates to begin with. Greensboro has a great downtown feel and design, but I don't think it's comparable to Richmond. Culturally, Greensboro takes more of its cues from the Southern Piedmont. Richmond's hilliness, layout, denseness, rowhouses, etc and aren't reminiscent of that and youalso have a tidal river. Prince George County is perhaps the most culturally southern quadrant of the Richmond msa. But ultimately the Tri-Cities, imho are the cultural bridge between Tidewater and Richmond.

Richmond, at least today seems to be a city that behaves more like the Mid-Atlantic, but continues to hold its southern identity. For example, this below was on a Sunday in early June at a bar in Richmond called Kabana. Eh, not sure I'd call it particularly southern.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City