Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,944,812 times

Advertisements

^^^ I went to Spokane for the first time just this past weekend and have to admit my surprise at how "ghetto" and pretty ugly the city was. Very industrial, dirty / gritty. The eastern suburbs were nice though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
Everyone thinks it's impossible to live in Miami and speak only English. It's not true. I have lived here for ten years and still don't speak Spanish. Conversely, I think ones life is seriously hampered if Spanish is his or her only language.
On a side note, I don't find that my semi-proficient French is very useful here. :-)

Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,447,168 times
People usually forget that Des Moines exists... Or they assume it's pronounced De Smoynz. Then they assume there's nothing to do, it's so boring, there's no culture, it's all old white republican farmers. Huh... We're not kidding ourselves, none of us think DSM is Chicago or Minneapolis or Kansas City, but we don't just sit around and stare at pigs all day. I don't even know how I would get to the nearest farm from my house.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:35 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,332,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
no not really. That's never been my impression of Long Island. The Hamptons yes, but I talk on the phone at work to clients from LI, and Hoity Toity certainly doesn't come to mind.
I was mainly referring to the impression that city people(new york city people) have of us; at least the ones that I have come in contact with.

Also, a few months/weeks ago there was a brawl on the Coney Island boardwalk(in NYC) and somebody recording made a comment that, "I bet da Swat Team would've been out here if dis was Long Island"; so he was assuming that we're all rich and have perfect law enforcement, quality of life and everything.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times
Denver...
-East of the city is boring (Because of the plains)
-There aren't many Trees (Relatively true, but not entirely true)
-Denver is all about the mountains
-The city is brown most of the year
Though i'm not originally from Denver, there something that bothers me when people criticize it.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:29 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
(Syracuse) Well, it doesn't snow for 6 months out of the year, the city isn't a big ghetto and has it's good and bad neighborhoods, it isn't like NYC like many people think anything associated with NY is like NYC, during the winter life goes on, eventhough it is a "Rust Belt" city there aren't a bunch of factories all over the places and manufacturing wasn't all the city/area was built on and it is actually affordable to live here in comparison to the national average eventhough it is in NY State. Can't forget that the population didn't decrease in the area, but actually gained about 12,000 people over the last decade.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,263,601 times
never heard of a ghetto in syracuse. lol

i don't even need to mention the negatives said about dc. dc has to be the most complained about city in the world.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:27 PM

491 posts, read 886,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ I went to Spokane for the first time just this past weekend and have to admit my surprise at how "ghetto" and pretty ugly the city was. Very industrial, dirty / gritty. The eastern suburbs were nice though.
Have you ever seen a real ghetto? Ever been to the rustbelt and seen real industrial cities? There are a few old warehouses just East of downtown along the river that are somewhat dilapidated, but it's nothing compared to the Midwestern and Northeastern industrial cities. Hell... not even close to some of the more industrial Southern cities like Birmingham.

I find it pretty ironic that you found the Eastern suburbs to be the nicer ones, since that is generally considered the trashy side of town. The South Hill and the Northwest suburbs are the truly pretty and nice parts of Spokane. Even the older neighborhoods just North of downtown are nicer than the valley (the Eastern suburbs).

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 07-12-2011 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
I've lived in Denvur all of my life and have no reason to want to go anywere else. I graguated from school pretty much rite on time and lotsof othurs do to. I hate when pepol think were all stupid when there the ones that are stupid!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 27,892 times
Pittsburgh-people have this idea of the city that is approximately 20-40 years out of date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City