Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but every time I see this, I think of my favorite... ahem... racing game from when I was a teenager:

"The Racing Game For The Chemically Imbalanced"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
While it would be chaotic if they completely shut down a long stretch of Interstate in any city, having tons of road work going on and lanes closed are an unfortunate part of living in Atlanta every weekend just about in nice weather...

Weekend Road Work To Clog Area Roadways - News Story - WSB Atlanta

But - when you live in a city of millions with traffic like L.A., or for that matter Atlanta, Houston, etc... the roads don't repair themselves. If you want to drive on them, they have to be maintained.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,204 times
This weekend has been absolutely great so far! The freeways in la are wiiiide open. The media hoopla has really made people stay home haha. They should do this more often.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
California: Top Three Spots for Worst Roads - New York Times

Not sure what you are talking about. There are pats of California where people haven't seen their roads repaired in over 30 years.
Not saying that you're wrong and obviously (given the study that you linked) you aren't the only one with this opinion, but I'm curious as to where we are lacking. I've driven pretty much everywhere in the US and I just don't see it. Where would you say that our infrastructure has deteriorated to a level that Illinois wouldn't allow? Our freeways and bridges have to be meet standards that yours wouldn't because of earthquakes. We've built lots of new rail lines and even new freeways over the last two decades.

We do have potholes, but not anymore than most places. They are repaired quickly on freeways and slower on surface streets. Especially since the recession started. I'd say that we have a much smaller pothole problem than most northern cities because most of our freeways are concrete and we don't have ice.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:32 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Not saying that you're wrong and obviously (given the study that you linked) you aren't the only one with this opinion, but I'm curious as to where we are lacking. I've driven pretty much everywhere in the US and I just don't see it. Where would you say that our infrastructure has deteriorated to a level that Illinois wouldn't allow? Our freeways and bridges have to be meet standards that yours wouldn't because of earthquakes. We've built lots of new rail lines and even new freeways over the last two decades.

We do have potholes, but not anymore than most places. They are repaired quickly on freeways and slower on surface streets. Especially since the recession started. I'd say that we have a much smaller pothole problem than most northern cities because most of our freeways are concrete and we don't have ice.
When I drove from Boston to LA in '02, I recall driving through an area of South Chicago where the roads were worn down so bad that they were literally dirt with a few bumps of ashphalt. The whole area was pretty blighted in its own right, but there was lots of traffic going down the road on both sides and it seemed to be an obviously-used thoroughfare. Anyone have any idea what street that was? I'm sure they repaired it at some point in the last ten years, but it had obviously not been repaired at all in at least a few decades. I've never seen anything like that in CA, unless it was a ghost town.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post

I don't speak for everyone, but I can tell you when I moved to L.A. from Portland a few years ago one of the first things I noticed was the poor condition of L.A.'s freeways. In certain sections the road was so bumpy it was obvious the freeway hadn't been paved in years(decades?). In Portland even the busiest roads were almost always smooth.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
So much for carmageddon:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/284065_10150241758242916_546997915_7390625_4811042 _n.jpg (broken link)

Friend posted that picture up yesterday evening, during Saturday rush hour

Aside from the 405, everything else seems to be green.

Yesterday, I got from my house to Newport Beach (70 miles away) in an hour. Usually it takes an hour and a half.

I got to LAX in 30 minutes, when it usually takes 45 even WITH the 405 open.

They should do this more often. I actually like getting around this fast. However, if we advertise it too much, people will start being more lighthearted about it and everyone will be out again

Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I drove from Boston to LA in '02, I recall driving through an area of South Chicago where the roads were worn down so bad that they were literally dirt with a few bumps of ashphalt. The whole area was pretty blighted in its own right, but there was lots of traffic going down the road on both sides and it seemed to be an obviously-used thoroughfare. Anyone have any idea what street that was? I'm sure they repaired it at some point in the last ten years, but it had obviously not been repaired at all in at least a few decades. I've never seen anything like that in CA, unless it was a ghost town.
Yeah, I-80 through the south burbs of Chicago use to be the last real pile of crap of the metro expressways/tollways up until a few years ago. It was embarassing because it's such an important road. It intersects with 8 other insterstates through the southern part of Chicagoland.

They rebuilt the Kennedy Expressway, Lakeshore Drive, the Stevenson, Wacker Drive, the Tri-State Tollway, the North-South Tollway, the Northwest Tollway, the East-West Tollway, and repaved other sections of Lakeshore as well as the Eden's and the Eisenhower Expressways.

I-80 was AWFUL. Potholes, only 6 lanes and constantly backed up for miles.

There's still a lot of traffic, but they finally rebuilt everything from the ground up like they did the city expressways and tollway network. It was billions of dollars and many years of hell, but the finished product is much better. They basically threw their cards in and doubled the size of the interstate in many areas. It's now 8-12 lanes wide through both the Illinois and Indiana sections of Chicago. It was a joint project between both states.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Why will the shut down of 405 in Los Angeles be any different from a total shutdown of a stretch of highway in any other major city? Would it be a Carmegeddon if 10 miles of highway was shutdown in New York City, Chicago, Houston or Philadelphia? How do other cities manage to get through total freeway shutdowns without it turning into a Carmegeddon?
For a few reasons. For one the 405 connects the Valley to West LA and it almost functions like a bridge except that it goes over the mountains instead of over water. Secondly our freeways are generally more crowded than other places. While rush hour traffic is pretty comparable everywhere, our rush hours are much longer and we have more traffic off peak than most places. We can have bumper to bumper traffic on a Saturday afternoon or at 9pm for no reason at all. Just traffic.

Caltrans was saying that if there was no notice given and they just shut the freeway down without so much as a warning that traffic would be expected to back up 50 miles in either direction.

As it turns out all freeways that I saw were wide open all weekend. Midday traffic looked more like 2am traffic. It was pretty incredible. Of course what might happen is that when they need to shut the freeway down again next year, people will recall how overhyped "carmageddon" was and ignore the warnings to stay away.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I don't speak for everyone, but I can tell you when I moved to L.A. from Portland a few years ago one of the first things I noticed was the poor condition of L.A.'s freeways. In certain sections the road was so bumpy it was obvious the freeway hadn't been paved in years(decades?). In Portland even the busiest roads were almost always smooth.
Which freeways? Asphalt or concrete? Concrete freeways are going to be bumpier, but they are almost a necessity out here given the geographic conditions and traffic volumes. They won't give you that smooth gliding feeling, but it's just a different surface and not indicative of neglect. However if you see lots of potholes where you are, then that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City