Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:32 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

How about Houston-Lagos.

Last edited by Spade; 08-08-2007 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Out of all the popular names, there are probably only a few that can actually match up with each other:

I would pair New York and Tokyo; Los Angeles and Hong Kong; Moscow and Chicago, but then again, no; Amsterdam and Boston; Washington, D.C. and London (Central London) maybe; but that's about it. All other cities have too much of a unique style or build to be compared to others.
I agree with you except for the DC thing. I know you specifically meant Central London. But I would say Washington DC and Paris is a much better connection.

Paris

Washington DC

Obviously, Paris is the older more established city. But Washington DC , I believe, was built to resemble Paris.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:57 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Actually, there is an explanation on how I came up with the matches:

New York City=London, Mexico City, and I'll add Tokyo to it. They are among the world's larget cities. They have many skycrapers and busy streets. Architecture wise, London looks the most like NYC with the classic and gothic style buidlings.

Los Angeles=Sydney or Tokyo. I see a lot of similarities between California and Australia, especially climate-wise and the same types of trees, also with the beaches and surfing, and the WOMEN! L.A. and Sydney are both the largest cities in their respective state or country, and they are roughly about the same population. California also looks like Japan in some ways, mainly with the dense population and coastal mountains, also since L.A. has a large Japanese population, I also picked a possible match with Tokyo. Appearance wise, Singapore looks like downtown L.A. because the office buildings look similar. Seoul could also be another city comparable to L.A.

Chicago=Paris. When I flew to Paris a few years ago, I noticed from taking the train from the Charles de Gaulle Airport that it felt like I was going to Chicago from O'Hare. Both have areas that range from industrial, to wide open fields, to high rise housing projects. The infrastructure looks similar. Parts of Paris have elevated trains, just like Chicago. Both cities have culture and class. Architecture is different though, as we know that Chicago has taller skyscrapers. Another similarity is that there is a river that runs through the city, although Paris is not by a big lake.

Detroit=Rome (see my post above)

San Diego=Perth, AUS. Again, California and Australia. Both of the cities are about the same size and have a laid-back atmosphere. S.D. and Perth are like smaller versions of L.A. and Sydney, respectively.

Atlanta=Tokyo or Sydney. With Tokyo, similar climate (which also makes trees, animal, and plant life similar), large airport, traffic, tall buildings, technology, businesses. Yeah Atlanta and Tokyo might not be the perfect match, as Tokyo is like 20 or 30 times the size and population, and the demographics are different. Atlanta's crime rate is also higher than Tokyo per capita (or maybe even the raw numbers). I also chose Sydney because while California shares some similarities with Japan, Atlanta shares those opposite similarities with Sydney, like wide open spaces (more land), less croweded, more trees, bigger houses, etc.

Seattle=Toronto or London. Toronto from what I've seen in pictures, their downtown area looks like Seattle. They have a tall tower that looks like the Space Needle. Yeah, I can see it compared to Chicago, especially since their both by the lake. I also picked London because of the climate (both are known to be always rainy). I've never been to Aukland, NZ, so I'll have to look into that one.

Portland, OR=Vancouver, BC. I guess Seattle can be put into that mix. Cities with moutains in the backgroud. Then again, they are all in the same region.

Houston=Hong Kong or Shanghai
Dallas=Beijing
New Orleans=Bangkok
Miami=Seoul

Now with the last 4, I didn't really put much thought into those. I basically figured since I started with Atlanta and Tokyo, I might as well match other southern cities with cities in Asia. The one thing Texas has in common with China is that they are big in size, that's it. (Of course, Texas is not communist, lol)

Denver=Singapore or Zurich, Switz. Singapore because of one word - clean. I also picked a city in Switzerland because of mountains. Another city I forgot to mention that I've heard compared to Denver is Calgary, ALB. They are both located just east of the front range of the Rockies.

San Francisco=Melbourne. Another city in CA with another city in AUS. S.F. and Mel. both have cooler climates, compared to S.D., L.A., Perth, and Sydney's sunnier and warmer climates.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:00 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I agree with you except for the DC thing. I know you specifically meant Central London. But I would say Washington DC and Paris is a much better connection.

Paris

Washington DC

Obviously, Paris is the older more established city. But Washington DC , I believe, was built to resemble Paris.
Yeah, seeing from those pictues, D.C. does look like Paris from the external appearance.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Miami=Seoul
That is the most ridiculous comparison I have ever seen. It's more like any larger,sprawling Latin American city. Panama City is a perfect comparison.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
How about Houston-Lagos.
I had to think about that one, but I can see the similarities. The Nigerians, plus the Lagos Lagoon sort of looks similar to Galveston Bay. Otherwise, I wouldn't exactly call them similar. I mean, Lagos isn't even a global city.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:

I can see how you came to that one, but I just compared Washington and London because of that strong historical government vibe both cities have.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I've heard Chicago and Toronto compared to each other before.
Now that I can agree with.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Amsterdam and Boston;
very astute - i would not have come up with this. i agree 100% (minus the greenhouses )

Old 08-09-2007, 09:31 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
New York and Mexico City? Mexico City is like 3rd world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City